“Great Hotel - Great Location!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB

The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB
Ranked #25 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Montana, Usa
“Great Hotel - Great Location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I have stayed at the Hotel Highland a number of times and it is always a pleasure. The staff is terrific and they have great memories...many say hi to me by name, which is always nice after a long day of travel. The rooms are really nice - comfy beds, most are suites and have a separate living area and a kitchenette with microwave and fridge. And they allow pets! They also include a nice breakfast, including hot items every morning. Their fitness center is small, but I rarely run into anyone in it. The location can't be beat - they are close to many really great restaurants, the requisite Starbucks and still close to downtown. From a weary traveler perspective...feels like home!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you Kristine O for such an awesome review of our hotel! We are always so glad to see you! We are happy to make a wreary traveller feel safe, warm and welcomed! I will be passing your wonderful comments onto the staff, as they will be happy to hear~ Thank you again and we will see you in the very near future!! Renee :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Hollywood, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

The hotel is part of Choice's Asend Collection. The hotel has unique furnishings, great service, clean super breakfast and is centered near many great restaurants. If you don't chose their Valet parking you are limited to parking on the street or public parking garage.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! We certainly appreciate the very favorable comments....thanks!! Please come back and visit with us the next time you are in Birmingham!! Have a wonderful rest of your day and thank you again~ :) Renee
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

I was taking the Amtrak through the South on holiday and made Birmingham one of my stops. Having being stuck in very generic, chainy hotels for most of the way I wanted something a little bit different with a touch of originality. It was also important that I could walk to places I wanted to eat and see with relative ease. Needless to say, the Highland ticks all the boxes!

The staff are wonderful; polite and courteous but without being pandering or overly formal.They called me taxis, gave me recommendations and were basically just nice to chat to. Meghan at the front desk gave me a friendly welcome, answered all of my questions and was kind enough to check me in early. The icing on the cake was an upgrade to a suite, which brings me onto the lodgings...

My room was great, impeccably clean and full of personal touches (I thought the notes from the housekeepers were rather adorable). My bed was huge and comfortable and the bathroom amply stocked with various toiletries that I'd forgotten! The décor and furniture, like the rest of the hotel, is quirky, original and very pretty.

When I wasn't enjoying the food and the sights in Birmingham I also had a couple of drinks at the bar which, thought small, had a nice, lively atmosphere. Both Kendra and Sarah were charming, friendly tenders (if you have a sweet tooth ask Sarah to make you a cotton candy martini!) who make you feel right at home there.

All in all I had a fantastic visit, the staff alone made it worth it. If I'm going that way again I shall certainly be back!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Oh my...thank you for such a fabulous review of our hotel! We are so very excited that we could help make your holiday a wonderful one! The "girls" will be so thrilled that you have mentioned them in your review....as I cannot wait to show it to them! Thank you so much again, as we certainly hope to see you again in the very near future! Take care~ Renee :)
Columbia, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

From the view of your hotel room to the quality of the furniture to the friendliness of the staff, the care put into the experience by the staff and developers can be seen. It was probably the best experience I have ever had with a hotel stay. The prices are reasonable for the location and a great value for the amount of accommodations and benefits you receive. Another great feature is the valet parking; your car is stored in a secure lot below the building. I will only stay here when I visit Birmingham from here on out.

Room Tip: Get a room high enough up so you can have the full view of the mountain and awesome architecture of...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an awesome review of our hotel!! We certainly appreciate the kind words and will pass them along to the staff~ We are looking forward to seeing you again in the very near future! Thank you again! Renee :)
Enterprise, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Highland located in the Five Points District when taking my daughter to UAB. The staff really sets this hotel above the rest. Sarah, Stephanie and Lauren went out to their way to make sure everything was just right and had me feeling like family after just two nights! I used the valet service (great guys) and though it is $16 a night, I didn't have to fight for parking, which was really helpful when driving back and forth to UAB multiple times. The proximity to fine dining is also a huge plus. If you stop by the wet bar, say hi to Sarah for me!

Room Tip: If you'd like to skip valet parking, weekend and and after 5 or 6 pm are free in metered areas.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fabulous review of our hotel!! We certainly love the staff here and the "girls" will be so excited to know that they have been mentioned in your review!! We are looking forward to seeing you again in the very future! Take care and thank you again~ Renee
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

This is kind of a quirky location / hotel....in a good way. I would definitely stay there again despite some "glitches" that were understandable......like the TV station in the bar couldn't be changed because they were updating the dish? cable? There was also something the bar was out of.....can't remember.

It's charming and a little kitschy. The rooms were of a nice size, but as I informed the hotel, our room was very musty-smelling......unlike our kids' room.

They have a breakfast that we were not able to eat because we had leave for the airport so early.

Right down the street and around the corner are some fabulous restaurants.

Yes, I will be there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor! We certainly do appreciate your kind comments and will surely look into that musty smell~ Please come and visit with us again! Have a wonderful day! Renee
Niceville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Hotel Highland is located in the Five Points District which makes it easy to walk to some fine dining. The staff was excellent and the rooms were fine. It's an old building so the space/price is high. Nice lobby and bar, but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Thank you JRoser for your review of our hotel! We certainly appreciated your comments and look forward to seeing you again the very near future! Thank you again for for taking the time to tell us about your stay! Have a wonderful day~ Renee