“Good Overnight Stay”

Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB
Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed here Jan 12 2014 as an overnight on the way to Florida. Rooms were clean and comfortable and location was convenient to several dining options. The hot breakfast was very good and reasonably priced. Would stay here again..

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OtleyandFatcat
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

OtleyandFatCat--We appreciate your posting about your stay at the Courtyard Downtown Birmingham. Stop and see us on your next trip to Florida. Have a great weekend

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I just held a business meeting and the accomodations were wonderful. They were able to put together a package for me at the last minute and met all of our needs. The location is great and many places within walking distance. High praises to Mary, Jean, Jessica and Chris for a great experience.

D.Clark
Atlanta, GA

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Donna C
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Good Morning Donna C,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at my hotel. I will pass along your kind words to the team members that you listed. We all look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Our stay was due to medical tests & a doctor visit at Kirkland Clinic. Being anxious and nervous about the medical appointments, it was so very comforting to be greeted by such very kind staff at the hotel. Our room was the absolute cleanest hotel room we have ever stayed in. This is saying a lot as we travel frequently. The bistro area, featuring Starbucks, is a nice plus. It was very clean as well. The staff working the bistro were beyond cheerful and nice. Our experience was a wonderful one here and we would most certainly recommend this hotel to anyone. We were able to leave our vehicle in the hotel parking garage and walk to the Kirkland Clinic without getting outdoors. Take our recommendations and stay here!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie B
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Julie B, thank you for the kind words about your stay and the service the team here provided. We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 10 December 2013

For a hotel convenient to the north pavilion of UAB, this is perfectly located. Aside from location though, I found it subpar to other Courtyards I've stayed in.

This property is adjacent to the 4th Ave. Parking Deck. As a guest you'll park in this deck, and your parking is validated. The process however is somewhat inconvenient as each time you plan on leaving the deck, you have to get a pass for the exit gate from the hotel's front desk. The Sky Lobby for the hospital is located at this deck, which offers you quick walking access to the majority of the UAB complex without ever having to step outdoors (aside from a ~20 yd walk to deck from lobby).

We stayed here while a family member was a patient at UAB, and this let us go from hotel to hospital room in mere moments. Location was perfect.

Beyond location, much was left to be desired:

Elevators were comically slow. Not necessarily the wait, but their speed. By far the slowest I've ever been on.

Toilet ran every few minutes. Loud and often enough housekeeping had to have noticed it, but evidently never reported it to maintenance.

Air conditioner was not working when we got to room. Again, why is housekeeping not reporting problems they find? Maintenance personnel came promptly, but had a poor attitude. He lingered for a tip. Sorry, I'm not tipping a maintenance man for repairing something that should have been working before I checked in.

Like most courtyards, it showed some wear, but it wasn't an issue. It is a value brand, not a Ritz-Carlton, so my expectations are realistic. Aside from these issues the room was fine.

I do want to say we arrived early and inquired about an early checkin, as we were going to be at the hospital that afternoon. They were kind and handled it without issue.

I hope our bad room was an anomaly. Based on my good experiences with other Courtyards and Marriott properties in general, I would stay here again if I had the need. The location is the main factor in this decision.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Patriot33
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Patriot33,
I appreciate you taking the time to share with the community the positives and negatives about your stay in June. We are very close to the Medical Center and many people agree with you that is one of our biggest positives. As well as doing our best to accomodate the wishes of our guests with early check ins when available. I do apologize for the issues that you found with your room and bringing these to our attention will allow us to improve for future guests. I hope that you have a health filled holiday season.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This is my second time staying at this great hotel. The rooms are always clean and comfortable. It was quiet and I had a relaxing night's sleep. I enjoy the Bistro snack area downstairs and the public areas are clean and well-kept.

This hotel has convenient parking and you can also get a free pass to the fantastic UAB gym and swimming pool. That is super. The employees all seem very caring and made sure we had everything we needed during our stay. Best of all it was close to family who live downtown.

Room Tip: A room facing the back of the hotel would be quieter than one in the front. Our room faced the UAB...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelMavenFlorida
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Scoobytrips,
Thank you for the great review of the hotel. I very much appreciate the comments about the team and will be passing your review on to them. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Friendly staff at the front desk and in the bistro. Rooms were nicely appointed and clean. Food in the bistro somewhat limited but what they have is prepared well and tasty. If you have business at UAB this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Alexander B
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Alexander
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I have shared your comments with the front office team and the bistro team and they appreciate them a great deal. Look forward to taking care of your needs the next time you are in Birmingham.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I checked in, went to my room, and checked out.

I got to the elevator and let two of them go by because a guy who looked like he belong in hospiced filled up the first one with wheelchair and care crew and then the another guy who was coughing a storm was ahead of me.

This is in front of the emergency room and I could hear the siren from my room as soon as I stepped in.

I thought to myself how many sick people have been in this room. I felt like I was in the hospital. It's not for me.

Also, parking was a big pain.

If you're staying at the hospital you'll love it. If you're a Golden Girl you'll love it, too. Otherwise, avoid it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank UofLtraveler
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear U of L Traveler,

Thank you for adding your comments about my hotel on Trip Advisor. The majority of our guests are staying with us for the use of the Medical facility. We are easy to access the facility via the skybridge. I do understand the feelings that you may have felt as you arrived at the hotel. I want to assure you that we go to great lengths to keep our rooms not only clean but sanitized. Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased to see on your review that you rated us high for staff service. Safe travels,