“I Just Don't Get It!”

Saw's Juke Joint
Ranked #24 of 942 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“I Just Don't Get It!”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I have eaten at all three Saw's locations, and I just don't get it.

In my continuing efforts to buy into all of the hype over Saw's BBQ, I decided to give the Crestline location a try. I arrived at 11:30 am on a Saturday, and the place was void of customers, except for one other couple. The servers were no where to be found, but as the establishment started filling up, several arrived from the kitchen area, and were very attentive. I tried the BBQ Pork Sandwich ($5.75) which was good, and had enough meat on it that I was able to take some home for dinner. The Onion Rings ($3.50) were a generous portion, and just okay. They are cut similar to the onion rings at Lloyd's BBQ, but Lloyd's are much better. I also tried the Banana Pudding ($3.25). It was better than the serving I had at the Avondale location, but is still lacking in flavor, and is grossly overpriced for the portion you receive.

The Crestline location is much larger than the other two Saw's locations. The music in the dining/bar areas was not blaring, like the other two locations, but the kitchen did have their music cranked up. You had the pleasure of listening to a mixture of two entirely different forms of music. Also like the other locations, you will smell like your lunch for the remainder of the day.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank OUTCRUISIN2610

Birmingham, Alabama
“Try the Fried Green Tomato BLT”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

On our first night in Birmingham, we sought out this restaurant on the email advice from a guy who works at a local brewery. The first sign it was going to be good was the music playing over the speakers.

My Fried Green Tomato BLT was so tall there was no way I could bite into it, so I attacked it with a fork and knife. My side was grits which arrived nice and cheesy.

Pluses: craft beers

Interesting: Deviled eggs as a side

Next time I want to try: One of the stuffed taters (there are 8 on the menu)

• Visited November 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Amazing quality in a casual setting”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Saws BBQ empire continues to grow and impress in the Bham area, with a fresh mix of modern and traditional in bringing great BBQ classics and soul food dishes back to life.

Great drinks and great food to be had here in a non-smoking environment. Drunks won't be tolerated as this is a neighborhood establishment and children are of course welcomed. With that said, at night it does have more of a dimmed light and adult favoring environment, however all the patrons were friendly and focused on enjoying their delicious food. You can however have some great drinks or craft beers here - just don't drink and drive for the sake of the great Birmingham people.

Try anything that ends with 'n'greens' and thank me later.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Zach F
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great place to take visitors”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Heard good things so it was the first place we checked out once moving here. Stuck to the "daily special" which is a crazy BBQ creation, but awesome and the same item each day. Busy place, but usually fairly fast service, more so than other reviews indicated. Good dive atmosphere, with bands on weekend nights, and a great selection of local beers to pair with wide assortment of southern food options...but the daily the pork and greens is the way to go. A great place to take guests when they are in town.

Visited September 2013
South Windsor
“BBQ at its best”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I went there with 13 others. There is a room in the back for a group about our size. Everyone enjoyed their meals. We started with fried pickles and their smoked wings. Both were outstanding. I had the catfish with sweet potato fries. They were both very good. If I get a chance to go back to AL, I would certainly visit this place again. The service was great and the price was right. We also tried their desserts. I had the caramel cake was good.

• Visited October 2013