“Most Convenient Hotel to UAB”

Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB
Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 10 December 2013

For a hotel convenient to the north pavilion of UAB, this is perfectly located. Aside from location though, I found it subpar to other Courtyards I've stayed in.

This property is adjacent to the 4th Ave. Parking Deck. As a guest you'll park in this deck, and your parking is validated. The process however is somewhat inconvenient as each time you plan on leaving the deck, you have to get a pass for the exit gate from the hotel's front desk. The Sky Lobby for the hospital is located at this deck, which offers you quick walking access to the majority of the UAB complex without ever having to step outdoors (aside from a ~20 yd walk to deck from lobby).

We stayed here while a family member was a patient at UAB, and this let us go from hotel to hospital room in mere moments. Location was perfect.

Beyond location, much was left to be desired:

Elevators were comically slow. Not necessarily the wait, but their speed. By far the slowest I've ever been on.

Toilet ran every few minutes. Loud and often enough housekeeping had to have noticed it, but evidently never reported it to maintenance.

Air conditioner was not working when we got to room. Again, why is housekeeping not reporting problems they find? Maintenance personnel came promptly, but had a poor attitude. He lingered for a tip. Sorry, I'm not tipping a maintenance man for repairing something that should have been working before I checked in.

Like most courtyards, it showed some wear, but it wasn't an issue. It is a value brand, not a Ritz-Carlton, so my expectations are realistic. Aside from these issues the room was fine.

I do want to say we arrived early and inquired about an early checkin, as we were going to be at the hospital that afternoon. They were kind and handled it without issue.

I hope our bad room was an anomaly. Based on my good experiences with other Courtyards and Marriott properties in general, I would stay here again if I had the need. The location is the main factor in this decision.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Patriot33
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Patriot33,
I appreciate you taking the time to share with the community the positives and negatives about your stay in June. We are very close to the Medical Center and many people agree with you that is one of our biggest positives. As well as doing our best to accomodate the wishes of our guests with early check ins when available. I do apologize for the issues that you found with your room and bringing these to our attention will allow us to improve for future guests. I hope that you have a health filled holiday season.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This is my second time staying at this great hotel. The rooms are always clean and comfortable. It was quiet and I had a relaxing night's sleep. I enjoy the Bistro snack area downstairs and the public areas are clean and well-kept.

This hotel has convenient parking and you can also get a free pass to the fantastic UAB gym and swimming pool. That is super. The employees all seem very caring and made sure we had everything we needed during our stay. Best of all it was close to family who live downtown.

Room Tip: A room facing the back of the hotel would be quieter than one in the front. Our room faced the UAB...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank scoobytrips
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Scoobytrips,
Thank you for the great review of the hotel. I very much appreciate the comments about the team and will be passing your review on to them. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Friendly staff at the front desk and in the bistro. Rooms were nicely appointed and clean. Food in the bistro somewhat limited but what they have is prepared well and tasty. If you have business at UAB this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Alexander B
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Alexander
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I have shared your comments with the front office team and the bistro team and they appreciate them a great deal. Look forward to taking care of your needs the next time you are in Birmingham.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I checked in, went to my room, and checked out.

I got to the elevator and let two of them go by because a guy who looked like he belong in hospiced filled up the first one with wheelchair and care crew and then the another guy who was coughing a storm was ahead of me.

This is in front of the emergency room and I could hear the siren from my room as soon as I stepped in.

I thought to myself how many sick people have been in this room. I felt like I was in the hospital. It's not for me.

Also, parking was a big pain.

If you're staying at the hospital you'll love it. If you're a Golden Girl you'll love it, too. Otherwise, avoid it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank UofLtraveler
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear U of L Traveler,

Thank you for adding your comments about my hotel on Trip Advisor. The majority of our guests are staying with us for the use of the Medical facility. We are easy to access the facility via the skybridge. I do understand the feelings that you may have felt as you arrived at the hotel. I want to assure you that we go to great lengths to keep our rooms not only clean but sanitized. Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased to see on your review that you rated us high for staff service. Safe travels,

Reviewed 15 September 2013

My family and I were staying at the UAB downtown location to visit someone in the adjacent hospital. We were all stressed and exhausted. After obtaining our room, I went down to the Bistro to relax and gather my thoughts. A young man there (his name tag said "Cam") was very pleasant and attentive. I sat in a booth and watched as he interacted with the other guests. He was professional, cheerfully pleasant and provided excellent customer service to each and every indivual he encounted. The next morning I went down for coffee and Cam was still hard at work. I enjoyed my interaction and brief conversation with him. His customer service skills were excellent, he is a prime example to what quality customer service is all about. He was a blessing in a stressful situation and I greatly appreciated his service. Thank you Cam.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mrs_A_Borders
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Mrs. Borders, thank you for taking the time to write this message about Cam. We are very fortunate to have Cam in the Bistro. With so many of our guests coming for the hospital, we feel it very important to have positive personalities working in all areas of the hotel. I hope your friend is on to a speedy recovery.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

I stay here on business at least once a month and have always had good experiences. Easy ride from the airport, and the front desk is always friendly. The hotel is directly across the street from the hospital, including the ER entrance, so some ambulance noise is expected (be sure to ask for the side away from the ER and you won't have any trouble at all). There are several restaurants nearby and the location has been good for me to jog/run in. It's also in walking distance to the minor league baseball stadium, which is fun. I'll continue staying at this hotel when in the area. This is otherwise a fairly typical Courtyard; lobby fairly updated and clean rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Travel159549

Thank you so much for sharing your recent stay at the Courtyard Birmingham Downtown. I appreciate your continued support of my hotel and look forward to your next visit. If you have not tried it yet, Railraod Park is an excellent area for a morning jog. Have a great day.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

My family of 4 stayed here because of the close proximity to the football camp UAB was hosting. Since we couldn't check in early, which was no problem, the friendly staff recommended a nice mall and even wrote down directions where we could kill some time. When we arrived and checked in we were very impressed with the room decor, very updated, however when we retired for bed, that's when we had problems. The mattresses and pillows were like marshmallows. No one slept, not even our 10 yr old. It was the worst night ever; every part on our body ached. Great staff but until they get better mattresses and pillows will not stay again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Genia H, thank you for sharing the highs and lows of your recent stay at my property. I am very fortunate to have a team of associates that take great care of our guests. I am glad we were able to meet your expectations on this point. We are in the process of converting all of our pillows to a queen sized pillow. The beds will be made with two foam filled and two hypo allergenic feather filled. We are hoping to have this project completed by the end of the year. I do apologize for your restless nights sleep and do hope that you will give us a second chance when you are in Birmingham.