“What Rob and Laura Petrie would have expected” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport

Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport
Ranked #59 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Orange Park, Florida
“What Rob and Laura Petrie would have expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

I went to Birmingham for a Saturday night ghost hunt in Sloss Furnaces, and this hotel looked like it was the IHG property with the shortest drive from Sloss at 2:30 in the morning. I reserved an executive king because it was only a couple of dollars more per night than a regular king. The executive kings (#24 on each floor) are very spacious, with a couch (that admittedly wouldn't excite an interior designer) and a coffee table. It's the type of room Rob Petrie would have desired if he needed to take Buddy Sorrel and Sally Rogers on a working retreat for "The Alan Brady Show."

For today's road warrior, it has strong complimentary wifi. I had no problem surfing on my laptop while simultaneously streaming Davidson College's radio station through the WDAV app on my iPad. The TV only had 34 channels, though, and it's dish rather than cable - so that means The Weather Channel doesn't have local segments that can help you anticipate what it'll be like outside.

Evidently the restaurant offers a breakfast buffet each morning, which has the same items found at a Holiday Inn Express breakfast but better tasting. And at less than $9, it's a much better value than ordering breakfast off the room service menu. If I'd known the Hardee's across the street was co-branded with Red Burrito, I'd have gotten dinner there Sunday night. The best thing about dinner in the hotel restaurant was the staff. They seemed genuinely interested that customers had a pleasant wait. I have to admit, the food has to have been prepared fresh because there's no way that the order would have taken that long using a microwave.

At check in I was surprised the front desk clerk didn't want to see my driver's license or swipe my credit card. This was also the only hotel I've stayed in as far back as I can remember that I had to produce my computer printout in order for the front desk to find my reservation. At checkout I appreciated that a different desk clerk sensed i might just be turning in my room key and asked me that before she left to handle a request by another guest at the counter.

Undoubtedly this is the closest hotel to the Sloss Furnaces, but it's also quite convenient to downtown Birmingham. Messer Airport Highway is a straight shot to the Sloss Furnaces and, via US 11, downtown, and leaving downtown via Fifth Avenue North brings you back to the Holiday Inn Airport via Messer in minutes. If I make a return trip to Birmingham, it'll probably be to take part in a Sloss Furnaces ghost hunt. And as long as this hotel is an IHG property (or, if not IHG, Starwood), it'll be my first choice.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face the airport and I-59, but during my stay a continuous fan blocked the sound...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank WellINever
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Dear WellINever,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. I am pleased you liked the location of our hotel. As for the issues you have encountered at the hotel, we regret the lack of confidence this has caused you. Your comments have generated a permanent documentation of your experience in this office. We regret the poor experience and negative impressions you may have had. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Janice A
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
St. Albert, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

We decided to try this hotel since we were flying out the next day and it was close to the airport. We dropped off our rental car and waited for the shuttle bus to take us to the hotel. After 20 minutes I asked a Marriott driver and he said they did not come regularly so I called. The driver was pleasant and picked us up. The lady at check in was grumpy and failed to tell us where the amenities were and looked disgruntled when I asked. A chinese lady was wandering the halls, she had no idea how to find her room, the girl had given her the internet code but she couldn't find her room. I helped her out. The lights on the elevators were mostly burnt out so you did not know your floor. My husband had to use his shoulder to open the door of the room, it had warped and was too tight. I had a swim, the pool was OK, rather cold. Then I had a shower in the bathroom, which was stained with fingerprints, water marks and I couldn't open the door to get out. My husband tugged on the door to let me out, again door was warped. There are no choices for food, so we were stuck eating there. The food was poor and hardly anyone in the restaurant. Lots of staff walking around aimlessly. The waitress brought us apple cider instead of draft beer. My husband's catfish was horrid and my beef sandwich really tough. Sleeping was poor, the beds were hard. It is a shame, this hotel has lots of potential, just needs TLC. Not what I expected from Holiday Inn after staying at two others this trip which were great!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bev1060
Ken H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I offer my sincerest apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay. I welcome you to contact hotel management so that further discussion can be had to regain your trust and patronage to Holiday Inn.
Albuquerque, NM
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We spent the night here the end of July after several days at Lewis Smith Lake with family. We chose it because 1) it was near the airport and we had an early flight out and 2) they had connecting rooms, which we needed. After a 15-20 min wait due to having been sent to room types that were not what we had reserved, we finally arrived at the correct rooms. The rooms were attractive enough, but one wall had obvious signs of significant water damage. The bathrooms had been remodeled but the counter space was quite small. Beds were fine--not the Westin, but perfectly serviceable. Because we were tired, we decided to have dinner at the restaurant. That turned out to be a mistake. The service was friendly but extremely slow. We waited more than 45 minutes after ordering for our food to arrive. 30 minutes into the wait, we were informed that no one could find any fruit in the kitchen for the kids' meals. The server said they use leftover fruit from breakfast for dinner, and no one seemed to know where it was. When our order arrived, it was reasonably tasty. but the fried chicken, which had been recommended by the server, was literally floating in grease and the vegetables were pretty cold. We grabbed a quick bite from the breakfast buffet the next day. Unfortunately, the quality and variety of food available was not commensurate with the price charged. In sum, the hotel met our needs, which were basic, but the restaurant was very disappointing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank ChileAddict
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear ChileAddict,

Thank you for your taking the time to evaluate our property. I am pleased to learn you appreciate our hotel location and room accommodations. Our goal is to provide superior customer service and a unique stay to all of our guests. However, i apologize if you found the service at the restaurant and quality of food that was served to be less than satisfactory. I appreciate your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to address these issues with the appropriate people and department.

Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention. I hope you will allow us an opportunity to better serve your needs in the near future.

Zelyn N
Elgin, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I am a IHG rewards member however, this booking was a last minute bid on a discount website. I got a deal for $55 and you get what you pay for. The hotel location is commensurable to the airport but not in a desirable location. The check- in was good and room was remodeled. The bathroom is like a European size with the shower tightly nestled beside the toilet. When you get out the shower your foot is almost in the toilet. The next morning I went down to breakfast which was good however I am not sure if it cost or not. The morning of our departure the fire alarm went off around 7:40am. Following that lovely wake up call after trying to get some more sleep housekeeping begin to knock every thirty minutes from that time until we checked out. So, I would say this isen't the worst hotel and not the best especially if you want to get rest.

Stayed August 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear SuthernBell,

Thank you for staying with us and for being an IHG Rewards Club member. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Jaime W
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed here for one night because my evening flight out of BHM was cancelled. The good: all employees I encountered were very friendly and personable, the elevators are fast, free shuttle to and from the airport, and free wifi. The bad: very slow service in the bar and restaurant, nobody seemed to know what they were doing, carpets in the hallways need to be cleaned/replaced, overall upkeep is poor, doors need to be replaced or repainted, thin walls. This hotel looks to me like the franchise owner is just riding out the cash inflow until his/her franchise agreement expires.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
2 Thank scott34515
Ken H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel. In regards to your concerns in our F&B department we have addressed the issues and made changes within the department. We hope that you return as our guest in the future.
Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

It's 4:15am. I'd love to be sleeping right now, except every vehicle that goes by on the highway sounds like they're driving directly through my room. No exaggeration. Fitness center is 4 cardio machines (one broken, no sign to let you know). Ordered room service, they said 20 minutes, it took 1 hour, 15 minutes. Got hit up for money by a homeless guy near the parking lot. I wouldn't stay here again if it was free.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank SoxWin09
Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport. We regret that your stay was anything less than perfect. We are in the early stages of a complete renovation so we do hope that you will return as our guest in the future and experience the service that you have come to expect when choosing Holiday Inn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Nearing $100.00 per night, this hotel is not worth the money. I had to change rooms three times due to a heavy smoke filled hallway(by the staircase, even though it is allegedly a smoke free facility), stagnant smoke smelling room #2/not clean room. There were cob webs in the ceiling corners, tacky substance on the headboard, a large portion of the wall was covered in crayon design from a child, & mildew in the bathroom. Room #3 was "whatever" after having to move 2 precious times. The woman who came to provide me a new key argued that it did not smell like smoke which was just annoying because regardless of whether or not she could smell it and be affected by it...I could. Not worth the money for the conditions of the rooms. Plus, breakfast is not included as that only applies to Holiday Inn Express:/

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Foodiemoodi
Thank you for your recent review. We regret that you experienced so many issues during your stay. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly, we welcome your feedback and would like the opportunity to win you back as a guest during future travel to the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites
#1 of 7 in Fultondale
Doubletree Hotel Birmingham
Doubletree Hotel Birmingham
#30 of 79 in Birmingham

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport? Share your experiences!