For a hotel convenient to the north pavilion of UAB, this is perfectly located. Aside from location though, I found it subpar to other Courtyards I've stayed in.
This property is adjacent to the 4th Ave. Parking Deck. As a guest you'll park in this deck, and your parking is validated. The process however is somewhat inconvenient as each time you plan on leaving the deck, you have to get a pass for the exit gate from the hotel's front desk. The Sky Lobby for the hospital is located at this deck, which offers you quick walking access to the majority of the UAB complex without ever having to step outdoors (aside from a ~20 yd walk to deck from lobby).
We stayed here while a family member was a patient at UAB, and this let us go from hotel to hospital room in mere moments. Location was perfect.
Beyond location, much was left to be desired:
Elevators were comically slow. Not necessarily the wait, but their speed. By far the slowest I've ever been on.
Toilet ran every few minutes. Loud and often enough housekeeping had to have noticed it, but evidently never reported it to maintenance.
Air conditioner was not working when we got to room. Again, why is housekeeping not reporting problems they find? Maintenance personnel came promptly, but had a poor attitude. He lingered for a tip. Sorry, I'm not tipping a maintenance man for repairing something that should have been working before I checked in.
Like most courtyards, it showed some wear, but it wasn't an issue. It is a value brand, not a Ritz-Carlton, so my expectations are realistic. Aside from these issues the room was fine.
I do want to say we arrived early and inquired about an early checkin, as we were going to be at the hospital that afternoon. They were kind and handled it without issue.
I hope our bad room was an anomaly. Based on my good experiences with other Courtyards and Marriott properties in general, I would stay here again if I had the need. The location is the main factor in this decision.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blaze your way to a successful stay at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB. Our modern hotel offers unbeatable access to UAB Hospital. Just take our connecting sky bridge to attend an informational lecture or visit loved ones. We are also within walking distance from the University of Alabama at Birmingham and a short drive from Vulcan Park & Museum, Five Points South and Birmingham Zoo. Following your eventful day, make yourself at home in our rooms and suites. We provide complimentary Wi-Fi, luxurious bedding and ergonomic workstations. After some rest, wake up and boost your energy with a workout at our fitness center. Then satisfy your built-up appetite at The Bistro, open for breakfast and dinner. We also feature a Market stocked with snacks and beverages for your convenience. When it comes to your work needs, we have you covered with equipped event venues and a business center. Whatever the reason for your visit, Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB is here to serve you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard By Marriott Birmingham Downtown Uab Hotel Birmingham
- Courtyard Birmingham Downtown Uab
- Birmingham Courtyard
- Birmingham Marriott