All reviewsbeautiful resortclubhouse restaurantplay golfgreat golfpro shopbag pipesbagpipe playerpool areartj trailbreakfast buffet isroom servicelong weekendbusiness meetingrooms are nicesouthern hospitalityvalet parkingbrocks
Reviewed 17 October 2017

I attended a sponsored event attending the NASCAR race in Talladega this past weekend. We stayed at the Ross Bridge Resort. My last visit here was in 2007. It was a good this past weekend as it was 10 years ago. The service was excellent, the room was very nice, and everyone there made us feel welcome.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2017

It looks like a castle when you arrive.When you stay here every detail is looked out for. The room is spacious and comfortable, the facilities, restaurants and bars, business center, exercise rooms indoor and outdoor pools etc. are first class so I felt we got our monies worth. the parking is a little far if you choose not to use valet parking.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the 4th floor facing the pool
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

We were on a road trip from Nashville to New Orleans and found this place while on the road. I could not imagine arriving at a better place then this one. The pool area is great and the front desk and valet service are fab. The food in the restaurant is good, but one of the waiters has never heard of hospitality and was horrible. We asked him for mayonnaise he said before they ran out but never concluded a yes or know and his colleague did get it for us. When we ordered a new drink he said bar is locked down and closed final round has passed. After we heard a waitress calling for final rounds and she did manage to get us a drink. Second night we chose a table in her area and she was a delight. Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to explore the entire area and spa but based on the experience we had I would definitely recommend.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 October 2017

I have stayed at Ross Bridge several times over the past year (2017). I live in NYC and my elderly father lives in Birmingham. I take frequent trips to Birmingham so he and I can spend quality weekends together in a nice, relaxing setting.

Overall, my Ross Bridge trips in 2017 have been generally positive, but this most recent trip (October 2017) was unsatisfactory. I experienced REAL issues with check-in, housekeeping, and privacy/security. I'm not very picky, and I can say that we had 5 negative incidents in fewer than 4 days. I likely won’t return to Ross Bridge.

In all fairness, I really want to love this resort, because there are not many luxury options in Birmingham. The grounds are lush and beautiful -- the exterior is outstanding. But (and I say this with all honestly) my last experience was far from luxury. It was mediocre, at best, and for $1200 for a long weekend, Ross Bridge needs to do better.

If you care to read further for additional detail, please do. I don't normally write so much, but it's important to be specific when things don't go well:

1.) When I arrived, the check-in counter was absent of any staff, whatsoever. I had to wait 10 minutes (alone) for the desk-clerk to show up and check me in. When he arrived at the main desk, I wasn't really greeted, but more treated as a nuisance. I was friendly, despite feeling a bit bothered by the bad start. Maybe the desk-clerk was annoyed because I had a late check-in? I had called earlier that day and informed them my flight would not arrive until 10pm. I checked in at 11pm and was not made to feel welcome at all.

2.) While not a huge deal-breaker, my room was a bit dingy and dated. The ceiling light fixture (glass cover) was cracked and broken; the shower stall had several holes drilled into the wall and were not covered; both bed headboards were cracked and really dated. This is not what I would expect from a nice, 4-star hotel. I'm paying 4 star prices and getting a 2 or 3 star room. Again, not a deal-breaker, but something to note to potential guests.

3.) Late on the 2nd night, someone in the hallway inserted their key into my room-door and was able to push open the door. I luckily had the bolt positioned so the door couldn't open very far. There was a VERY loud bang when the door hit the bolt, so the person was pushing very hard. Startled, I woke up, jumped out of bed, and the person on the other side of my bolted door (really drunk) said “I'm very sorry” and then left. I don't know exactly what happened, or how the person was able to open my door...but it was an unsettling experience.

4.) Since it was Sunday (I'm assuming because it was Sunday), my room did not get housekeeping services -- Not that big of a deal. After spending the day out of our room, and coming back to no housekeeping, we realized we were out of clean towels and had no clean drinking glasses. We also had a large pile of dirty towels on the floor in the bathroom. I called “Delighted to Serve”, using the button on my hotel phone. The woman was VERY kind, and sounded so pleasant, and she said she would be happy to send someone to replenish the towels and take the dirty ones away. Also, she said they'd be happy to bring two fresh drinking glasses to us. I called at 5pm, but neither towels nor drinking glasses ever came to the room. I wasn't going to request twice. I rinsed the drinking glasses in the bathroom sink, and we used our dirty towels the next morning and simply checked out. Not good. Not 4 star. $1200 for 4 nights.

I've taken pictures of the issues. I also tried to contact Ross Bridge directly (this morning). I was put on hold for several minutes and then got disconnected. It's not worth my time to file any sort of formal complaint -- maybe it was just a really bad weekend for the hotel.

Either way, I probably won't spend my money here anymore.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Charles S
Rick S, General Manager at Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear "I've frequented Ross Bridge 4 Times in 2017. Sadly, my recent Ross Bridge experience was poor",

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your recent stay. We are deeply sorry to hear that you were left with such a negative impression of our hotel and our service. Our guests are our number one priority and it is clear from your comments that we have missed the mark with you. This is certainly not the standard to which we hold ourselves and we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. We understand that there are many choices when it comes to choosing a hotel and we thank you for choosing Ross Bridge. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the future.

Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

This is my second time visiting this property and again it did not disappoint. The staff were courteous and friendly. The food was really good and the rooms were spacious. I also enjoyed spa services by a very experienced therapist. The size of the hotel was not overwhelming but just right for our group of 200.

I look forward to visiting again with my family.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business