“Meh” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Arlington, Va
“Meh”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

This hotel was just ok. THe best thing about it is the location. In 5 points near restaurants, etc... I walked to the downtown and passed other hotels that are not as close to anything because to be honest i found B'ham to be a bit dead downtown. The hotel is ok but I kept hearing loud music when I was there at night which annoyed me. I dont know if it was coming from in or outside the hotel so might not be anything the hotel could have controlled but it was hard to sleep. The room was big enough. But I dont know - something about it was lacking. THe decor was kind of 50s retro mod which was ok. But I dont think my particular room had been cleaned very well. There were no towels in the bathroom when I got in and there was a piece of something like a pretzel or something in the middle of the floor. Anyway not the best impression when coming in. The whole hotel kind of gave me a "meh" feeling. Not awful, but not impressive either.

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. Our Executive Housekeeper was informed of your review and has handled this situation within her department. I am expressing her and my apologies for this oversight in your room, as this is not the service we strive for in our hotel~ However, we so appreciate your bringing this to our attention. We so hope you will stay with us again while in Birmingham, as we are positive your experience will be up to your expectations~ Renee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Tenn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

After reading many reviews, my wife and I(and another couple) stayed at The Hotel Highlands this past weekend while we were in Birmingham for Wicked. What a huge disappointment!!!

We arrived at the hotel shortly after 1 and were told our room would not be ready til 3. Not a big deal since check in is at 3. After returning from a long lunch, our room was not ready. It is now 3:10. We were told they were running behind. A little after 4, we finally got our rooms, over 1 hour past published check in. To make matters worst, hotel bar was not open, which was strange for a Saturday.
We told our friends to meet us back down at the bar at 5:30 for cocktails before dinner. Upon arrival, the bar was still closed. Asked front desk clerk why it was closed, we were told "because we don't open til 6:30 tonight". What a lame excuse.
The highlight was that when we returned from the show, the bar was open and the bartender was very nice. We asked her why they weren't open earlier than 6:30, she informed us that she can only work 40 hours a week as the hotel will not pay overtime and she was the only bartender. What a joke.
When leaving in morning, we called down to have valet pull car around. After checking out, we were told valet they were short on employees and it would be another 20-30 minutes. So we ask for keys and followed valet worker to parking lot.
In all, huge disappointment. With so many out of work and hotel sold out to capacity, they can afford more employees.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank pkwilly
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with us. I cannot convey how disappointed we are that your stay was not up to your or our expectations. There are no words to say that can undo this unacceptable and dishearting treatment of our staff to you and your friends, except to extend our utmost apologies, as this level of service is not normal or tolerated. I would be so grateful if you would call me at your earliest convenience to discuss this matter in further detail. My direct line is 205-271-5998. My apologies again to you, your wife and friends~ Renee
Apalachicola, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

I had a wonderful time visiting my old "stomping grounds". This hotel was the icing on the cake. Beautifully renovated and conveniently located. I had a suite and chose to valet park my car. I enjoyed walking to my favorite neighborhood restaurant, Ranelli's, as well as the other fine restaurants in the neighborhood. I highly recommend!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our hotel! I am glad that you enjoyed seeing your old "stomping" grounds again! Please come back and visit with us whenever you are back in Birmingham! Thank you again and have a fabulous day~ Renee
Scituate, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

Our first visit to Birmingham was not under the best of circumstances to say the least. My husband needed treatment at UAB Hospital for several days. I had never been to Birmingham and was clueless where to stay. I found The Hotel Highland online and made a reservation. From the moment we checked in the staff bent over backwards to ensure we were comfortable. Our room was lovely and the bed extremely comfortable. Breakfast was delicious and with a large variety of choices. For dinner the restaurants were amazing and all within walking distance. We will be back to Birmingham often and The Hotel Highland is the only place we will stay!!

• Stayed December 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of our hotel! We certainly appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again under better circumstances. Hope things are better and our many thanks again~ Renee
Tuckasegee, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

Clean, comfortable rooms within walking distance of Kirklin Clinic and other UAB Medical
buildings. Excellent restaurants nearby. For first time visitors to this hotel
valet parking is recommended. If you prefer self parking on subsequent nights or visits, take the outside elevator (in the plaza ) to the parking deck and note the location of the entrance ramp.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Willswnc
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of our hotel, as we certainly appreciate your comments and are glad you enjoyed the hotel! Please feel free to stop by the next time you are here and say hello, as I always enjoy meeting our customers in person! Have a happy holiday season and thank you again~ Renee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

We had a wonderful time. Plenty of restaurants in walking distance. The rooms are small but refurbished and contemporary. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed November 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of our hotel! We look forward to having you stay with us again in the very near future~ Thank you again and have a wonderful day~ Renee
Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Highland during the Magic City Classic weekend (Oct 28-30). The hotel was clean and decorated nicely however the bathrooom sink was slow to drain, there were no vending/ice machines on the floors (we had to go downstairs and get ice & sodas from the front desk), and the parking sucked. $14 for Valet or you could use the parking deck behind the hotel but you had to pay $4 every time you came back into the deck. The worst thing was that they charged my friend's credit card 6 (SIX) TIMES!!!! Then they told her to wait to see if it adjusts. Unnacceptable! The young lady at the front desk (Kay) had no clue what she was doing and told me the wrong total for my charges. When I asked if she was sure, she went into a tangent about how she hates the night shift and she doesn't know why they do what they do when it had nothing to do with the fact that she didn't know how to do her job correctly. It was very unprofessional.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank msb3001
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 2 November 2011
Good Afternoon! Thank you for your reveiw of our hotel and the comments regarding the desk, as I am Kay French, the General Manager of the hotel, and don't believe it was me that checked you into the hotel, as we have no clerks named Kay. However, I would like to speak to you about your experience and will be calling you here in the very near future~ Thank you again for comments and I look forward to talking with you~ Kay