“At Home in the Deep South”

The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB
Ranked #39 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stay at this hotel every year for a media-associates' gathering. Everyone, from the valet parking attendant to the front desk clerk to the bartender in their cozy bar, was more than accommodating. This place is the epitome of Southern hospitality and friendliness! I always feel as if I'm visiting friends when I stay here.
If you've never been to Birmingham, Alabama--stay HERE. You're within walking distance of more than a half-dozen boutiques, restaurants and bars. The area is beautiful and you will be glad you booked your stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Thank so much Theresa L for taking the time to write such a fabulous review! We certainly appreciate your sharing your experience and look forward to seeing you again!! Also, the staff and team members will be so very pleased to hear your wonderful comments....so thank you again! Have a great day! Renee

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I came from NYC on business and was surprised this caliber Hotel was located in Birmingham, AL. The staff was super friendlly and the rooms were as nice as I have ever been in!!! Not only beautifully decorated but so comforatable! The owner made me feel as welcome as ever and was so helpful in suggesting nearby places to eat. I will always stay at this hotel and will let my co-workers know about this hidden dream!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you 4Bham for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay.....the staff will be so excited to hear your review! We are certainly looking forward to seeing you again in the very near future and so appreciate your writing such a fabulous review! Have a great day~ Renee

Reviewed 18 February 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Highland for two nights this past week (2/16/14 & 2/17/14) and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The bed was super comfortable, the room spacious, and the shower hot and powerful.

In particular, there were two employees who were lifesavers: Gloria and Kenneth.

1) Kenneth -- he helped us move our many suitcases into the hotel late Sat night (2am arrival) and set us up with valet parking. Kenneth was calm and unbelievably helpful, as we required two carts to haul our many packages and suitcases. He was a godsend because we were very tired from our 10 hour drive from Chicago that night. What a great guy (and hard worker!).

2) Gloria -- she saved me today when I opened up my suitcase here in Atlanta and realized that I had left all of my sweaters at the hotel in two of the drawers of our room. I panicked and immediately called the hotel and Gloria was super helpful in locating the sweaters and arranging to ship them via Fedex to our next stop, Nashville. Along with Andy, who helped with filling out the Fedex forms, Gloria went the extra step to deliver the box to Fedex herself! In addition, she called when our Fedex number couldn't be processed due to my giving her an incorrect number (off by one digit). It was a regular comedy of errors on my part, and Gloria really worked hard to rectify my mistake so that I can have my sweaters when we head on back North on Friday (driving to Cleveland).

Thank you Gloria and Kenneth! You guys are THE BEST! I hope you guys get big raises for your extraordinary efforts on our behalf...;) Both of you stayed past your regular work hours to help us out, and we will always be grateful for that. :)
---

1  Thank V2fromBrooklyn
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you V2 for taking time to write such a wonderful review, not only of our hotel but our staff as well! They will be so pleased to see that you have recognized them for the efforts and service! We are also pleased that your experience with us was a positive one and look forward to hopefully seeing you in the future! Again our many thanks for sharing~ Have a great day! Renee

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed on Valentine's Day weekend. It was really good. The area around has great places to eat, good places for music and even an art museum is not too far away. We went up to the Vulcan park and walked around. Check-in was smooth and we just dropped our keys off at the desk on the way out. Very clean room and wonderful bed. Had a great time, a nice get-away. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: 807 is the BEST ! The only queen room, beautiful bedroom set & headboard. Overlooks the castle...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa B

Thank you so much for your awesome review of our hotel! We certainly thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with other travelers! Thank you again and have a wonderful day~ See you again in the future! Renee

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed at the Highland on 2-13-14. Suite room was small but clean. Bed comfortable.
Staff was friendly. There is no free parking. Valet parking was expensive but nice and safe.
Next trip to UAB, I will stay in Homewood and drive the 5 miles each day.

2  Thank swn g
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review of our hotel! We certainly appreciate our guests and their feedback to hopefully make the next visit even better! Other than valet parking, I wasn't sure if you knew about the public city deck directly behind the hotel....it is $4.00 which is a bit less expensive, but it is $4.00 per exit. Do be careful when picking a hotel in Homewood, as in the downtown area they do charge for parking, but in the outer area (near the interstate) they do not! If we can be of any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to ask! Of course, we would love to have you stay with us in the future! Have a great day and thank you again! Renee

Reviewed 13 February 2014

For those who just want to walk in and have a semi casual experience: sit at the bar! The fish, steak, grits, and creme brûlée were some of the best we have ever had. I would go back for the creme brûlée alone!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review and tell us about your experience at what I believe is probably Highlands Bar & Grill which is down the street from our hotel. They have wonderful food, as I am sad to say our bar does not serve any food! The next over this way, please do stop by and and check out our hotel, as I know you would love it too! Have a wonderful day and thank you again~ Renee

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I recommend Hotel Highland all the time as a local boutique hotel and now that I was stranded there during our recent snow storm, I am even more impressed with the Hotel and the staff. The accommodations were very nice and clean, roomy and a great view of the city. The breakfast was nice with lots of choices. The staff, as stressed as they were, remained kind and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Thank you Toby for taking the time to share your experience here at our hotel on TripAdvisor! Though I hate it was under such stressful circumstances, we certainly loved having you with us!! We look forward to seeing you again (hopefully happier times) in the near future!! Thank you again for all the recommendations and for your review! Have a fabulous day~ Renee