“Kind, competent and helpful staff”

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #30 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Kind, competent and helpful staff”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

The hotel and its rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was very helpful. While using the business center staff member Carolyn Todd helped me with supplies and was as sweet as can be. With staff like her I would definitely stay and do business at the hotel again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I love the Sheraton Birmingham for the Wonder staff like Kenya, Ms. B (Barbra) and Adonis. They gave us a great room on the 16th floor with breakfast in the Atrium and a late checkout of 2pm so, that we could take the tour of the old downtown church with Red Doors/ Bell tower.
The Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed is Simply the Best bed ever next to that of their sister the Westin Heavenly Bed! Our Key did not work when we returned, but the hotel Security was up there in a flash and he was very nice, I wish I could remember his name. Over all I have stayed here in the past and my partner and I will return. This was our January 11th & 14th birthday get away. Thank you all for everything! David-Michael & John

Room Tip: The Higher the better!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My son and I just spent three nights here. Self parking is simple enough and plentiful but a bit of a haul. We were in room 433 in the Tower. Worst view EVER, but it wasn't that huge of a deal. The toilet kept deciding not to flush so we had to call the desk each time. They sent someone pretty quickly each time. The heated pool was ICE COLD the first day so I called to complain. The engineer came and said it was 78 degrees and told me they'd had to drain the pool and clean it so that's why it was so cold and that it should be warmer by the next night. The next night my son said it was warmer, but all the adults disagreed. It was freezing cold in he pool room too. While we were in there the same engineer walked in and recognized me. He came over and asked me if it was better that night which I thought was nice (I think his name was Daniel). The pool and hot tub were both pretty murky. My son's face and eyes were red, splotchy, puffy and itchy from too many chemicals, and he was afraid to swim again the next day not to mention in a lot of pain hitch didn't seem to matter to the staff which othered me a lot. Overall the hotel was okay for what I paid ($99 per night plus taxes plus $12 per day for in/out self parking) . Certain things were total rip offs/ridiculous - breakfast at $21 (refused to do it), video games which ate quarters (and they didn't care), inability to get change for games, lack of knowledge by front desk staff and concierge staff of the area, overpriced gift shop (but lovely, honest employee). I *might* stay here again for the right rate, but now that I know what other hotels are nearby I might try somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: I might ask for an Atrium room next time.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MOChick72
Alabama
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed at the sheraton for a recent play at BJCC. We were pleased with the location but not impressed with the overall stay. Average accommodations but fairly pricey for Birmingham.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We continued to hear from locals how we were smart to choose the newly renovated Sheraton and that it was the best choice in town. We even got the "All Stars stay here when they are in Birmingham". Well, on behalf of all of the stars and the "lucky" past and future guests - Don't expect much.

This is basically like one of those old Embassy Suites with the rooms overlooking the atrium. The rooms were updated most likely with only a new bed and tv. The bathrooms are not updated. Standard Sheraton features, with the highlight always of small towels and no fan in bathroom.

Highlight--- the hotel offers shuttle service to the local downtown area restaurants/bars. HOWEVER, they sometimes overpromise and leave their guests behind. We had the pleasure of the complimentary drop off at a local restaurant - only to be told at the late hour of 8:15 that the driver would not be making it by that restaurant anymore that evening for pick up. Not a big deal to get a cab, but this is Birmingham and frankly the cab drivers are not exactly growing on trees nor customer friendly.

Room Tip: Make your stay as short as possible - good restaurants however!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I had dinner at the restaurant on the second floor and had the pleasure of having Carolyn Todd as our server. She was so pleasant and accommodating that it made our meal so much better. The food was delicious with a good variety, but it was the service of Carolyn & all the other staff that would definetely bring me back. Thanks again Ad keep up the good work!

• Stayed January 2012
Troy, Alabama
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We are big fans of the Starwood chain, but we had a horrible experience at this particular Sheraton. The hotel is structured so that all noise from the lobby goes straight up to people on all floors. (We were on the 15th floor and could here people yelling all night.) Pool was closed while we visited and the parking lot is quite inconvenient.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank 922ScottB77
Garfield C, Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
Dear valued Customer

We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to write your review of your experiences at the Sheraton Birmingham. We value feedback from our guests as we see feedback as a way to assist us in improving our service. We apologize for the noise that you experienced from the Atrium lobby while you were attempting to rest in your sleeping room. You are correct, a proton of our hotel's sleeping rooms (the atrium side) are open to the atrium lobby, where loud sounds from the lobby can travel upward.

It is customary for our security and safety team to patrol all areas of the hotel to ensure that late night party goers do keep their volume to an acceptable level. once again, we sincerely apologize for any noise inconvenience you experienced while here. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Birmingham in the near future. We are eager to demonstrate that we can and will ensure that you receive a restful night’s sleep.