“Weekend in Birmingham” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Portland, Oregon
“Weekend in Birmingham”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We checked in late on Friday and stayed through Sunday while in town visiting friends. The front desk staff were very welcoming. We found our room to be clean and quite, which is nice during a weekend stay. Had dinner one night at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, very good. Breakfast was above average than most Embassy Suites we've stayed at. Area and tables were clean, food was fresh.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HeatherStrauss, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel and Ruth's Chris. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again in the future!

Heather Strauss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my family and it was a mixed bag. The good: Helpful and friendly front desk staff, free upgrade to oversized suite with conference table. The not so good: Poor lighting and no seating in the bedroom, lots of deferred maintenance -door lock didn't work right, missing drain cover in bathroom sink, damaged vanity in bathroom. This property was fine for a one night stay but I wouldn't want to stay here for much longer.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
HeatherMS, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff. I am glad you enjoyed the oversized Executive Suite. I will share your comments with the Engineering team and ensure we address the issues Monday. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I hope you will think of us again when in the Birmingham area.

jonesboro, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

the balconies are a really nice amenity but overall management is mediocre. get up early if you want any breakfast. lobby is confusing due to the steak house and constant non-guest traffic. hotel is hard to find even with gps. room service is very good. desk clerks act like they just got off work.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your kind comments regarding Room Service. I apologize you had difficulty finding the hotel as well as the Lobby traffic. We have added a Lobby host in the evenings this week to assist guests and address many of your concerns. I also want to apologize for the Front Desk staff attitude as this is not the service you deserve and we normally deliver. I will share your comments with the Front Office staff and hope you will stay with us in the future when you are in the Birmingham area.

Heather.Strauss@Hilton.com
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Issues at Embassy Suites
On arrival:
· No washcloths
· No body lotion
· No suite case rack
· Room door does not close automatically
· Room clock setting incorrect
First Breakfast:
· No take-out coffee cups
· No muffins
2nd Day:
· No washcloth
· No body lotion (told by front desk, that they were out)
3rd Day: no significant problems

Just a general lackadaisical attitude of staff, tables in dining area have multiple scratches on edges, elevator entrances have multiple scratches. Wake up call system 10 min off (asked for call at 0515, received call at 0525); told front desk staff and they said they would contact engineering; on 2nd day no change still 10 min off; on the 3rd day it was 15 min off.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Snoopy5176
HeatherMS, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
I apologize for your experience at the Birmingham Embassy Suites. I would like to speak with you directly regarding your stay. Please contact me at Heather.Strauss@Hilton.com

Thank you.
Greenville, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Our room was dirty. The floor was not vacuumed and there were food crumbs all over the floor upon our arrival. I took a white damp wash cloth and wiped the counter down and picked up the crumbs, after my husband had alerted the first desk of the issue. I took the dirty cloth down to the front counter and the evening supervisor was embarrassed and provided our first night stay free. The hotel was booked and there was not other rooms to change to. I went to Target and got some cleaning supplies to clean the room. Noise was a major issue. We have stayed at Embassy Suites several times and never encountered this type of issue. The hotel was full of families (black families) that must have had over the number of occupants staying in the rooms. The children were running up and down the hall, knocking on doors and running away. We reported the issue to the desk our second night of stay and the noise did not stop until 1 am. The room did not cool very well, but at this point we did not report the issue. We just wanted to rest and get up the next morning and leave as quickly as we could. We did not use the pool, but would not have after seeing so many people in the pool at one time. The hot tube area at one time had 12 people in it. We could see the people as you are entering the side lobby for the elevator. The elevator was wet and musty smelling. There should be a limit to the number of people allowed within the confined pool area. We also went down to the business center to try to print something since we did not bring a printer, and we unable to use the computer due to children playing internet games and facebooking. Overall we had a horrible stay that weekend in Birmingham and would not stay there again, nor would we recommend it to anyone. My husband begins a job next week with a company that uses the hotel for interview candidates and during the relocation process. We feel that we must share this information with them as well.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

2 Thank Karen B
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me regarding your stay. We appreciate your business and I look forward to meeting you in person when you return and complete your move to Birmingham.

Birmingham, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Overall I like the hotel but for the money spent. I expected better in just a couple of areas, such as... The dresser in my room handle was broken (I scratched my arm on it). I had to wait in the lobby around 30 min for my room to be cleaned before checking in. Otherwise its good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Edward,

Thank you for your kind comments and I apologize for the wait during your check in for your suite. I will inspect your suite with the Engineering team to review the items you mentioned and ensure they are addressed promptly. We appreciate your loyalty and business and hope to see you again soon,

Heather.Strauss@Hilton.com
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I was awakened 4x's during the night. 2 x's by what sounded like a party outside my room. Once by the guy in the next room when he got back (2am?) and then around 5 am by the security guard and another guy yelling and banging on the door of the next room.
Coffee maker did not work. Bathrooms in pool area were NASTY. We asked for two more towels and were questioned on why we needed two more. (2 adults and 2 children in the room and were given 1 washcloth and 2 towels initially)
I did speak to the manager before we left. She listened but I don't feel like she really cared. I never have these issues when staying at a marriott.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ashley S
HeatherStrauss, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
I apologize for your experience at our hotel and would like to provide the service you truely deserve and we can deliver. I would like to apologize and make amends by speaking with you directly - my email address is Heather.Strauss@Hilton.com.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham-Hoover
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Mountain Brook
Residence Inn Birmingham Downtown at UAB
Doubletree Hotel Birmingham
Doubletree Hotel Birmingham
#30 of 79 in Birmingham
The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB
Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southeast

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham? Share your experiences!