“Hotel Highland”

Ranked #29 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Omaha
“Hotel Highland”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The rooms were very clean and the service was excellent. The area were the hotel is located is in walking distance to many fine eating establishment. The continental breakfast were more like a buffet. I only wish that the hotel had a swimming pool, however, they do have a small gym where you can work off some meals.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Thank you Charles for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, as we are glad your experience with us was a good one, as that is our goal! I also wish we had a pool, however, I am not sure where one would actually go! LOL Have a wonderful day and thank you again! Come see us again....soon! Renee :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Moody, Alabama
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I stayed this past weekend and this Hotel was perfectly located, I was able to walk to Ocean and Highland bar and grill. From driving up someone is there to meet us with a very reasonable valet, $16, It was awesome. The area was very urban with lots of bars and cool restaurants. GLORIA checked us in and she stole the show by recommending where to eat and the history of the area. They made us feel like locals not someone coming from out of town. I don,t live that far away and this will be the place I come too more often. Also a shutout for World of Beers..... Awesome and we paid they extra $30 bucks and got the sweet , it was big and beautiful overlooking the Vulcan... Nice... Go here if you can....

Room Tip: Breakfast was really good and free here
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Thank you Colby L for your most awesome review of our hotel! I am glad you had a great experience here at the Hotel Highland and that you loved your suite! Thank you again for your kind words, as I will pass them along to our staff, especially Gloria, she will be thrilled! See you on your next visit! Renee
cleveland, ohio
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. We stayed in Birmingham for two nights principally to have dinner at Highlands Bar and Grill and Hot and Hot Fish Club; both outstanding restaurants. The hotel was perfect for that since it was within walking distance of both. The area around the hotel was pretty seedy. There is a head shop directly across the street and an area with homeless people camped out just a few steps from the hotel. Never really felt safe. We were approached panhandlers both nights. As for the rooms, they are average at best. They seem clean. The toilet did not flush in our bathroom and we contacted the front desk. It was never fixed. The workers at the hotel seemed indifferent to their jobs. The bellboy seemed taken aback when I asked if he could help us get our bags to our room. He did it, but went up to the room before us and simply dropped the luggage inside the room. The common areas of the hotel need to be updated as they seemed dirty.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
I cannot even apologize enough for your experience here at our hotel, as that is surely not your expectation nor ours. Our service is something we pride ourselves on and am just floored that we have dropped the ball at your expense~ With being in an urban area, like most downtown establishments, we embrace many cultures and diversities and with the police sub-station just across the street, I feel the area is safe and have worked in the area for many years without incident~
We have had serious conversation not only with the valet company but with our employees as well and have established some new training modules.....we certainly appreciate your bringing these issues to our attention, as we cannot fix the problems if we are unaware of them~
Thank you again for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. We so hope you will come again in the very near future....please call me directly and I will be glad to make your arrangements! Have a wonderful day~ Renee
Kentucky
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

I had never visited Birmingham before our stay. The Highland is a neatly updated older hotel in a cool neighborhood near the UAB campus. The room we had is typical of older hotel rooms - a bit on the smallish side - but very comfortable and clean. We had post it notes in the room, from the staff, letting us know the bedding was fresh (it was, very!) and where to find the hair dryer. Cute.

Our view from the 6th floor was terrific - over the lovely church across the street and up the hill to Vulcan.

Parking was pretty easy, just around the corner from the hotel front entrance - they also have valet service.

The surrounding neighborhood is full of restaurants and bars - you don't need the car once it's parked.

We only stayed one night, very pleasant though.

• Stayed June 2013
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you Rusty Kentucky for such an awesome review of our hotel! You must come back and stay more than one night to enjoy all that Birmingham and Five Points South as to offer! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and are looking so forward to seeing you again!! Thank you again and Go Big Blue!! Renee :)
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Staying here was very convenient and easy. The location makes this hotel such that we parked our car and didn't retrieve it until we checked out - everything we needed was within walking distance. We were able to park free on the street in front of the hotel as the metered parking is free at night.

Within walking distance are many good restaurants. We really enjoyed dining out in the area.

The hotel was nice and clean with modern art for decor in the public areas. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. As others mentioned, we did hear a bit of noise from the next door establishment but it was not enough to bother us. If I'm in the area again, I will come back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We certainly appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again in the very near future! Again our many thanks and hope you have a wonderful day! Renee :)
PA
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I am writing this review from hotel itself. I am having a procedure done early tomorrow at the medical school, so I decided to stay here for the night. I paid $140 including taxes and fees.

PROS:
*The staff is polite, helpful, and quick to respond.
*The room is clean.
*The internet is free and fast.

CONS:
*The parking policy is exasperating. It's not really the hotel's fault since I'm pretty sure the hotel doesn't own the garage that's behind it. The garage is pretty affordable with an hourly rate that maxes out at $4 a day. The problem is that every time you leave, you have to pay your ticket, and every time you re-enter, you have to get a new ticket. If you leave and enter three times in one day, you have to pay up to $12 rather than the $4 daily fee. There are no exceptions for hotel guests.

*There are no signs in the garage telling you how to get to the hotel. [See tip below]

*You have limited control over the room temperature. See the image I've posted.

*The rooms don't have refrigerators.

*One of the bathroom lights in the first room I was assigned didn't work. One of the closet doors didn't open, and the other didn't close. The staff very helpfully got me to another room.

*In the second room's bathroom, there is a piece of plastic matting glued to the bottom of the tub. The plastic matting was glued on in a slipshod manner. It appears that the original mat didn't fit, so they randomly cut away a piece of it. One corner of the matting has peeled to reveal glue that was carelessly applied.

FOR MEDICAL CENTER PATIENTS:
I chose this place because of its proximity to the medical center because of my early morning appointment/procedure. I would recommend against this hotel if any of the following apply to you:

*You plan to enter and exit the parking garage multiple times in a day

*You need some control over the room temperature

*You have medications that need to be refrigerated

*Your medical condition involves mobility issues, or you need help with your luggage. While I'm sure the staff is accommodating about this, it can still be a hassle. Depending on where you park, you may have to walk across the parking garage, ride the escalator down a few flights, enter the hotel, ask a staff member, accompany the staff member back across the garage to your car, and then back to the hotel.

TIPS:
*When you get down the elevator to the hotel's back doors, it says that you need your key card to enter, suggesting that you need to walk around to the front. However, I pressed the bell in the back explaining that I was a guest arriving for the first time, and they let me in the back. So don't let that deter you.

*Park as close to the elevator as you can. It's a multi-level garage, so even if you wheel your luggage rather than carry it, you do it on a slope. Depending on where you park, you may want to check in without your luggage and then ask for a staff member to help you with your luggage.

*Know that this is an aging hotel, and keep your aesthetic expectations consistent with that. There are some cracked tiles, worn carpeting, chipped paint, etc.

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tomatonose
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Thank you so much for the review of our hotel and the extended tips for others as we certainly appreciate all points of views and opinions to help make everyone's experience with us a fabulous one!
Did you know that the hotel offers valet service for a mere $16 per day? It is so much more convenient than the Public Parking Deck behind the hotel (which is correct, the hotel does not own or operate this deck). With valet, just pull to front door, the valet will help get your luggage settled and then pull your car to parking. Just call when car is needed and it will be brought to front door. However, I do apologize that valet was not there to help with your luggage even when parking in the deck.
The suites do have refrigerators in them or if asked, we could of had one delivered to your room for a small rental fee. An upgrade to a suite is not much either, as they are so spacious and wonderful. Again, I do apologize if the desk clerk didn't mention either of these options to you when noting your medication needs to her/him.
I again am so sorry for your maintenance issues in both rooms and have had maintenance fix both, as you are so correct in an aging building. Thank you for letting us know about these issues!

Thank you for noting the PROS, as we do strive to make each visitor feel welcomed and to have a very very clean room with fast internet....did you also know that Breakfast was included in your rate too~
I do hope you will elect to stay with us again should you be back at the Medical Center or just in Birmingham and to try some of these other convenineces to hopefully make your stay more enjoyable~ Please feel free to call me, as I will be glad to make the arrangements for you!

I also hope all went well with your medical procedure~

Again, our many thanks and I hope you have a wonderful day~ Renee :)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I will admit I'm generally a point hoarder and its almost always Marriott, however the only city where I stray from my mistress is Birmingham and the reason Hotel Highland. I was turned on to this hotel by a friend who suggested the property. This hotel has charm and located in a great area of the city with many dining options. In my visits I have found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean with nice beds. When I make my loop through Birmingham I always lose my Marriott points to this great hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our hotel! We love having you stay with us and apprecicate your giving up your Marriott points for us! We are looking forward to seeing you again in the very near future~ Please stop by and say hello! Again, our many thanks and have a fabulous day~ Renee :)