“Comfortable room, friendly staff”

Doubletree Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #30 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Missouri City, Texas
“Comfortable room, friendly staff”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We were only here for one night so this review only includes room service, staff and the room itself.

In the mornings the first thing I do is make my coffee and we were surprised to see that the coffee pot hadn't been cleaned in some time. When I pulled out the container to place the coffee pod in there was a dried up one still in there. Needless to say we didn't clean it or use the coffee pot.

As an HH member, I've always been placed on the designated HH Floors where it's clearly marked. Maybe this hotel doesn't have it marked? We also were not offered any cookies upon checkin (a staple of staying here) but my husband saw trays full in the garbage the next morning.

I felt the room service we ordered was overly priced pub food at best. I've come to realize that room service really doesn't = quality food anymore.

They have a private, manned parking garage for parking which helped alleviate our security concerns but they do also charge you for this.

Front Desk staff was very friendly.

The room was very comfortable and spacious in my opinion. We had our daughter with us who slept in a gocrib and there was plenty of room even with that up. They were pretty up to date which was nice to see. Modern fixtures and lots of outle plugs to charge all the techy stuff.

Microwaves and refrigerators are big additions these days. As the cost of things go up people travel more with their own items and having these available is a huge plus. Also, as a mother, it's very helpful to have a microwave in the room for heating any necessary items! This hotel lacks both (in the standard King room anyway)

Overall Cons:
No free internet
No free parking
No microwave
No fridge

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Michelle E, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Hello,
I am Michelle Edwards, guest service manager with the Doubletree hotel in Birmigham, Al. I apologize about the coffee pot in your room. We could have certainly taken care of that for you. We do offer refrigerators available upon request at no additional charge. I am glad that the service you experienced was exceptional. I hope you come back and visit with us again. If you do, please contact me personally so that I may help ensure your stay is more exceptional. Thank you and I hope to speak with you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
New York, NY
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in December 2013. I've seen some reviewers complain the rooms are too small for the price and that the room doesn't have a fridge or a microwave.The room is an average size hotel room, and is comfortable, appealing and clean. Yes, there was not a fridge nor a microwave but on a short stay why would one need it. I wanted a cold drink one night and used the ice machine in the corridor and the ice bucket in the room. Location is central to downtown. Staff were good. I didn't make use of any of the amenities or breakfast so can't comment on that. But overall and especially given price, I would definetly stay here again. No complaints.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
medwards1978, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Hello,
This is Michelle Edwards, guest service manager with the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham, Al. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We want you to be excited when staying with us and we strive to make your stay exceptional. I hope you come back and visit with us soon. Thank you
MS
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the DoubleTree for one night when in Birmingham for a concert. Hotel seemed quiet when we checked in around 6pm, but the staff members were all very helpful and friendly. Gotta love the warm cookies upon check-in! Reggie, the shuttle driver, was especially hospitable and offered to drive us to dinner. He even took us to the concert later that evening, saying he'd rather drive us than have us walk. I hadn't even realized the hotel had a shuttle! We found out about it when requesting a cab. Our room was on the main floor (Hilton Honors floor), and light sleepers might have trouble with the noise since it's next to UAB hospital and ambulances come in at all hours. We had no trouble sleeping, though. For a hotel whose exterior appeared older, the room was modern and very clean. My only complaint, and this is very minor, would be that the water temperature in the shower never got hot-- just warm. I would, however, definitely revisit this hotel when in Birmingham again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello,
This is Michelle Edwards, guest service manager with the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham, Al. It is wonderful to know that our staff treated you exceptionally well. We pride ourselves on giving our guest the best service. We dont want you to feel like guests here at the Doubletree hotel. We want you to feel like this is your home away from home so we will do our very best to accomodate your needs. I hope you come back and visit with us soon. Thank you
Richland, United States
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This hotel appears 2b taking advantage of being near UAB by charging extravagant $$ for a SMALL POOR CLASS rooms There wasn't a fridge or even a microwave. We would have been charged an add'l $9.95 for internet! We were told a lie about the microwave - they said it wasn't allowed due2 being a medical district. We went 2 UAB townhouses & had ALL these the x nite! Will NEVER say @ DOUBLETREE in B'ham again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello,
I am Michelle Edwards, guest service manager with the Doubletree Hotel in Birmingham, Al. I apologize about your stay not being exceptional. We do have refridgerators available upon request and delivered to your room complimentary. We have a microwave located on the lobby level for all of our guest to utilize at their convenience 24 hours a day. I apologize about the miscommunication concerning why we dont have microwaves in all of our rooms. If you contact me I will be more than happy to explain in further detail. I would like to take this opportunity to invite you back to the hotel and please contact me personally so that I may help make your stay even more enjoyable. Thank you
Newark, United States
Reviewed 18 December 2013

staff were very helpful and pleasant. i had been traveling for many days and staying in a differnet hotel each night. so when i left to attend a business dinner and left my room card in the room and i couldn't remember my room number upon returning; the staff were understanding and helpful and even offered me another warm cookie.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

medwards1978, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Hello,
My name is Michelle Edwards, guest service manager at the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham, Al. Thank you so much for being our guest and I am so excited to hear that our staff was wonderful to you. We pride ourselves on giving the best customer service and being the best we can towards our guests. Thank you for being our guests.
Jacksonville, United States
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I arrived late and had to leave early, but staff was very friendly and offered suggestions where to get something to eat as the dining room was already closed. The warm cookie and bottle of water did wonders to tide me over until breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Hello,
My name is Michelle Edwards, guest service manager at the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham, Al. It is a joy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed our Doubletree cookie. We love to greet our guest with a warm Doubletree cookie when arriving to the hotel. And as our guest, you may come to the front desk and receive another during your stay. I hope you come and visit with us. Thank you
PENFIELD
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The hotel was OK. Nothing spectacular but it did suite my needs for business and sleep. Unfortunately, the pool was closed for the season and it wouldn't have mattered anyway because of the rainy and cold weather. The staff was friendly and helpful. to. It's in a very nice location of the city.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Hello,
My name is Michelle Edwards, guest service manager at the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham, Al. We appreciate your feedback and you being our guests. I am glad to know the staff was great to you and we were able to accomodate your needs. I hope you come and visit with us again. Thank you