“Bad ownership and management”

Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport
Ranked #55 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Houston, Texas
“Bad ownership and management”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I recently had the displeasure of staying at this dump of a hotel that's located in a crack infested area. The hotel itself is totally ran down and not clean at all, the towels look more off white/ tan than your usual white towels for a hotel. The hotel is old and doesn't look like its been renovated ever. They offer free Internet but the connection is so bad I think dial up is better. To make matters worse i had a billing issue and when I called the owner Shane Armstrong he was totally RUDE and not compassionate at all. Instead of empathizing with me and listening to rectify the problem he went on defending the hotel. I went on BBB and low and behold they have billing complaints and was rated an F. I would not recommend my worse enemy or a bum on the street to stay at this hotel. This hotel give the whole franchise holiday inn a black eye and I will never frequent this establishment again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jefferyw673
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this review, 20 July 2013
While I look forward to guest comments good and bad, in this case I am very upset. This review is simply untrue and was sent by a disgruntled guest. The guest offered us a credit card that was declined by the bank and the guest blamed us for the credit card being declined. The hotel was totally renovated a little over 5 years ago and presently we just finished renovating the kitchen, dining room, pool, and are working on the fitness room ventilation system. Guest rooms and hallways are scheduled to have carpet and wall covering replaced over the next 2 years. We are constantly working to keep the hotel in the best condition for our guests. The hotel is inspected by the Jefferson County Health department with a near perfect score, the hotel has received the City of Birmingham Beautification Award for our landscaping, and we are not only AAA rated we are an approved property which is a above the status of simply rated. I thank the guest for pointing out the BBB rating. Upon contacting the BBB we found the rating to be caused because previous management had not responded to their inquiries. These issues go back to 2010. The only recent problem was about a leasee that operated a business in the hotel not the hotel itself. I hope everyone that reads the comments from this guest will understand that their comments are based on a declined credit card that we have no control over.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My family was traveling in from the east coast , we stopped in Alabama to sleep for a few hours before we headed home. When i was checking into the hotel the guy behind the desk took my bank card, i stepped away to get my kids together and when i stepped back to front desk he advised me that my card had been denied. I thought it was a bit strange, but i figured since i had been traveling and using my card a lot my bank had stopped it, so I continued to give him my husbands bank card. Needless to say my card was not declined, because they actual charged a dollar so they could get the number. They also charged my husband card. From that moment on our ACCT was wiped out, transactions from everywhwere. This was the only place where my card, and my husbands card was presented at the same time. Our bank did give us our money back while they investigate, but its has still been a nightmare. So we decided to call MOnday morning first thing just so the manager would know what happened. SHANE ARMSTRONG (who says is the owner of the hotel)got on the phone , didnt offer an apology at all, first thing he did was start defending his hotel , telling my husband he was LIEING. After what we had been through a little compassion is all we ask for. He said he wanted bank statements and police reports. We explained to him it just happened yesterday , so none of that information was available, but we would not be sending him a bank statement. We just wanted him to be aware. He was very rude, yelling, and accusing us of being liers. NOw im not sure if others have time, but i dont have the time to call a hotel manager to make a false report. He also threatened to sue us if we put up a bad review. PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS HOTEL!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank R W
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
The management of the hotel has answered this same comment previously. The comments are untrue and all stem from a debit card that the guest tried to use that was declined by her bank. I have never been rude or yelled or accused anyone of being untruthful. I have refused to terminate a long time employee whose only access to credit card numbers is the last four digits without some proof which the guest has refused to supply us.
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed at this Holiday Inn due for business. About the only positives I can say about it was that the room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

Here are issues that I encountered on my stay. There was a group of three in our party and I was the only individual in the group that was charged a higher rate (nearly $30.00 higher). Our reservations were booked through our employer and I saw the fax that was sent by my employer at the front desk when I checked in. That fax contained the company credit card information for my stay. I can understand upon arrival that a credit card is required but when you bill my credit card for my stay that part is unacceptable. My representative who booked my reservation never got an adequate response from anyone at this Holiday Inn as why my credit card was billed and why I was charged a higher rate. After six weeks of no response from this Holiday Inn my company reimbursed me for the expense.

For the price that your charged for a room you would expect a free continental breakfast. If this is your expectation your going to be let down because they do not serve a continental breakfast. They have signage about starting your morning our right. Our party started our morning out right, by going to the IHOP that was in the area.

This hotel is close to the airport and as other reviewers have posted this hotel is not in the best area.

If your wondering what's above the drop ceiling in the bathroom the last couple photo provides you with the answer.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank HooksFan
Thank you for your comments, I wish we had done better to impress you. We failed to WOW you and for that I am deeply sorry. Please give us another chance to prove to you that there are many more things to be positive about at our hotel.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Location, as in close to the airport (not the neighborhood.)

No big rig parking here, but I dumped my rig last night and I am on my way to the airport in the AM.

This place is up to all Holiday Inn standards, the only issue I had was when I showered in the AM, I was up to my ankles in water. (The desk didn't ask how my stay was so I forgot to mention it). Other than that a great room, I will be back, I hope to be back a few more times this summer.

Restaurant is closed in June so they have a shuttle to an area of downtown where a bunch of restaurants are. I didn’t wont to spend a couple of hours so I walked across the street to the Kabob house. … great food.

Someone else mentioned the neighborhood, I agree, it is not the best. Even walking to the Kabob House directly across the street, it was crossing my mind that I could get mugged even though I did not come in contact with anyone. As I walked back to the Inn, I noticed that it looked like the Inn security guard is armed, something I don’t see in most of the country.

The airport shuttle and some corporate pricing is what got me here, and I’ll be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
It is wonderful to hear you complement our GREAT STAFF. Each and every one of our team tries to make each guest’s stay a special one. I will pass this on to them. We look forward to being your home away from home again when you need accommodations in the Birmingham area.
Spring Hill, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I am from Birmingham. Both my parents died in the last several years and so I am not back there very often. When I am I normally stay at the downtown Sheraton or outside the city. I've known of this hotel for YEARS (back in the 70's when I'd see the Ernest Angele buses parked outside it).

I had a flight at about 5am and needed an overnight close to the airport. I booked this hotel with FEAR! It was, I thought, old, dirty and rundown. WAS I EVER WRONG!

First off they allow parking for $5 a night or $20 a week if you are traveling and a free shuttle to the airport!!! Then when I got there the front desk staff was friendly and helpful and the hotel seemed clean. When I got to my room it was well lit, clean, smelled good, cool and looked like it had just been refurbished!!! Everything about my stay was AWESOME. I will actually TRY to stay here from now on when I am in or through B'ham.

Room Tip: You have to call for the shuttle from the airport - don't wait on it.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed our airport parking; many guests love to park and fly. For future reference we have a rate that includes parking, check it out, it just might save you money. I am so glad that our front desk staff wowed you; we expect them to take extra care with our entire guest. Thanks for calling your visit AWESOME, we think all of our guests are AWESOME too. All of our great staff work very hard to make each travelers stay special. We look forward to seeing you in the future
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Clean rooms. Lots of noise but great location. Restaurant and loung were not open. Pool was broken. No laundry/ dry cleaning services a cording to the trainee at the front desk... Bummed they were suppose to offer such ammenities and didnt... Breakfast buffet 9.95 for what you would get for free as continental other than some scrambled eggs and bacon.... Over priced.

• Stayed June 2013
I am sorry that the restaurant and lounge were not open while you visited our hotel. They will be open very soon with a great menu and great service. We look forward to all our guests enjoying it and telling us what they think. Our pool had an unexpected problem and needed some serious construction done to it. While it has taken longer than expected soon our beautiful pool will be open again for all guests to enjoy. It is unfortunate that you were told we do not have laundry/dry cleaning service. We offer same day service Monday thru Friday. I hope you will return after renovations are complete to enjoy our great new restaurant and newly upgraded pool. We thank you for your comments. It is always important to us to know what our guests like and dislike so we can continue to improve our service to each guest.
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I was on the third floor and there was no noise issues. I had no problems with the "area" bc this is an airport hotel, you aren't choosing it for its location aside from being close to the airport. I was traveling alone with a baby and did not feel like I was in danger. I am a smart, frequent traveler who works for a major police department and while I would not go exploring the area on foot, the hotel had proper security measures. Breakfast was a little slim pickings- I would've preferred real milk or cream instead of powdered creamer for the coffee but I'm a yogurt and an apple kind of person so it was fine for me. If you want bacon and eggs go to the eight thousand different cracker barrels within a stone's throw and spend the 7 dollars. Ashanti was my check in and check out receptionist and she was very very sweet and polite. The room was clean and has the same updates I've seen in other holiday inns, and I must commend them in general for improving their rooms. They are now on par with some of the more expensive hotels I've stayed at only they give you free wifi and parking. All I needed was a clean, safe room for the night and I was happy. Especially because it also had a flat screen tv and HBO so I didn't have to miss the Red Wedding episode of Game of Thrones!

• Stayed May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Days Inn Fultondale
Days Inn Fultondale
#1 of 8 in Fultondale
Redmont Hotel Birmingham, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport? Share your experiences!