“Sushi With My Son”

Good for: Groups
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: I-459 & State Road 280 at the Shops of Colonnade
Description: Cutting edge full-service restaurant that meets the needs of today's savvy diners. Although Sushi is a crowd favorite, anticipate craveable taste profiles including noodle dishes, curry, fried rice dishes, steaks, seafood, Asian barbecue, small bites, soups, salads, sandwiches, and desserts. Enjoy the chic decor or dine & relax on our outdoor pergola with a signature libation. An award winning experience is waiting for you.
Decatur, Alabama
“Sushi With My Son”
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

My son and I recently went to Asian Rim Sushi Co. in Birmingham. Apparently it is a new establishment and he didn't know it was there until we found it on Trip Advisor. This place is visually appealing with a nice outdoor seating area located in The Colonnade. The interior is tastefully decorated in blues that remind one of the sea with beautiful wooden waves hanging from the ceiling. Our capable server was McKenzie with the nice blue eyes to match the decor.

My son picked the sushi. He opted for the torched miso salmon sushi. There were several pieces for sharing, which of course we did! It was delicious and the sauce set the whole thing off. For our entrees, I chose the Smoked Hawaiian Black Salt Salmon with fried rice cake and wok seared beans and my son selected the Miso Butterfish with daikon cake and seared spinach. His butterfish was steeped in miso for 72 hours. By the way, a daikon cake is made from radishes; I had to Google it!

My salmon was slightly overcooked but otherwise, very good. I tasted my son's butterfish. I had a butterfish dish in Hawaii years ago that is among my all time favorites. This dish didn't live up to my memory of the butterfish I had but it was still quite good. Oddly enough, the best part of my son't meal was the wasabi mashed potatoes...they were wonderful!

Our experience was very good and my son says he will be back since he lives in Birmingham. We went on a week night, I'll bet it is packed on the weekends.

Visited May 2013
tennisrose, Owner at Asian Rim, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Ahhhh as a mom, I can so appreciate a wonderful meal with one of my boys. I'm very happy you had such a positive dining experience on our patio. You mentioned two of my favorites, the Miso Butterfish and Wasabi Mashed Potatoes; I agree they are excellent. As the owner, I thank you for taking time to write your glowing review of Asian Rim and we hope you will return soon. Have a beautiful weekend, warm regards-Paige Hockman Owner

Gulf Shores, Alabama
“Owner's Care”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

This is a independently owned and run restaurant. I try to eat at as many "non-chain" places as I possibly can. It's nice to see owner's that care and take as much pride as these do.

• Visited March 2013
Dear Guest of Asian Rim Sushi Company,
Thank you very much for your review of Asian Rim sushi Company back in April. We try very hard as owners to personally respond to every guest who takes time out of their busy day to dine with us. Your review was particularly descriptive and gives other diners a feeling for what they can expect and for that, we thank you. Have a beautiful Holiday weekend! Warm regards- Paige Hockman Owner
Birmingham, Alabama
“Excellent food, great atmosphere, outdoor seating.”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Let me start by saying that Asian Rim has a wonderful ambience. The music is lively but not overly loud or distracting. Everything but the bamboo floors is a calming shade of blue and the wave motif that permeates the decor has a relaxing effect on you. Booth and chairs are comfortable, even at the bars. If you choose to sit outdoors, they have a wonderfully lit pergola which provides a pleasing ambience.

The service is very good. Hosts are friendly, servers are very helpful, and it's not unusual for a manager to stop by just to see how you are doing.

The food is EXCELLENT. Can't emphasize this enough. They have a full entree menu for anyone who doesn't care for sushi, and for those of us who do their selection is unparalleled! Their menu was developed in Seattle, WA, so it is completely different form the ones offered by the other local sushi restaurants. Rolls range from the safe, traditional Philadelphia Roll to the unique, sweet Hawaiian Roll to the spicy, adventurous Red Dragon Roll. They also have themed rolls including the Roll Tide Roll, War Eagle Roll, Fighting Gamecock Roll, and the Blaze Dragon Roll.

They are a bit new and still working on a few kinks, but all in all a fantastic addition to the Colonnade. Right next to several major hotels, so no need to cross major highways or navigate confusing back-roads. Great place to dine, especially for travelling. They even do to-go if you want to call your order in beforehand.

• Visited April 2013
tennisrose, Owner at Asian Rim, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Thank you so very much for your grand review of Asian Rim Sushi Company. We always enjoy hearing from our guests and try to respond to each and every review on all of the various social media platforms. We know you take time out of your day for us, so the fact that we could offer you "excellent food" in a "great atmoshpere" is extremely rewarding. As the owner of Asian Rim, I thank you and hope you will make a return visit soon! Have a beautiful weekend! Warm regards-Paige Hockman
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
“DELISH!”
Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

I Can't Stop Thinking About This Place!
The Food IS Out Of This World
Highly Recommended To Everyone I Know.
I Will Definitely Return!

tennisrose, Owner at Asian Rim, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Thank you very much for your review of Asian Rim. Because of reviews such as yours, it gives guests who have not tried Asian Rim yet the opportunity to see what others are saying. "out of this world" and "definitely return" are all we could ever possibly hope for. Thank you so much for taking the time to write about us, Best wishes Paige Hockman-Owner
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Can't stop thinking about it!!”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Something totally different for Birmingham, AL. Completely worth a short trip to The Colonnade which has become a great food hub. The best sushi I've had anywhere in the South probably because the menu was developed in Seattle. Beautiful restaurant/bar great wine list and my business partner can get a great steak orAsian Infused BBQ Chicken. Servers are always professional and knowledgeable. There at least once a week.

1 Thank Food_Freak2013
tennisrose, Owner at Asian Rim, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Dear "Food Freak"
We really like the fact that you are admittedly crazy about food! Thank you so much for your review of Asian Rim. What more can we ask for that "Can't stop Thinking About It!" We will pass along your kind words to our kitchen and staff and again thank you. Best to you, Paige Hockman Owner