“Fantastic Experience”

Ranked #13 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
ctyadmcc
“Fantastic Experience”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Just driving up to the property I knew this was going to be a great experience. I self-parked and checked in quickly. The lobby area was very nice and a comfortable place to hang out. The room was fantastic. The two chair balcony provided a great view of the hills and provided a fair degree of privacy. The room was very classy. The bed was comfortable. The fridge and safe were nice to have. The bathroom was very nice but the shower was a bit small. A nice improvement would be a curved shower curtain rod rather than the straight one. They have a moderate size pool with zero entry, a small water slide and a good size pool deck. We had some meals served at our meetings and it was outstanding! Nice variety and very well prepared! I had a great time at this location, felt very comfortable and upscale, and i'd love to stop by again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Rick S, General Manager at Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
We are so pleased your stay with us was up to standard. I am glad you were able to experience all the wonderful features of Ross Bridge! I love your idea on the curved showed curtain rod, I will be sure to look into the possibilities of adding them! Thank you very much for your feedback, we hope to see you again in the near future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My husband and I and another couple just returned from a weekend getaway at the Renaissance Ross bridge Golf Resort.It was very relaxing and quiet food was great! Tony in engineering got our fire pit to work after we were told it wasn't working! Thank you Tony, also Annithia from sales was very helpful answered all questions also dried chairs off around fire pit. Kristina Johnson in housekeeping great asset to hotel need more like her. My husband said associates in Pro Shop need to help guest and show them where to go another guest had to show them, but young lady driving golf carts and young man on first tee was nice! But all and all was wonderful we will be back. Rhonda Moon moondog_777@charter.net

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful compliments! I shared your review with my associates and they were delighted to learn how much of an impact they had on making your stay relaxing and enjoyable. We hope you return soon for another delightful getaway!
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I just returned from a weekend at the Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa. Was very please with this hotel. Upon arriving my daughter said, "I feel like a princess driving up to this hotel." The place is absolutely gorgeous. We got this hotel for $67 on Priceline...what a deal. The rooms were clean and very spacious. Front door staff were very friendly and spoke each time we entered asking how our day went. I would recommend this hotel and plan on going back again in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Paige B
Rick S, General Manager at Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
We are happy to hear you had such a wonderful experience! Renaissance Ross Bridge is very similar to Balnagown Castle, which is the Ross Family Castle in the Highland area of Scotland. We hope you visit us again soon and feel like royalty when you return!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This hotel has the potential of being a 4 or even 5 star hotel, but because of poor housekeeping, which in my opinion equates to poor management, I have to give it 3 stars. It's the details, the little things that make a difference between hotels that are ranked high and considered luxury hotels and the wannabes! This hotel is a wannabe! I liked that I only paid $60/night for this hotel thru priceline. It usually goes for $200/night. I even think some folks pay close to $400/ nightly for a parlor room. I think I would be upset if I paid $200/ night for this place. Overall, it's a nice hotel with the potential to be great. This hotel gives the facade of luxury as you enter it, however that changes with the poor housekeeping. It's really sad because it has the makings of a luxury hotel. Overall, I would stay here again for $60 night, it was clean, convenient and I got a sweet deal thru Priceline. We are still here and will check out tomorrow. I'm curious to see if check out will be as smooth as check in. Also, we've been out all day and once again, housekeeping came, but failed to clean the bathroom again! Whats up with this place? I've met a ton if nice people that say this is the best that Birmingham has to offer, if this is the case, the locals should raise their standards. I've stayed in plenty of 4 and 5 star hotels, and this one does not cut it. Once again, this place is cool if you get it super discounted like I did, or for a nights stay. I would recommend this place to people especially with families, there are a ton of kids here including my own! Maybe for golfers only, the golfing grounds are beautiful. Maybe not for couples/ romance, go somewhere else.

Pros:
Beautiful, well kept grounds
Amazing golf course
Beautiful high end cars as you pull up to check in, makes you feel rich!
Spacious rooms
Spacious bathroom upon arrival
Clean room
Comfortable bed/ pillows/ queen double beds
Nice bath tub
Nice spacious shower
Nice outdoor terrace/ balcony
Check in, easy and smooth
Aveena shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, face moisturizer and soap
Grand hotel lobby- comfortable seating area
Nice bar, with wonderful outside seating- heated outside seating
Beautiful outdoor pool and hot tub- super wacky water slide at outdoor pool
Good restaurant downstairs on club house level- Club house grill- great burgers, sandwiches and nachos- a ton of food, reasonably priced.
Front desk Staff very nice and professional
Elevators easily accessible
Complimentary parking- close to resort
Valet only $16/daily- kind of reasonable compared to other hotels! Most hotels charge from 20-30/ daily to park
Great breakfast
Small Business center , but typical of most hotels
Nice work out room
Coffee bar- looks cool, however I did not try the coffee.
Nice game room for kids.

Cons:
NO FREE WIFI- $9.95 day- they should get with the program, jump on the luxury hotel band wagon! Every luxury, 5 star hotel I've stayed in, even 3-4 stars on down offer free WIFI
Poor housekeeping
Housekeepers kind of loud in the early morning hours.
We had to keep asking for towels because house keeping would not leave any, or they would not leave enough.
They were so slow bringing towels, my husband had to go down a few times to get them.
No towels In pool area. I requested towels and so did another woman, we waited for 20 minutes, I had to go back up to front desk and ask for towels again. Finally we just went ahead and got in the pool,after an hour, someone brought towels.
House keeping left dirty glasses we used the night before the next day after they cleaned up room the next day.
Our bathroom stays dirty the entire stay, was never cleaned the entire time we've been here, well maybe once, I did notice that some of the hair was gone from the floor, but the sink and shower stayed dirty.
There was a hint of a mildew odor- not strong enough to request a new room, but noticeable.
There was a medium size hole in our comforter. How could housekeeping miss this? And a hole in my kids sheets as well! Really?
Sheets too small for queen beds! Fitted sheets kept coming up. How did housekeeping get them on bed? The sheets were made for full size beds. As a result, as we slept, our sheets came up and we were on mattress!
I had to wash out our drinking glasses before we used them, they were cloudy.
Husband had to request new drinking glasses the next day, because the dirty ones from the night before were left in our room.
Housekeeping did not replace our shower gel, shampoo, conditioner or face moisturizer the entire time. They did replace the soap.
The indoor pool area was dirty dirty dirty, towels, paper, gum on floor near pool area. Once again, a housekeeping issue.
The indoor hot tub, burnt my eyes due to high levels of chlorine.
The railing going into the hot tub was loose. So as you step in, hold on tight because you may fall as you enter the hot tub.
Hot tub had sand in it.
There was rust around the hot tub area.
Not enough chairs in pool area( in door)

Also, my daughter and I are in the public area to use free WIFI, when I asked front desk if I was logging on correctly, he told me that I was, but I was unable to connect using public connection. I then went back up to front desk and asked again, because I logged on as guest wireless, and it prompted me to use a password. When I asked if needed a pass code or password, the gentlemen looked at me perplexed as if I was speaking a foreign language. The gentlemen next to him promptly gave me a pass code to use! Thank goodness the other guy was there, because if he had not been there, I probably would not have gotten the help I needed! So, once again, yes I would stay here again for a deep discount, would I stay here if I had to pay full price, heck NO!

Room Tip: Take towels with you to pool area. If not, you may not get one in the pool area!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TonifromOhio
Thank you for taking the time write a review during your stay at Ross Bridge! I am pleased to know you enjoyed some of the wonderful amenities we have to offer. Next time you enjoy a meal at The Clubhouse, try our famous Macaroni and Pulled Pork! I also appreciate the cons you listed. These have become top priority and I can assure you they will be taken care of. I will speak to you soon regarding the room you stayed in so we can ensure the issues you listed are resolved. We look forward to having you back at the castle!
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

My colleague and I were in town for an educator workshop and decided to stay here one night afterward. I cannot begin to express how beautiful the property is. We were promptly greeted from the valet to the front desk. Check-in was very easy and everyone was professional. The bellman was equally pleasant and helpful. The room was spacious and comfortable. Check-out was just as smooth and pleasant. The service here was unsurpassed. I plan to return next month with a friend for a mini vacation.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Rick S, General Manager at Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
We are so pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay with us. I will be sure to share your complements with my staff. Please come visit the castle again soon!
Macon, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I planned a get together with 5 of my high school friends and booked 2 adjoining rooms. I was a little worried about us trying to cram 6 people's stuff in 2 small hotel rooms but boy did I have a surprise. Upon check in, the cute front desk girl told me we were going to really like my room, it had a great view. We got up there, opened the door to find we had been upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite with an adjoining room!!! The space was wonderful and the view from the balcony was to die for - especially when we were able to fully see the man who came around playing the bagpipes every night - so cool!!! We truly enjoyed every second of our stay. The rooms had all been renovated and smelled so fresh and new. The front desk staff was so helpful and arranged for a golf cart to take us to the great Italian restaurant which was right down the road. Our room came with the breakfast buffet for 2 both mornings and wow was that ever good. Made to order omelets, waffles, scones, bacon etc. We all had appointments in the spa which we thoroughly enjoyed too. All in all it was the perfect place for us to "get away" and have fun together. I would highly recommend it and can't wait to go again!

Room Tip: Room 501 is a 1 bedroom suite and a corner room and has a balcony with a view of the pool and the go...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jacki S
Rick S, General Manager at Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Jacki,
Thank you for choosing Ross Bridge for your weekend getaway! Your compliments on our services are greatly appreciated and we will look forward to having you back in the near future!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Currently staying at the hotel and have experienced nothing but poor service from the staff at this hotel. I've never seen so many different employees indifferent to their guests, from the front desk, room service, to the "at your service person". The hotel is indeed beautiful and the rooms large and comfy. Such as shame that the employees are so rude and poorly trained. I really wanted to like and enjoy this hotel on the recommendation of a coworker.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank mooji
Rick S, General Manager at Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review concerning your recent stay with us. The negative customer service that you received greatly disappointments me and I apologize that you were not treated with the high-quality level of service that we strive for at Ross Bridge. I will reach out to you privately to hopefully hear more about your experience and to ensure this does not happen again in the future.