“Embassy Suites needs to be updated”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham
Ranked #32 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 29 October 2013

1. All of the ES (Embassy Suites) staff understood that we were stationed outside of the US and we were on reverse cycle for sleep. The first day, the room service staff told us that there was no credit card on file and we had to go to the front desk and “fix the problem”, or pay cash for food. We told them that the polite front desk clerk did in fact swipe our credit card and that he should double check. We paid cash and instructed him to figure out the problem. On the 3rd or 4th day the ES staff rang our room at 9.13PM but we were asleep and did not answer. At 9.15PM an ES staff began banging on our door and would not stop. We thought there was an Emergency. She stated that she needed a credit card for our room. We replied: “really… at 9.15PM, you need a credit card”. She said it could wait until morning. WHY would an ES staff member treat anyone in this manner? 2. The rooms have extremely outdated furniture with holes in the fabric. The walls and cabinets and base board are scratched, and damaged. 3. Look at the furniture in your lobby – it has holes in the fabric. We were embarrassed for you because we normally love all ES. 4. We reported that the TV remote control was not in the room and someone came to give us one. Then the TV’s did not work. So we waited for a maintenance guy, but after some time, we unplugged all the TV’s and replugged them ourselves and worked on them until they functioned properly. By the time the maint guy arrived, we had resolved the ES problem. 5. The toilet in the master suite ran all night. We reported it and your manager took one nights charge off our room; however, note that the toilet was never (never) repaired.. You have to sleep with the door closed and the fan running to drown out the sound of water leaking. 6. Traffic and road noise is very disturbing. 7. The front desk staff is extremely polite and nice. The breakfast staff also need to be commended for their politeness.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
1  Thank John P
Lisa S, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

I am saddened to see your disappointment with your stay at our property. I assure you this is not the norm for this property and we have addressed your concerns with our staff. Since your stay we have started a deep clean program and have begun to start the renovation process such as hallway carpets and lobby furniture. I hope you would be willing to give us another chance if you are ever in Birmingham.

Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

First we only stayed because of the indoor pool! We got there got checked in And pool had a sign that said closed, I saw a guy cleaning it asked him when it would be open he said a couple of hours, so I was like ok I can deal with that or else I was checking out! We brought our 4 years old along for a Florida trip so she needed play time out of the car.. Well two hours passed and pool was still closed and guy said it would be closed all night, but said it would be working in the morning, so we went to bed early and got up... Still no pool, I was upset so I talked to front desk about a discount toy surprise they took care of everything, so I was happy, grand daughter on other hand was not! Room was great bathroom had mold spots on ceiling and vent in room was blowing out dirt all over ceiling so I am thankful I didn't pay full price! But breakfast and manager reception was awesome very friendly employees and good food! Not sure if I'd stay again or not I'd check out bathroom again first if we do...

Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your granddaughter was unable to go swimming, but I am happy the stay was able to Make it Right. Since your stay with us we have implemented a deep cleaning program in all of our suites. Thank you for your kind words regarding our breakfast staff. If you are ever in Birmingham again please give us a chance to prove that is not the typical standards at our property.

Front Officce Manager

Reviewed 23 October 2013

The staff at this hotel are really pleasant and helpful. I have now stayed there on business 4-5 times. Every time I am welcomed back.
I will especially highlight Webster. He is the host and barman at the daily happy hour. What a really nice guy.
The rooms are typically "Embassy Suites" good!
The interior of the hotel is really nice.
But, the staff are excellent!

Room Tip: Second floor has an extra staircase down to the Atrium, but avoid the rooms over the kitchen because...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Mr. Grascott,

Thank you for your kind words regarding our property and staff. I am glad to hear that Webster is especially nice at the bar. We are lucky to have him here with us! I hope that you continue to stay with us.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

The inside of the hotel looked a bit rundown and old. That wasn't too bad, but our room and the non-response to it were unacceptable.

The overhead light was rickety-looking and didn't work.

As soon as we entered the room, I smelled the soured shower curtain. I asked for a clean curtain but never got one. I finally had to drive to Target to buy Clorox Cleanup to spray it with. For about $150 a night, I don't expect to have to clean my own shower curtain before I even use it.

The air conditioner was very noisy in the bedroom. It kicked on every few minutes, often for just a few seconds at a time. By morning, I desperately needed a nap but couldn't sleep because construction noise was then added to the air conditioner noise.

The mattress seemed worn out and saggy. It wasn't comfortable, but it wasn't unbearable.

The free breakfast was OK for steam-table food. The lady who served our food was very nice.

Internet service was not included in the price of the room and was nearly $10 a day (we passed on that deal).

The only reason I didn't give it one star is because I have seen worse places, though not at that price.

We stayed at a different hotel the second night and had a much better experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie H
HeatherStrauss, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are sorry that you are disappointed with your stay. We strive for every guest to leave satisfied and sincerely apologize that we were not able to provide you with a satisfying stay. I am so sorry that you found our hotel to be rundown and that the curtain in your bathroom was not clean however, I especially apologize if our staff was not responsive and that they did not follow-up with your request. I assure you that this is very rare to occur as our customers’ satisfaction is paramount to us. Please know that I have personally spoken to our staff regarding your comments and assure you that this will not happen again.

We will definitely use your comments to share with our departments to learn from and look for ways to improve our overall guest experience.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies and I do hope we are afforded the opportunity to welcome you again to our beautiful hotel.

Heather Strauss

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite with king size beds, expecting something nicer than average. The door to the hall bath could not be latched at all. And both bathrooms had mold in caulking around base of tubs. The rest of the suite was clean and comfortable. But these two items stuck out like sore thumbs.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

I apologize for the condition of your suite not being up to standards and we appreciate your feedback. We have implemented a deep cleaning program since your stay in all of our suites to ensure issues such as these never happen. If you are ever in Birmingham again I hope you would give us another chance.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Our larger Family Stayed here in a 2 BR Suite. 2 king beds. The sofa bed in the living room was uncomfortable but everything else was outstanding. Would book again. Friendly staff. Clean hotel. Nice pool. Great Breakfast. Everything you come to expect from Embassy.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments towards our property and staff. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Rooms - clean, stocked and bedding very comfy.
Staff - THE BEST EVER! From housekeeping, the bartenders, front desk and we LOVE the guys who drive the shuttle!
Breakfast - Everything you could need or want. Oatmeal, muffins, made-to-order omelets, bacon, grits, hash browns, cereal and more!
Happy Hour - 2 free drinks of your choice!
Our stay was unbeatable!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for the lovely comments regarding your stay with us. We have a great team here at the Embassy Suites. We appreciate your loyalty.