“The Club Lounge”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Montgomery, Alabama
“The Club Lounge”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The Club Lounge had wonderful, fast and great service!!!! The nice kind host Mrs. Carolyn was very helpful and was able to answer any questions that I had!!! I was in town for the Magic City Classic Weekend!! This was a great choice to join the club lounge on the 17th Floor! The Club Lounge was clean, bright and the food was 5 star tasting!!! I will be back next year !!!

Thanks,
Classic ASU Student!!
Rock-on!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank willie4413
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear willie4413,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us. Guest satisfaction is our number one goal and there is nothing better than achieving that! Your kind words regarding the friendly service of our staff are greatly appreciated. We were so proud to acknowledge Carolyn for her excellent service. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Gonzales, United States
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We arrived at this hotel to attend a Women's Travel show at the Convention Center next door. We were expecting a package that we needed for the show. The front desk was not able to find the package even though we had verification that it had been received by the hotel. We were very frustrated by this and determined to find it. We were assisted in our hunt by Thomas Tolliver. He was relentless in his search and even hosted us for dinner and drinks while he searched for our package. Thomas was successful after a 7 hour hunt and it is hard to admit, but had my office marked it properly it would not have been such a challenge. My thanks to Thomas and all the others at the Sheraton for all their hard work and help in locating this package. The hotel experience was a great one that I will not forget. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Great service, hospitality and great customer service.

Room Tip: I am a light sleeper. If you are, ask to be placed away from the interstate.
1 Thank Sharon S
Dear Sharon S,

It sounds like you had such a memorable stay with us. Your kind words regarding the friendly service of our staff are greatly appreciated and we look forward to sharing them with our team, especially Tom!

We hope to see you soon!

Warm Regards
Brentwood, TN
Reviewed 14 October 2013

First, all of the staff were great. Very friendly and efficient check in and check out. Could not have been nicer. The attendant in the club lounge made me feel at home. Sheraton should be proud of these folks. Second, the hotel is pretty tired and it looks like they are going through a renovation like most Sheratons these days. Best I can tell the room was redone maybe 5 or more years ago and it shows its age. Just worn out and a bit tattered. Third, the hotel itself is one of those big atrium types that is past its prime. The workout room - while renovated - was too stuffy and unfair conditioned to get a fierce work out in. My recommendation is that you stay and the very new Westin right next door. The rates are comparable, the rooms are a bit smaller but certainly ok, and nothing beats new.

2 Thank Eurorunner
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Eurorunner,

Thank you for the great feedback. There is nothing we love to hear more than our guests loving their experience with us, and we are a bit disappointed that your stay seemed tolerable. Yet, we are happy our staff met all your needs during your stay and made you feel at home! We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Hello...my name is Cynthia Nixon..i was in town visiting some relatives and had to make a last minute reservation...check in was a speedy process and I was elated at how friendly everybody was..after settling into my room and making a few phone calls I decided to explore the hotel not knowing it was also connected to a convention center..as I was crossing the street to the convention center I kind of got lost..i ran into an employee whose name is Anisha (hope i spelled it correctly)..she was coming out of a side door and asked could she help..i explained what I was doing and with a smile she asked if I would like a tour...i didn't want to hold her up from doing her job so I told her I would try again later..she explained that she had just clocked out for her lunch break and it would be just fine.. Before I knew it we were on our way..there was the arena,concert hall,exhibition halls,the piazza and she even took the time to show me the new uptown..it was alot for only thirty minutes..she showed me great dose of southern hospitality and I am grateful..please send her my best wishes and let her know I appreciated her taking time out of her day to keep me entertained..i will definitely be back..Cynthia Nixon

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank atrysum
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Ms Carolyn was very helpful for my three kids and I as we walked in 5 minutes past 8 pm from a 6 hour drive. The food was partially put away but Ms Carolyn gladly offered to put food back out and went downstairs for more fruit.As a gold for life member and platinum for many years, situations like this are the reason I remain a spg member.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Greg W
Dear Greg W,

Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program and for writing a review about your stay. The popularity of our frequent traveler program was demonstrated during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels.

Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stayed here for a conference and after reading the reviews was very nervous. I stayed in the Atrium building and it was fine. I heard other rooms were older. The gym was well outfitted but crowded. I was disappointed the pool was not open.

When I made the reservation I was given a club level room and quoted a room rate. The hotel sent the reservation confirmation to my email--it indicted a club level room and did not say anything about other charges. When I checked out I saw on the first receipt I was given that I was charged a higher rate for the room AND there was a separate surcharge for the club level. I didn’t have access to that email and the receptionist was not budging at first. And then she said, "Well, did you use the club lounge." Sure but what does that have to do with you adding it to my bill when an additional charge was not my reservation and the reservation clearly states Club Level and does not have any wording on it saying there would be an additional charge. I told her what the rate was supposed to be from memory. Kind of surprised they didn't have this in their own data!???? She went in the back to talk to a manager and the charges were adjusted. In the meantime my husband found the reservation confirmation and it was still lower. I just decided to forget it.

I would stay here again for a conference but I would bring my reservation and evidence of the quoted rate with me. For the rate they tried to charge me I would have stayed at the Westin—for sure.

Hotel transportation to and from the airport was reliable. It did seem like most hotels provide this though.

I did have conversations with two exceptional employees. A nice doorman who worried about me running on my own after giving me directions and a handyman who walked me to wear the gym was located in an adjoining tower.

Excellent location if you are at a conference using the Convention Hall otherwise on the edge of downtown with few restaurants.

Green Features: You have to indicate before 2 AM if you don't want them to clean your room to get the enviro credit ($5 off each night you stay if they don't clean your room that day).
1 Thank ColoradoLiketoTravel
Dear ColoradoLiketoTravel,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and we are deeply sorry for the lack-luster service you received with the billing process; please understand that this is never our intention.

Your comments will be communicated to the Front Office management team. During the check-in process, every guest should be informed of all charges and fees associated with their stay. We clearly missed the mark on this and we are very sorry about any inconveniences this may have caused.

The time spent writing your review is appreciated and we hope to welcome you back for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Warm Regards
Columbus. Ohio
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I travel for a living, have stayed in Sheratons for years, and honestly do not know how the chain stays in business. Poor service, annoying facilities problems, and management nickel-and-diming guests at every single turn would sink most businesses, especially in recent years. The Birmingham Sheraton took these traits to new lows.

Here's a summary of the end points.
1. When I entered the lobby on a weekday at 5:10 pm, 8 staff were buzzing around the registration desks; ONE was waiting on guests.
2. I was the speaker at a meeting for 200 people at the hotel the next day, and asked for a sleeping room near the meeting room. This is a ballroom and conference center ... and 3 staff members could not find any info in print or in the computer system about the meeting. The sales contact had already left for the day.
3. I finally got my room key 40 minutes after I walked into the lobby.
4. We were told guests couldn’t load their own luggage onto a bell cart and push it through the lobby; bellmen had to do that. Bottom line: 40 minutes for our luggage to reach the room.
5. Self park was $12, valet was $22. We opted for self. But we had lots of stuff to move from the car, we needed a bell cart, and were told that bellmen weren’t allowed to take carts into the self-park garage … so we had to switch to valet service.
6. The hotel charged us $20 to receive 2 FedEx boxes. I’ve NEVER been charged to receive a box!
7. Sheraton has to be one of the last hotel chains still charging for internet access in guest rooms and the meeting room: $9.95 per day!
8. The room was $207; by the time all the extras were added, the price was $275. For that, we got a room that looked into a solid brick wall and the HVAC equipment on the 3d floor roof of a connecting building.
9. The room had thin plastic cups for water and paper cups for coffee.
10. The television didn’t get half the channels listed, the remote didn’t work, a nice young man from engineering brought a new remote and couldn’t get it to work either, and the next morning the sound went out and the pictures were too pixilated to view on the channels we tried to watch.
11. The breakfast menu on our pillow offered a bowl of Wheaties, Cheerios, or Raisin Bran for $9.50; add the 22% service charge, taxes, and $3 delivery charge, and that’s $15 for a bowl of WHEATIES!! The “American breakfast”—2 eggs, bacon, toast, coffee, juice—was over $30 by the time all the extras were added. C’mon, guys. Even the Ritz Carlton charges less than that.
12. Sheraton no longer puts receipts under your door for rapid check-out. You have to stand in line. So add at least 10 minutes to your morning schedule. When it was my turn, I asked for a receipt. The woman working registration told me I couldn’t get it until I checked out and gave her the room key. It was 8:30 a.m., I had a late checkout, and I needed the key to access the room on my midmorning and lunch breaks!
13. The sound box in the meeting room was stored in a tight space under the projector and laptop. The space was enclosed with a taut cloth cover. I needed help adjusting the sound, so a young AV guy arrived. He struggled to get to the control box … and when I suggested he remove the cloth cover, he said he wasn’t allowed to. When I suggested he just put the box on a chair, he said he didn’t think he was allowed to do that either. I finally told him I'd take full responsibility if a manager showed up and complained about how the AV looked.
14. The batteries in the microphone died before the morning break [most hotels load fresh batteries in the morning; they last all day] ... so I shouted to be heard while someone else tracked down the AV guy again.
15. Meanwhile, my meeting coordinator was having his own problems. The printer didn’t work in the business center. And only one person knew the “workaround” for getting things printed.
16. He needed some copies made. Only one person was allowed to make copies.
17. At day’s end, he typically gets a bell cart to take all the boxes and luggage to the car. He was told he couldn’t take a cart to the ballroom—the bellman had to do that—AND the bellman had to stay WITH the cart! And, of course, the car had to come from the valet. So our normal 10-minute end of day turnaround took over 30 minutes at the Sheraton.
18. Oh, one last thing. When I finally got the receipt, it said “Bed and breakfast rate $207.” I asked the woman at registration about it. She looked up our room and said, “Well, yes, breakfast came with your room.” WHAT??? No one had said a word about that when I checked in—no vouchers, no coupons, no notice of any kind. And, of course, by the time I learned about it, I had no time to sit and eat.
19. Are you getting the picture here? Top down command-control in an organization where those at the “top” seem to have NO idea what kind of experience they’re creating for guests walking into their hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank peebs777
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear peebs777,

I'm terribly sorry to hear about the issues you have highlighted here. This is certainly far below the standard of excellence we pride ourselves on. I can imagine how disappointed you must have been when your expectations were not met. I have used your feedback as a training tool for our teams to ensure immediate improvements are made. We certainly appreciate your loyalty to the Sheraton brand and hope you will give us another opportunity to show you we are much better than this.