“Comfortable hotel, great bar, friendly staff”

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #32 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Comfortable hotel, great bar, friendly staff”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stayed here for a few days while in town for business. The rooms are standard for a Sheraton hotel, and the property is nice and well maintained overall. The only thing I was upset with was the lack of restaurants in walking distance, though the hotel offers a shuttle to mitigate this.

The hotel's bar, casey's, was just the cure my boring business trip required. It was probably the most active and busy hotel bar I have ever seen, even though I was there on off nights (Tues & Weds). Additionally, the bartenders and waiters were interesting people and fun to talk to. I never expected to find an Australian expat (Jim) serving up good beer and good conversation at a hotel in the middle of Birmingham, Alabama; what a pleasant surprise!

If you visit Birmingham, this is a good place to stay. If you do stay here, definitely hit the bar and strike up a conversation with Jim!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
Reviewed 6 February 2012

When I arrived, I remembered that I had stayed at this hotel for a conference 18 years ago! Happy to say, many updates since that time (lobby, rooms, etc..). The room was comfortable, and I had a nice view (though not much to see). I forgot that due to the structure of the building, noise from the lobby floats up to you even on the highest floor. Fortunately, people retired at a decent hour. The staff were extremely helpful, particularly, Carey, a bellman who provided assistance with a lot of boxes I had. They did charge an excessive amount for storage, however. If I ever return to the area, I doubt that I would stay here, however, primarily because I like to walk to nice restaurants and other places of interest which are in short supply near this property.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Stayed here for the umpteenth time for a conference. As always, being connected to the Civic Center by sky bridge is the ultimate convenience. The rooms are very comfortable and the lobby bar is relaxing. The only criticisms I really have are: 1) that there were no drawers in the room -- no dresser, no chest, only a large tv console with shelves; 2) no convenient electric plugs for cell phones, etc., and 3) no in room wifi. Otherwise, a nice trip, as business trips go.

• Stayed January 2012
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Hotel is big and an atrium type of hotel, so if you want everyone to know your business, keep the blinds open.

Staff was helpful and greeted us including the manager on duty. Biggest disappointment, being charged a grip to park a car.

Room Tip: try for an outside room that looks outside of the atruim
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 January 2012

The hotel and its rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was very helpful. While using the business center staff member Carolyn Todd helped me with supplies and was as sweet as can be. With staff like her I would definitely stay and do business at the hotel again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I love the Sheraton Birmingham for the Wonder staff like Kenya, Ms. B (Barbra) and Adonis. They gave us a great room on the 16th floor with breakfast in the Atrium and a late checkout of 2pm so, that we could take the tour of the old downtown church with Red Doors/ Bell tower.
The Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed is Simply the Best bed ever next to that of their sister the Westin Heavenly Bed! Our Key did not work when we returned, but the hotel Security was up there in a flash and he was very nice, I wish I could remember his name. Over all I have stayed here in the past and my partner and I will return. This was our January 11th & 14th birthday get away. Thank you all for everything! David-Michael & John

Room Tip: The Higher the better!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My son and I just spent three nights here. Self parking is simple enough and plentiful but a bit of a haul. We were in room 433 in the Tower. Worst view EVER, but it wasn't that huge of a deal. The toilet kept deciding not to flush so we had to call the desk each time. They sent someone pretty quickly each time. The heated pool was ICE COLD the first day so I called to complain. The engineer came and said it was 78 degrees and told me they'd had to drain the pool and clean it so that's why it was so cold and that it should be warmer by the next night. The next night my son said it was warmer, but all the adults disagreed. It was freezing cold in he pool room too. While we were in there the same engineer walked in and recognized me. He came over and asked me if it was better that night which I thought was nice (I think his name was Daniel). The pool and hot tub were both pretty murky. My son's face and eyes were red, splotchy, puffy and itchy from too many chemicals, and he was afraid to swim again the next day not to mention in a lot of pain hitch didn't seem to matter to the staff which othered me a lot. Overall the hotel was okay for what I paid ($99 per night plus taxes plus $12 per day for in/out self parking) . Certain things were total rip offs/ridiculous - breakfast at $21 (refused to do it), video games which ate quarters (and they didn't care), inability to get change for games, lack of knowledge by front desk staff and concierge staff of the area, overpriced gift shop (but lovely, honest employee). I *might* stay here again for the right rate, but now that I know what other hotels are nearby I might try somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: I might ask for an Atrium room next time.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family