“2009 Rickwood Classic - I wont soon forget it !!”

Rickwood Field Park
Ranked #20 of 94 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: America's oldest baseball park and former home of the Birmingham Barons is a place where visitors can relive the magic of baseball's glory years.
Reviewed 9 June 2009

As a huge baseball fan, i planned my entire vacation around the annual Rickwood Classic and was not diappointed. I love historic, old ballparks and this is as good as it gets. Rickwood is ready to celebrate its 100 birthday next year and has all the charm you would expect. There is a self guided tour you can go on to learn more about the park. It hasnt lost any of its character and for any baseball fan, this is a must see. The Classic was $9 for general admission which was fine because we sat in the first row above the box seats, right behind the plate. Great seats. Met some locals and many former Negro League ballplayers. Even got access to the roof and walked around the classic, unique light standards and got some awesome pictures. During the game a foul ball knocked out a light and the shards fell down on the dugout like a scene from the Natural, haha. 16 oz beers were priced at 4.50 which isnt too bad and the locals are so friendly. Wish i lived closer so i could attend every year!

A TripAdvisor Member
Bessemer, AL
Reviewed 27 July 2005

As a kid my dad took me to Rickwood field whenever he could leave his office in time. I must have been five or six when we went for the first time.

The Barons played The Memphis Chicks and won a 14-6 slugfest. I later saw Bo Jackson play for a visiting team when he was in the Kansas City organization. I felt a little wierd when everyone cheered his homerun. After all it did give the visitors the lead. Rickwood was my big league park as a kid. These days all of the green in the seating area and on the outter shell of the park kind of puts me in the mind of Fenway Park. I don't know in its day if it could have been called a "downtown" ballpark, but I am reminded of Wrigley Field when I snake my way through the nieghborhood to the front entrance. The unique lighting at Rickwood is well documented along with its age, and its history of hosting some legendary ballplayers. Some might overlook its "No Rain Out" streak that lasted for several years. But how many remember Southern League Home Run Power Rondal Roland, or the staduim announcer in the early eighties who would pronounce our third basemen's name... George Foooooooooooooosianas. One of the most important ingredients I haven't mentioned yet are the dogs. Until the day I die, I know my dad would agree, the best hot dogs in the world could be found at the old ballpark across the tracks... Mustard, Ketchup, and a touch of Relish, nothing fancy. There are many things that give a ballpark its charactar, and being the oldest ballpark in America certainly doesn't hurt in that area. To date I have visited double digit major league ball parks including, Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, and various others, but I will always treasure the days of hot dogs with my dad down the Rickwood first baseline.

Greg Langford

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed 23 November 2004

Free, self guided tours are available during daylight hours at historic Rickwood Field. Built in 1910, it was the home for years for the Birmingham Barons and the Birmingham Black Barons. It was here in 1948 that a Birmingham teenager by the name of Willie Mays led the Black Barons to the Negro American League Championship. The oldest surviving Negro League home field, Rickwood is being lovingly restored to its 1948 appearance. A must-see for any baseball lover.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member