“Finally found Sukiyaki and also tried Sushi!”
Review of Sekisui - CLOSED

Sekisui
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 25 October 2010

We have been searching every city we spend time in for almost a year and have not found a Japanese Restaurant that serves sukiyaki....Sekisui had it on the menu so we had to visit ! We loved it when in Japan years ago and used to order it at a restaurant in DC. This was an authentic Japanese restaurant not just a sushi and Japanese steak house. They have numerous types of sushi which we tried for the first time. We ate it but will probably not order again - but that does not mean it was not good - just not our thing... The sukiyaki was very good, pretty much as we remembered it from 30 years ago! Service was great and everything presented artistically as is the custom in Japan. For a special evening enjoy this restaurant. We even had banana tempura as an ending for the perfect meal. We will go back to have tempura next time we are in Birmingham. Our only issue was locating the restaurant - it is on the upper level of a shopping mall - the GPS does not tell you to look UP! Once we did it was very obvious.

There are newer reviews for Sekisui

Reviewed 29 April 2010

Very nice Sushi.

Reviewed 21 April 2009

My friends dragged me to SPR one weeknight- had I known how delicious their sushi is I would have suggested it myself! I thought I disliked sushi, based on one very bad sushi experience at an Asian buffet. Fortunately, the sushi at SPR is a whole other experience! I had something that I don't see on the online menu- it was bacon, cream cheese, and avocado sushi, and sooooo delicious! My friends and I all ordered different things and we sampled everyone's, and everything I tried was wonderful! I haven't tried anything off of the regular menu, but I highly recommend the sushi, especially if you have been turned off of sushi in the past. The presentation of the food is beautiful, and the atmosphere is very hip. My only complaint is that we were seated by the window, and the setting sun glaring through the glass was a little too warm. Most of the seating is away from the window, though, so not to worry! I no longer live in B'ham or near a sushi place, and I am dying to go back just to eat at SPR!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 25 February 2009

Amazing sushi, excellent service! My favorite sushi place in town.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook