“Overwhelming Sense of History”

Rickwood Field Park
Ranked #20 of 93 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: America's oldest baseball park and former home of the Birmingham Barons is a place where visitors can relive the magic of baseball's glory years.
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Rickwood Field is the oldest surviving professional baseball park in the United States. There is no fee to visit and to take the self guided tour. You are free to walk virtually the entire facility. The history is overwhelming when you realize that you are walking the same bases that Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth and a host of others ran during their careers.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

I'm form the Macon,Ga area and very much appreciate the old style ball park, I was also a help and coach in the movie "42" with Jackie Robinson and would still love to see the place where it was filmed.. I love the lights and the close fan base they had back in those days..

Reviewed 8 May 2013

My family visited Rickwood last month on a trip to Birmingham. This was one of the highlights of the trip to me. We visited during a day where there was no game, and other than a staff member or volunteer of some sort, we were the only people there. Look for the self-guided tour brochure near the entrance; it's full of good information about the park's history.

Because there was no game that day, we were able to go just about anywhere in the park we wanted (only the press box was locked). We traversed the concourse and stands, then made our way down onto the field, where my almost 4-year-old son ran the bases to his heart's content and enjoyed sitting in the dugout. My wife and I walked the circumference of the field, checking out the old signs and even the original concrete wall behind the "regular" outfield fence.

If you enjoy baseball history, this is a must-see.

Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

Great place to visit if you're a baseball junky like me. Oldest active park. Catch a game or available tour. Lots of history. Oh if these old dugout walls could talk.

1  Thank harryscards
Reviewed 16 April 2013

If you get a chance, go see a game here. This field is older than Wrigley. They used it in 42, the movie. Nothing compares to the feel-it's like going back in time