“End of an Era”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Pete's Famous Hot Dogs
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Unfortunately, Gus - who ran the place since 1948 - died this year, and it hasn't been opened back up. I heard that the other family members weren't interested or able to keep it open... Gus came to work everyday and in fact worked the day he died and was found in his home. Unfortunately, I only went once with my dad when I was younger.

10  Thank MarkAlabama

Reviewed 8 June 2009

I've had better, but they were pretty good dog's. The place is SUPER TINY and there is NO place to sitdown or anything like that. It's basically a hotdog stand that's been tucked into a large closet. Prices are OK. I bought 4 special dogs w/ cheese, 2 small cokes, and 2 bags of chips for $16. Like I said, they were good dogs, but i doubt i'll visit again.

3  Thank kevster77
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Very yummy hot dogs. We were thrown off by the size of the place. Literally standing room only in a very small space. So, be prepared to get your dog handed to you in a piece of 'wax paper' and eat it on the spot. An odd, yet neat experience and very yummy hot dogs.

2  Thank texastravels4
Reviewed 10 March 2009

Pete's Famous has been a Birmingham landmark for over fifty years ! That must say something. The owner is Gus Koutroulakis and he makes the experience so much more fun and colorful. He has such a great sense of humor and he serves up a mean hotdog. I have been going there since I was a little girl and will always stop in for a visit whenever possible. I highly recommend it.

2  Thank butterflybabe_9
Reviewed 2 July 2008

We drove out of our way to get to this place only to find it was closed. It actually seemed like all of downtown was closed. It was my fault for not finding the hours of service but I could tell it had been there a while and it didn't look like there was much room inside.