My husband and I just returned home after having a nice weekend getaway in Birmingham. We were in room 602, which has a great view of the funky 5 Points area. This is the second time I've stayed here. The first time was during the week on a business trip. I like this hotel, but I could see why some would not. It's older, has great artwork, and kind of funky. And the location is fantastic. There is room for improvement - others have mentioned that the television reception is poor - and it is. We don't watch much television when we travel (usually news), but every single channel is "snowy". When you are used to HD television, at home, it is a bit shocking to realize that there is still such poor reception in some places. The beds are comfortable, there was plenty of hot water and the water pressure in the shower was fine. The breakfast room is too small - on Saturday we went down for breakfast and there was no room at the inn! Even the bar was mostly full of people eating breakfast, so we walked across the street to one of several places to have breakfast. One thing, every single employee we had dealings with were extremely nice and very helpful - absolutely no complaints about the service at all. I do get the feeling that they operate very lean, though - it seemed to take a long time before our room was cleaned on Saturday. And the location is great - you can walk so many places around there, just be careful. Be aware of your surroundings - common travel sense. And Birmingham is easy to navigate, so if you drive to some of the attractions, it's easy to get to anywhere. The noise was a factor on Friday night, but Saturday was much quieter. Much of the noise on Friday was due to the people in a room near us that had a very loud argument in the hallway at 2am. Of course, this is no fault of the hotel. There was a little street noise on Friday, but not enough to get upset about. If I were to go back to Birmingham, I would not hesitate to stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Highland at Five Points South is located just minutes/blocks from UAB and right in the center of all the fabulous restaurants (including Highland Bar & Grill, Chez FonFon, Surin, Ocean, and Twenty Six, just to name a few) and entertainment venues! It is THE place to be while in Birmingham! Just minutes from the Birmingham Courthouse, BJCC, Kirklin Clinic, UAB Highlands and shopping areas! With 63 amazing rooms and suites, with affordable rates that include breakfast and WiFi...it is your "home away from home". Call today to book your reservation! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Highland At 5 Points
- Highland At Five Points Hotel