“Just a Few things Away From Great”

Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 8 July 2012

This is a beautiful hotel with a beautiful pool and golf courses. The front desk staff and the bellmen are very friendly and courtious. My family and I stayed for a second time spending three days on a in-town vacation. Management planning is a problem. The pool bar (for cokes or icees for kids) doen't open until 11:00, even on a holiday with a crowd at the pool at 9:00. Bar closes early despite a crowd standing in line for drinks. You are sent upstairs to the main bar in wet bathing suits and cold air conditioning. Hamburgers and hot dogs are grilled beside the pool but when they ran out of regular chips at 12:30, couldn't/wouldn't bother to go inside to get any. On July 4th there were not nearly enough chairs at 10:00 beside the pool and no attempt was made to add additional seating. Service and food in the clubhouse dining/bar area was good Valet parking was expensive and when we called ahead to have the car brought up, the front desk did not pass on the request to the valet parking staff. The location is somewhat remote but there is plenty of dining and shopping 15 minutes away. Will go back again but wish that the same issues would not come up on every visit.

Room Tip: You can have a room with a balcony overlooking the pool or the load out point for the golf course. w...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Very good value. Staff friendly and helpful. Upon arrival, I was given a coupon for 2 free pizzas, 4 sodas and a movie for each night of my stay! I didn't pay a special rate for this.

Awesome pool. Course is beautiful, as are the grounds. Great stay!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 4 July 2012

First, I must say that the grounds at this resort are immaculate. It does seem that the whole theme is to cater to the golfer and nobody else. Yes, I realize this is a golf resort, but there is also a spa. We are golfers, but we didn't play this weekend. It was a birthday trip for my wife's birthday.

We checked into the hotel early (about 2 p.m.), and our room was ready. However, when we arrived, there was still room service trash outside our room door. The room was very nice, but the beds are small. These are supposed to be queen beds, but I think they are fulls. We have a queen at home, and these are not the same. The wrap around balcony was great, and it provided a great view of the pool, golf course, and mill fountain.

After we checked into our room, we had spa appointments. The spa was great, but I will review that separately. Attendants are very attentive and provide for all requests quickly. One of my requests was to have a reservation at the hotel restaurant (Brock's), but it was closed??... Really, on Sunday to a captive audience? So, we went to the Clubhouse for my wife's birthday dinner. It wasn't too bad, but I will review that separately, too. I just can't believe with all of the families around the resort that the main restaurant would be closed.

That brings me to my next point, the kids... There were so many children wandering all over the resort, it became a circus. I guess the wives and kids get left behind by golfers, so they have to crowd the pool and hot tub. This could have passed for a kids waterpark, all the way up until midnight.... There were screaming kids right outside our window until midnight. I hope that the hotel doesn't respond to this review by saying that the pool closes at 10, because then they weren't very observant to the rules and didn't enforce them.

I had ordered a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, which was to be delivered by 5 p.m. We left for dinner at nearly 6:15, and no room service yet. While at dinner, I went to check on the progress and was told that the items were in the room, now. Nearly 2 hours late on room service at a proclaimed luxury hotel....Mmmm, unacceptable to me. Additionally, the room towels were extremely rough and really thin. It seems like there were quite a few things that this place just misses due to lack of attention to detail.

Room Tip: Ask for the wrap around balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank COBB64
Reviewed 28 June 2012

It is a beautiful hotel, and as Wendy S puts it, service I experienced was pretty poor, although mainly oin the restaurant right when I arrived. Couldn't get table service for over an hour, and only then after many complaints from 4 people at my table! This was in "The Clubhouse" after that long wait, the food wasn't all that good either. No wonder I saw so many pizza cartons strewn about hallways when I arrived. This happened twice to people in my group, and the restaurant was not busy either time.
I was billed, not credit hold, but actually billed to my credit card, $150 for incidentals on arrival, then taxed on something they couldn't explain to me on departure. The room's A/C never worked properly, set to 65, said it was 67 degrees, but the thermometer I had on my phone, and the sweat on my brow told me different, never got below 76 with shades completely closed. Overall, pretty poor experience, very poor value. I have had better rooms at much less expensive hotels, with more amenities thrown in.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank John R
Reviewed 20 June 2012 via mobile

Beautiful hotel with crappy service except in restaurants and spa.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This is a beautiful place, but it has to worst management of any Marriott facility I have ever visited. I travel extensively and have 47 nights in Marriott hotels and and nearly as many in Hilton in the first 6 months of this year. I was recently at the Marriott Grand in Point Clear, the Renaissance DuPont Circle in DC and will be staying at the Renaissance Blackstone in Chicago in July. When I arrived at Ross Bridge to check in I was told I was already checked in. The desk clerk insisted i was checked in even though I was standing in front of him with my credit card and ID. They finally got someone to check the room and discovered someone else had been checked into my room. The room had been left in my name and under my credit card. I was assured that this was a mistake made by an inexperienced desk clerk. I was given another room. When I got to this room I found it was a lesser level room than my reservation. Back to the desk, given another room. This room had a beautiful view of the parking lot and the propane storage facility. This time I called Renaissance customer service. They contacted the facility manager and then connected him to me. I was moved to a much nicer room and assured the staff would make sure that my credit card would not be charged for the original room. I was also told my room would be discounted to make up for the inconvenience. During my stay I observed areas of the facility that were poorly managed. In the Clubhouse grill the wait staff was very inexperienced and many of the customers were disgruntled. Most of the staff with the exception of the bell staff acted like it was an effort to even speak. This hotel needs new management to get it back up to the standard of a Renaissance.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank outdere
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Recently I stayed here on Business for an event, it was only a 3 day affair so I wasn't worried too much about somewhere fantastic, however its always nice to stay at a nice hotel.

The hotel is around a 30 minute ride from Birmingham Shuttlesworth Airport and honestly is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, I didn't have a rental car or anything and very quickly realised I didn't pack any hairgel ( can't be showing up at a work event with unkempt hair ), quickly realising its literally MILES to get anywhere close to convenience I had to go to the Hotel store, which was pleasant enough but I wish I could have avoided paying $25 for Hairgel

For our event it was catered by the hotel and the food was incredible ( I strongly recommend their mac and cheese ), the overall size and layout of the Hotel is good and its very classy with a good size pool area and also a decent size indoor pool / spa.

My room was just a standard room, but was a good size with a flat screen TV and a nice size bathroom with a good size walk-in shower, I had a small balcony which overlooked a wooded area behind the hotel, and while standing outside was surprised when I noticed a bagpipe player walking the grounds playing, I soon found out that this is a regular occurence and happens everyday at sundown...a nice touch.

Overall I would recommend a stay here, I didn't get to play any golf but it looks like it has a world class course, and while there were a few gripes, overall it was a pleasant experience, however if you don't have a method of transportation, be warned that you're pretty much confined to the grounds !!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business