“Everything was fine except for breakfast”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham
Ranked #37 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Almost everything about our stay here was fine. Room was clean. Staff was courteous. I like the area its in. But the breakfast was a disaster. One cook for the griddle and one server for the buffet line. At one point I counted more than 40 people in line for the buffet. I was looking forward to the cook-to-order omelet, but not this day (it was a Saturday morning). They need to completely revamp the bfast setup for efficiency and hire enough staff to serve the customers.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Craig D, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at our hotel. Reviews like your helps us improve our service so that we meet our goal of providing every guest with an outstanding experience. I apoligize that your experience with our breakfast did not meet your expectations. I will pass your comments to our Comp Services Manager that they can address staffing during busy times.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,198)

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Not up to Embassy Suites standards. This property looked like a 1970s throw-back. All the doors (and large window) facing the atrium (It was a beautiful atrium.) Remember those? Unfortunately, I don't remember them fondly. The hotel was old and worn out.

None of the 3 doors in our room would even close properly- front, bathroom or balcony. Can you imagine? We couldn't even close the door all the way even with the lock. Shower curtain was pink with mildew. Some of the plugs were nonfunctioning. There was a black trash bag on the "balcony" filled with something. It was a dump.

This hotel was old and crowded. After 10pm there were unaccompanied children still running the halls. Breakfast had over 40 minutes wait and so we decided just to have cereal and hit the road. No bowls. We asked 3 employees. Finally I followed up with one of them and he just apologized and said there were none right now. No bowls?

Is it poorly managed, or did we go on a really busy weekend? Hard to say. But either way, we will never return to this location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
HeatherStrauss, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I appreciate your honesty, and your comments regarding areas for improvement will help us to continually better the guest experience. I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future we do a better job of breakfast service. Additionally, unclean rooms are not typical of our hotel, so we will address this with our housekeeping staff to ensure the issue is resolved. The next time you have the opportunity to travel to the area, I do hope that you will be our guest again. Please contact me direclty to ensure we deliver the service and product you deserve during your next visit, my email is Heather.Strauss@Hilton.com

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This hotel is in my hometown and I have many special memories here. The wedding party stayed there for my wedding in 2011. So naturally I was excited to get to come back and stay during my sister's wedding weekend. Wow how things have changed. Couldn't agree with CTHead's review more, things are going downhill fast. The following is a review by myself and 20 of my family members as well. Listed are some of the 'highlights' of our weekend:

-breakfast line took 45min to get food each day.
-Out of silver wear both days, had to wait 10 minutes to get a fork to eat my breakfast. Second day no bowl. I asked a worker for a bowl and she went to kitchen and came back 5 minutes later and said....no bowl......
-No coffee at breakfast
-Juice machine dripped out a disgusting goop when my brother pressed for OJ.
-No towels at pool. Asked multiple workers for help. 30 minutes later as I was going back to room wet towels finally showed up.
-No luggage carts.
(Basically you name it, they were out of it)
-Brother in law's first room smelled horribly of smoke and had to switch. (front desk rude when he asked for switch)
-All rooms dirty (Brother's room VERY dirty and smelled horrible)
-My brother's room and my in-laws room did not get cleaned any day during our stay.
-Kids EVERYWHERE.......all day and late into night, they were everywhere. Very loud.
-Spa was full of dirt. Pool was very dirty as well. Even if you wanted to get in you could not because the pool had about 50 people in it when it could really only comfortably hold maybe 15-20.

I don't know if the hotel is understaffed or overcrowded (Probably both!) but it is not worth your money. I sincerely hope they change things but right now I could not recommend anyone stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including areas for improvement. I understand that the noise was an issue during your stay; while we do have additional security and overnight managers available during high traffic periods, we certainly do encourage, for guests comfort and safety, that they contact the front office so we can calm the issue. I apologize that your comfort was interrupted by other guests and I have shared your review with our security team to ensure that this is not a problem in the future. I do hope the next time you return to the area you consider staying with us again. Please let me know how I can best contact you to apologize, my email is Heather.Strauss@Hilton.com

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Room was fairly clean, and staff was pleasant. The rooms/furnishings have given up. As long as you stumble back from the free cocktail hour, you may not notice any issues in the room. Mine had a few ladybugs behind the peeling wallpaper. Couches have given up. Try not to think about how many thousands of people have stayed there before you.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. Reviews from our guests help us in our effort to provide each guest with an outstanding experience. I apoligize that we did not meet your expectations on your recent visit Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

With two daughters at Samford University we have stayed here frequently over the past 4 years. In an effort to cut costs they have implemented a coupon system for breakfast. This, they say, is an effort to keep freeloaders out. HORRIBLE plan. It now takes too long to eat, and the breakfast has always been one of the selling points. Additionally it is not as clean as it used to be. This is our last stay here. There are many more options that are the same price and don't require a summer camp mess hall experience.

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback on our breakfast coupon policy and apoligize if this policy negatively impacted your stay with us. I will pass on your comments to our Comp Services Manager and Executive Housekeeper for review. Our goal at Embassy Suites is to give every guest an outstanding experience and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to do so on your next visit to Birmingham.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel on business and had a great stay. The staff was friendly and the hotel was very clean. Breakfast was enjoyable as well. They were installing new carpet while I was there. It makes the hotel look great. I attended a meeting at the hotel. The meeting room suited our needs just right. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your great comments about our hotel.I was also glad to here that you like our recent renovations as much as we do. At Embassy Suites Birmingham our goal is for every guest to have a great experience like yours. Again thank you and we hope that you will be staying with us again soon.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

The location of this hotel is very convenient to downtown and to popular shopping/restaurant areas. The staff was very friendly. The complimentary hot breakfast was good although a bit too crowded and the set up could probably be tweaked for better flow. My daughter loved the indoor pool. Loved the layout of the two bedroom suite with 2 full bathrooms and an additional sink and vanity area in both bedrooms. Even with four females getting ready, we never fought over mirror time.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
HeatherStrauss, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for your wonderful kind comments regarding the hotel. I apologize regarding the Breakfast crowds and will ensure we have overflow rooms available for seating in the future. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon.