“Great room, Bad attitudes”

Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB
Ranked #13 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Richmond, Virginia
“Great room, Bad attitudes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2007

I stayed at the Marriott for 3 nights in January while interviewing for a medical residency at UAB. Its a brand new hotel and is directly across the street from UAB hospital and is connected by a catwalk. There is parking in a garage next to the hotel ($6/day), and there are several restaurants and delis within 1-2blocks of the hotel.

The room was very clean and well appointed. The bed was probably the softest I've ever seen at a hotel. The AC worked well to cool the room but did not circulate the air. Also, the AC unit had mold growing on the vent and had a stale smell to it (obviously since there was mold on it). I told the front desk about it, and they said they'd look into it. But when I came back to my room that night it was still there, and it still smelled musty in the room. So, I bought some lysol disinfectant spray and sprayed the vent (something a guest really shouldnt have to be doing). After that I didnt notice as strong of a smell. Overall though, the room was nice. The AC probably needed to be serviced but no other complaints.

Other hotel ammenities included breakfast in the morning starting at 6:30. I left each morning before this, so I never got to try the breakfast. They have coffee from 6am-10am. It would be nice if they had expanded coffee hours. The lobby was nice, new-looking, and clean.

When I made my reservation I was supposed to get a $99/night rate for people interviewing with UAB. When I made my reservation I was first told they could only give me $139, then they said $119. They denied that a $99 rate existed. When I showed up, several of the other applicants had $99/night, but some were forced to pay $169/night. I guess I should feel lucky they gave me $119/night. But why all the confusion for the same group of people? And when I kindly explained the situation they still refused to correct my bill. It took 2 calls by the department at UAB before they fixed the rate. When I came to check out, they were very rude. I felt this was not necessary since I had been professional and respectful to them but just wanted the rate I had been promised.

Overall, I would stay here again. But if you go here be aware that the people at the front desk and the people you make reservations with really dont know what they're doing. Some other people also interviewing with us the same day stayed at the Doubletree (about 2 blocks away but an equal distance from the hospital, I think its just on the other side of the hospital) and they really liked it. I think its older though.

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — AC unit and Front desk service
  • Tips/Secrets — get your quoted rate in writing before arriving at the hotel
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank frostypoe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2006

While on a recent trip to Alabama, my husband and I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott, UAB. We could have not asked for a better stay. The hotel is new and very centrally located. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. The price was very reasonable, as well. The hotel staff was very courteous and was eager to help with any requests. During the stay, I left some clothes hanging in the closet. That night when I returned home, I called the hotel to see about having my items sent to me. The housekeeping manager could not have been nicer. The day after speaking with him, my clothes arrived to my home by FedEx, and he was nice enough to cover the costs as well. If I am ever in Birmingham again, I will be sure to stay at the Courtyard UAB!!!

• Liked — Friendly & Courteous Staff
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank Nolichucky
flowery branch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2006

I stayed at the Courtyard Downtown during the Mercedes marathon. The rooms were great. This is one of the finest hotels that I have ever stayed at. Be sure you try this one.

• Stayed February 2006
3 Thank carter032
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2005

* I am a business traveler

The location is across the street from UAB around 5th and 19th or 6th and 18th. It is walking distance from Shoney's, Subway, McDonald's, and all of downtown. I always eat at the Fish Market.

The rooms were awesome. The appearance is ahead of the curve. Looks like a modern NYC hotel. Big bed, fridge, big bathroom, and lots of lights plus cool decorations. The bed was very soft as were the pillows. Excellent rest.

The breakfast was pretty good. The business center is only one PC, so that is a bust if it is always occupied. But wireless internet in the room was a bonus. Staff very friendly and only paid $139 in October 2005.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business
5 Thank traveldell
Mount Pleasant, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2005

This is probably the best Courtyard I've ever stayed in. I've been Gold for Marriott for the past 5 years. This hotel is fantastic. Clean rooms, great bedding with fitted sheets. Big TV. Free internet. All this at a great price. If all Courtyards were this nice, the world would be a better place.

• Stayed September 2005, travelled on business
10 Thank jonesytv
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2005

I, a single female, stayed in the Courtyard Marriott Downtown UAB Thu Aug. 11 thru Sun Aug 14. It was my first visit to Birmingham. I was there for a class which was being held at the Sheraton/Civic Center. The workshop coordinators negotiated a discounted rate for us at the Sheraton but it wasn't up to par. I checked in and checked right back out. I opted instead to ride around the city and personally check out each hotel I drove by till I found something suitable. The Courtyard Marriott was the BEST by far!! (much better than some of the big name hotels; ie. Sheraton, Radisson, Tutwiler)

If you have a car, The Courtyard Marriott is less than a 5 minute drive to pretty much anything in the Downtown Birmingham area. At the hotel there is a $6 fee for parking on-site or in the parking garage. Before you pay that fee though know that there is a lot $2 all day parking lot on 4th across from Shoney's and another $3 all day lot directly across from that, though I don't know if they have in-and-out privileges. Otherwise, metered street parking is FREE all day on the weekends and .25 cents per hour from 8 to 6pm during the week. I felt safe walking alone at night to and from the hotel when parking.

From my understanding the hotel hasn't been open very long so everything is new and in top notch condition. The staff is very professional though a little stiff. I felt like they treated each guest as if they were a mystery shopper; but that is by no means a complaint.

The hotel provides FREE wireless internet access. There is a restaurant on-site (which I didn't utilize). Otherwise, very nearby is a Milo's, Subway, Shoney's, Arby's, McDonald's and some other deli spot that I can't remember the name of right now. Each room has a fridge and there's a microwave to use downstairs in the lobby.

If you haven't made a reservation prior to your arrival to the hotel beware the rate they quote you at the front desk can be beat by at least $50 PER NIGHT if you book online at Marriott.com. There's a computer in the hotel lobby, use it.

My only complaint: the curtains aren't the best light blockers. They aren't heavy enough, dark enough and they don't overlap properly.

Hope this helps. If I'm ever in Birmingham again, I will definitely stay here again. It's a great hotel!!

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business