“Quiet and clean”

Ranked #55 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Nashville, Tennessee
“Quiet and clean”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was a one night stay before leaving for Florida. I had traveled by bus to Birmingham to join my daughter for our scheduled vacation. Check in was easy and the front desk staff was very efficient. The room was very nice and clean... bed was super comfortable and I slept like a baby. By late night the room was very warm, even though the thermostat was set at 65 when I checked in, it didn't cool off much.

I got down to breakfast as they were clearing the buffet and asked if there was anything I could get to go from the menu. The response was far less that polite. The front desk had told me to ask and that I could possibly get coffee and toast to go. I don't blame the hotel for this persons rudeness. I left hungry... but I lived. (smiles)

My one other minor concern was the cleaning residue in the bathtub which made it very slippery. The tub did have have a slip resistant bottom, but whatever was on the surface (I assume from cleaning) made even that textured bottom very slippery. Perhaps a better rinsing would have solved that problem. I know I will rinse a tub out before showering in any other hotel I stay in,.

Though brief, I'm not deterred, I would stay at this Holiday Inn again.

Room Tip: Please rinse your bathtub before stepping in it. Unless you want a VERY warm room in late spring or...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jean W
Ken H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, we are pleased to hear that the check in process was seamless and that your room was clean and comfortable. Your concerns have been addressed with the F&B department and we hope that you will return as our guest and experience the level of service and quality food that we are capable of extending to all of our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Milton, Florida
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Nothing really amazed me about this hotel. I work in hotels and I noticed a lot of things that could be done better. The check in process didn't go so well. Donna over authorized my debit card after I told her to cancel my more expensive reservation and keep my two employee reservations instead. She didn't listen and that caused my money to be tied up on hold for 3 days. Luckily i had enough to cover my trip that it didn't put me in a bind but when working in hotels you have to be very careful about things like this and you could tell she was just trying to breeze through the checkin process. She wasn't rude however she didn't make me feel welcome either. The hotel room was okay the bathrooms could use some updating. Housekeepers you could tell don't take their time on the room I was in. There was lots of dust and an old cup mark where a previous guest had set a cup and the soda had dripped off and was sticky as well in the bathroom on the shelf that is under the sink. Overall i wouldn't say this is a horrible hotel but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Taylor T
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Taylor T,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of product. It seems that we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel stay experience with regard to check in experience and housekeeping services. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced at the front desk. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ringgold, Georgia
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed here for the Indy race and it was only 15 minutes away from the track, which was nice. From the moment of check in ( I didn't get the girls names) they were totally awesome and friendly! I checked in between 5 and 6 Saturday if that helps narrow it down. We received a little gift bag with a water and bag of chips and got 2 coupons for a complimentary drink (alcoholic or non) that was nice and very well unexpected. Everytime we walked by the girls made sure to speak to us and make sure everything was going well with our stay. We went to the bar later that night and Sara B. Was very nice as well. She went above and beyond to make sure everyone was happy! We were all laughing and having such a good time. We saw Sara at breakfast the next morning and she was very personable which makes things a lot nicer!!! We saw her later on when we went to the bar but she was working the restaurant side but still poked her head in and said hey! My husband and I are already planning our next trip here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
We at the Holiday Inn thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to hear that your stay was an enjoyable one, and even more thrilled to hear that you will be returning as our guest in the future. Please be sure to contact us at 205-591-6900 if you need any assistance booking your reservation, also we welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally as we are always looking for way to improve from your previous stay.
Yukon, Oklahoma
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I stay at this hotel 2 or 3 times a year due to the proximity to the airport and free shuttle.

This was once a great property but needs to have the HVAC and windows replaced. The hotel is on the side of the interstate and the old windows allow all the sound through.

Staff is friendly and the rooms are clean. The furniture, bedding and carpet are newer.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ken H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We value your feedback. Your HVAC concern has been addressed with our maintenance staff. I offer our sincerest apologies in regards to outside noise. We do understand that, as an airport property, noise is a factor and we are working hard in offering our guest some options such as sleep kits that will aid in helping our guests get a goodnight sleep. It is our hope that if you find yourself in the Birmingham area in the future that you would once again do us the honor of returning as our guest and experience the level of service that you have grown accustomed to when staying at Holiday Inn.
Reviewed 14 April 2014

To make a long story short, the first room they gave us smelled like smoke, so they had to change us to another room. Then the next morning I awake to the window of my car was busted in @ the Holiday Inn. I felt as though the front desk was not concerned, didn't ask if me or my girls were ok, was there anything stolen. Didn't even offer a vacumm cleaner for me to get all the glass out of my car. The side of the hotel where you enter in was broken so instead of using your key card to get in the hotel you could just pull the door open. So anyone could walk in the door. Unsafe place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HEATHER D
Ken H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to hear about your vehicle and your concerns have been addressed with our front line staff as well as our security staff. I welcome the opportunity for further discussion regarding your stay. I can be reached at 205-591-6900.
San Francisco, CA.
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

My title above says it all, they have a great breakfast buffet for $7!!! Thats a cup of coffee price in NY or California. And they have shuttles to the airport. Room are large and comfortable and its locate right off a freeway for easy access. About 8 minutes to downtown Birmingham. Nice bar lounge and if your Holiday Inn rewards member, comp beer or wine on check in.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ken H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank You for your recent review, as well as being a IHG rewards member. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. If you happen to be in the Birmingham area this summer we hope that you return as our guest and check out the pool. We have some exciting events coming up that feature the pool are and our resturant. Also ask any staff member for details on our "Name our Restaurant" contest. You could win IHG reward points if your suggestion is chosen.
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is a decent Holidayinn that has updated rooms. The exercise room has new equipment and the staff is friendly. The area around the hotel is very shady and run down. There are not many restaurants within walking distance other than a Hardees and a gas station. It's slightly alarming that there is a security guard at the front door when you arrive at the hotel. I did not feel comfortable walking in the neighborhoods surrounding this location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LonePalm07
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We were delighted to have you as our guest. We understand your concern regarding safety and security and I can assure you that we are as safe as any hotel in Birmingham. In my 15 years of experience and working for multiple brands I have experienced less issues here than any other hotel I have worked at. We at the Holiday Inn also understand that no matter where you stay it is always important to take every precaution to assure guest safety and it is our hope that the security guard presence will bring a little added extra security and not a feeling of insecurity. We also have put a lot of time and effort into our restaurant. We are aware of the limited dinning options in the area. Steel city Bar and Grill is located in our lobby and offers great cuisine at a reasonable price. From our delicious Philly cheese steak to our Southern fried chicken. We hope that you will return as our guest when in the Birmingham area and give Steel City a try.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Days Inn Fultondale
Days Inn Fultondale
#1 of 8 in Fultondale
Redmont Hotel Birmingham, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport? Share your experiences!