“An Adult Motel”

Days Inn Birmingham/Summit Mall
Ranked #64 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The rooms were large and clean. The breakfast was in fact hot. Square omlet type egg substance with sausage and the typical cereals (hot and cold) pastriess, waffles, etc. The rooms all had microwaves, fridges, irons and boards. The clientel were "adult" So, if you are a business man or are looking for a one or two hours stay, this is the place for you. No younger children. The staff, extremely friendly and helpful. I would stay again since no one really bothered me. And, oh yeah. Hard beds!!! I loved it.

1  Thank Robert G
DaysInn280_SM, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Birmingham/Summit Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest, We are glad to hear that you enjoy frequenting our establishment, please do not hesitate to let us know if we could be of any further assistance!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Let me start by saying, you are going to get what you pay for in this instance.
Is it cheap? Yes!
Is it in a good/close proximity to places you probably want to be? Yes!

But, if you are reading reviews on tripadvisor, it must mean that you have SOME standard of living. You care about your comfort to some degree- and if I am correct in that assumption, then you should probably look elsewhere. If you are working with a tight budget and this is your only option... I will say its not too unmanageable for maybe 2 nights.

I was in town for work and was suppose to stay here for 6 nights. 1 night, I could have handled, maybe even 2. But by night 3 I was getting TOO uncomfortable and by night 4, I was done!! I had had it and abandoned my prepaid room --- and for my safety, sanity, and health, went ahead and booked another hotel for the remainder of the trip. I guess the only bonus was that because the room was so cheap, I didn't feel bad forfeiting the money I had already paid.

Reasons I made the decision to leave:

-The red blanket that was laid over the end of the bed had 2 huge white stains on it... I kept telling myself, they were bleach stains.... I will die not knowing what those stains were.
-The bedding had cigarette burns in the sheets and the pillowcases had either rust or makeup on them with dirty black marks as well.
-There was no internet. Not "slow" internet.... there was NO internet. I tried, I tried again, and then I called the front desk. The front desk said I would have to come to the lobby to use the internet. I'm not sure if it was where my room was or what, but it sure was frustrating.
-My room had an odor. I usually dislike when people post a comment saying that, only because things in general have a smell. I have a family member who hates the smell of lavender! She says it "smells", when here I think lavender smells amazing. But this wasn't just a smell, my tripadvisor friends, this was an ODOR. It was stale air mixed with uncleanliness, I think? Running the AC to help circulate the air didn't help and made it worse. I woke up every morning with a headache, stuffy nose and red eyes. This was a huge deciding factor for my leaving. Things being slightly old and dirty, eh.. I will survive. But if I cant sleep, or wake up feeling like I was just buried alive for 8 hours, and then can't function the following day... that just doesn't work for me because the whole idea of a hotel/motel is to in fact, sleep.
-The first 2 nights, I was greeted with 3 men on the floor above mine, staring fiercely at me from the time I pulled in to the time I stepped foot into my room. A don't squirm much, but as a solo girl traveler, that was very uncomfortable.
-Wednesday, 6:51AM..... the first of a series of back to back phone calls made to my room from someone Im assuming was in another room, looking for someone named "Jay". Stating that I was not jay, didn't know a jay, and that jay could NOT be reached by calling me didn't deter them from calling back and asking if I had a cigarette???! WHAT! I was livid. I didn't pick up the 3rd time they called.
-I went to shower and get ready and there were 2 huge black bugs on my floor. (This was my breaking point. I packed everything back into my suitcase and threw it into my car because I didn't want anything crawling into my bag for a take home surprise)

The combination of the above was enough to send me packing earlier than planned.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to say that will all the issues that occurred with your stay we would have gladly canceled your prepaid reservation for you and refunded any money to the travel site if you had let someone at the front desk know of your unhappiness. I would not want anyone to feel uncomfortable during their stay with us and there is no exception to that even with a prepaid room. I am sorry your stay was anything but pleasant with Days Inn and hope that you will at least give us another shot in the future. Please call the hotel at (205) 991-9977 and ask for the Front Office Manager and we can look into your previous visit.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Reviewed 18 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Negatives... Bathrooms had hair left from previous occupant, needed upgrading, more staff needed, beds hard, not enough towels in room nor any soap.
Positive.... Price

Reviewed 10 May 2014

The assistance we received from Micah both making reservation and checking in was great! Hotel was great.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple