“Older, Quirky and in a Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB

The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB
Ranked #25 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Atlanta, Georgia
“Older, Quirky and in a Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

My husband and I just returned home after having a nice weekend getaway in Birmingham. We were in room 602, which has a great view of the funky 5 Points area. This is the second time I've stayed here. The first time was during the week on a business trip. I like this hotel, but I could see why some would not. It's older, has great artwork, and kind of funky. And the location is fantastic. There is room for improvement - others have mentioned that the television reception is poor - and it is. We don't watch much television when we travel (usually news), but every single channel is "snowy". When you are used to HD television, at home, it is a bit shocking to realize that there is still such poor reception in some places. The beds are comfortable, there was plenty of hot water and the water pressure in the shower was fine. The breakfast room is too small - on Saturday we went down for breakfast and there was no room at the inn! Even the bar was mostly full of people eating breakfast, so we walked across the street to one of several places to have breakfast. One thing, every single employee we had dealings with were extremely nice and very helpful - absolutely no complaints about the service at all. I do get the feeling that they operate very lean, though - it seemed to take a long time before our room was cleaned on Saturday. And the location is great - you can walk so many places around there, just be careful. Be aware of your surroundings - common travel sense. And Birmingham is easy to navigate, so if you drive to some of the attractions, it's easy to get to anywhere. The noise was a factor on Friday night, but Saturday was much quieter. Much of the noise on Friday was due to the people in a room near us that had a very loud argument in the hallway at 2am. Of course, this is no fault of the hotel. There was a little street noise on Friday, but not enough to get upset about. If I were to go back to Birmingham, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you so much taking the time to tell us about your experience here at The Hotel Highland! I must agree with our cable, as it is an on-going battle and must say that is our only choice for the service! One day they will get it correct! I certainly appreciate your comments and suggestions though. It does take some time to get cleaning service, as the ladies clean all the check outs first and then move on to the stay-overs, but for sure the next time you are here, just let us know and we can have the ladies come clean whenever the time is good for you! Again, thank you so much for the kind words.....we look forward to seeing you again in the very near future! Have a wonderful day~ Renee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Athens, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Hotel Highland, although a little older, was very nice. Our suite was very large and had a great view of the Vulcan statue in Birmingham. Everything was clean and the staff were as nice as they could be. We were there with our dog and they were very pet-friendly. Our primary complaint was the late-night noise from the five-points district which we overlooked. The Friday night partiers woke us up several times. At 3:00 AM, a group of motorcycles cruised thru a few times and kept us awake for about half an hour. That's nothing the hotel could control. The hotel and staff did a great job!

Our biggest disappointment in the area is more due to the city of Birmingham's lack of cleanliness. Five Points is one of the main attractions of the city, but it was filthy! Litter was everywhere and had not been picked up for some time. Broken glass was all over the grass medians separating the street and sidewalk. Paper and plastic cups and bottles were just thrown in the street. One of the problems is the lack of trashcans, and the fact that trashcans that were present, were overflowing. Very disappointing!

Room Tip: Our corner suite (room 603 I believe) was huge! Four large windows. Very nice!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay here at The Hotel Highland!! I do so apologize for the noise and the surrounding area and have cc'd not only the Pres of the area Association but also the Mayor' s office, so that they too could see your comments! I do so appreciate your taking the time to tell me about your experience! Other than that, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay, as we hope to see you back soon!! Have a great day and thank you again! Renee
Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

When we arrived at Hotel Highland we were warmly greeted by the valet guy. Super nice, offered to help with our bags, said he was the valet but happy to help any way we needed. At check-in, a very nice lady with short blonde hair greeted us. She gave us all of the information we needed on breakfast, ice and elevators. She also gave us directions to the restaurant where we had reservations. Super nice lady.

Not sure how old the hotel is, but it's definitely an older property. Our room was guacamole green, but it was nicely furnished. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. The TV, however, was terrible - you couldn't get a channel that didn't have fuzzies. No problem for us because we usually only watch tv to catch up on the news, but they definitely need to upgrade the TV / reception.

Due to the location of this hotel, you can walk just about anywhere and have a nice dinner. We appreciate the convenience of being able to walk to shops and restaurants. Our room also gave us a great view of 5 Points and all of the activity. Noise was not a factor.

The next morning we went downstairs for a quick bite to eat and coffee. The woman who was working the front desk was so busy with her tablet she didn't even look up at us when we asked her a question. Maybe she was annoyed that we interrupted her game of Candy Crush?? And the lady who was working the breakfast area seemed equally annoyed that she was working. Of course, it was the day after the big St Patrick's Day celebration, so maybe they were just all hungover?

Anyway, we thought the first half of the stay was quite nice :)

• 3 of 5 bubbles
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience here at The Hotel Highland! I am glad that the first half of your stay was a good one but do so apologize for everyone else being annoyed with you! I can assure you that we will be having several converations with the employees mentioned, as this is not our service standard nor our best practices. I do, however, very much appreciate your bringing this to my attention and hope that on your next visit our service is much better! Thank you again and have a wonderful day! Renee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I haven't even checked out yet, but felt compelled to post about this unfortunate experience- its rare that you meet a person that is so rude it immediately makes you say "I will never stay at this hotel again", but it happened here this morning. First time at this hotel- in town to see a concert last nite with my wife. We chose Hotel Highland because of it's location- very close to local bars and restaurants. That part is great. Hotel is nicely decorated and appeared clean. Paint peeling badly in bedroom, but it's an old building- no biggie. Check in was pleasant but there's no access to ice- they said they'd bring some up- it never came- we went down to get it- they apologized and said they "were very busy bc somebody didn't come to work". Usually not a good sign when one no-show employee has disrupted the entire customer service operation... This morning I made the unfortunate decision to try the complimentary breakfast- I really wish I hadn't. The door was locked- I turned to leave but someone opened it- a nice lady- smiling. I wish she'd been the one working, but she's a guest like me. Around the corner comes the worker- moving fast- because she heard that door open- and she's moving probably faster than she had all day, to tell me "We closed! Breakfast over at 9:30!"
I looked at my watch- 9:31. I just wanted some juice I said. "We closed!" I asked about some extra coffee to make in my room- she shook her head and said I had to get it at the front desk. And lets just say she wasn't sweet about it... At the front desk, the girl informed me that the breakfast lady is "crazy". Very reassuring. Later, I went outside to have a smoke- standing there outside the window looking into the breakfast area, I watched the rude breakfast lady fill her glass with orange juice, drink it down, fill it up again, and slowly walk back up the hall. No hurry.
It reminded not to hurry back to this hotel... Ever.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you so much for bringing this behavior of our team member(s) to my attention, as this is surely NOT the service standard we provide to our guests......I am just ashamed and cannot apologize enough for your having to not only witness it but have to tell me about it. I can assure you we will be having a serious conversation regarding such. I have also alerted the Chief Engineer to the paint issue. I do hope on your next visit our best practices will be back in place and your stay will be much more pleasant. I thank you again for taking the time to tell me about this and do so hope you will come and see us again! Have a fabulous day! Renee
Fairhope, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stay at this hotel every year for a media-associates' gathering. Everyone, from the valet parking attendant to the front desk clerk to the bartender in their cozy bar, was more than accommodating. This place is the epitome of Southern hospitality and friendliness! I always feel as if I'm visiting friends when I stay here.
If you've never been to Birmingham, Alabama--stay HERE. You're within walking distance of more than a half-dozen boutiques, restaurants and bars. The area is beautiful and you will be glad you booked your stay here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank so much Theresa L for taking the time to write such a fabulous review! We certainly appreciate your sharing your experience and look forward to seeing you again!! Also, the staff and team members will be so very pleased to hear your wonderful comments....so thank you again! Have a great day! Renee
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I came from NYC on business and was surprised this caliber Hotel was located in Birmingham, AL. The staff was super friendlly and the rooms were as nice as I have ever been in!!! Not only beautifully decorated but so comforatable! The owner made me feel as welcome as ever and was so helpful in suggesting nearby places to eat. I will always stay at this hotel and will let my co-workers know about this hidden dream!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you 4Bham for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay.....the staff will be so excited to hear your review! We are certainly looking forward to seeing you again in the very near future and so appreciate your writing such a fabulous review! Have a great day~ Renee
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Highland for two nights this past week (2/16/14 & 2/17/14) and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The bed was super comfortable, the room spacious, and the shower hot and powerful.

In particular, there were two employees who were lifesavers: Gloria and Kenneth.

1) Kenneth -- he helped us move our many suitcases into the hotel late Sat night (2am arrival) and set us up with valet parking. Kenneth was calm and unbelievably helpful, as we required two carts to haul our many packages and suitcases. He was a godsend because we were very tired from our 10 hour drive from Chicago that night. What a great guy (and hard worker!).

2) Gloria -- she saved me today when I opened up my suitcase here in Atlanta and realized that I had left all of my sweaters at the hotel in two of the drawers of our room. I panicked and immediately called the hotel and Gloria was super helpful in locating the sweaters and arranging to ship them via Fedex to our next stop, Nashville. Along with Andy, who helped with filling out the Fedex forms, Gloria went the extra step to deliver the box to Fedex herself! In addition, she called when our Fedex number couldn't be processed due to my giving her an incorrect number (off by one digit). It was a regular comedy of errors on my part, and Gloria really worked hard to rectify my mistake so that I can have my sweaters when we head on back North on Friday (driving to Cleveland).

Thank you Gloria and Kenneth! You guys are THE BEST! I hope you guys get big raises for your extraordinary efforts on our behalf...;) Both of you stayed past your regular work hours to help us out, and we will always be grateful for that. :)
---

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank V2fromBrooklyn
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you V2 for taking time to write such a wonderful review, not only of our hotel but our staff as well! They will be so pleased to see that you have recognized them for the efforts and service! We are also pleased that your experience with us was a positive one and look forward to hopefully seeing you in the future! Again our many thanks for sharing~ Have a great day! Renee