“Very large property!!!”

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #31 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a conference. The hotel and rooms were clean and the staff was nice. The tv in our room didn't work and they sent someone to work on it at 10pm. The parking deck was was about a 10 minute walk from the hotel lobby and about 15 minutes from our room. There was also a concert at the BJCC the first night we were there and the middle of the hotel is open. When you come out of your room you are on a walkway that you can look over and see the lobby. After the concert was over there were teenagers running up and down outside our door. They were also yelling at each other from outside our door to kids across the hotel on a lower floor. The sound echoed all through the hotel. This went on until early morning. After the first night when the concert crowd had gone our stay was great. There is also several restaurants close by. The SEC headquarters and the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame is right next door!!! It was a good trip but I think the price of the rooms is a bit high!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Rob3122
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Birmingham

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Average for a major high rise.
Beds and bedding including pillows was the best feature. Everything else if AVERAGE at best and just OK and like most major high rises everything is expensive and nothing (absolutely nothing) is complimentary. From the common forgotten item to the internet it all costs and costs a lot.
Staff is very friendly but Customer Service is SLOW!
Had a major water noise in the bath upon check in. A loud high pitch very obnoxious drilling like sound. Notified front desk and they said someone would be up. An hour later no one came and so I ventured to the front desk to tell them. They said they knew of it and was working on it as they said it was something dealing with a line.
Did some looking around for a few hours and came back to the same noise. Informed front desk again and got the same response as before.
Went to dinner and came back to the room to retire for the evening only to have the same noise still there. Called the front desk yet again and they finally sent someone from Engineering that said they knew of the noise and the only fix was to move me to another room. So I had to repack and move from the 5th floor to the 9th floor. For my unconvinced time and dealing with a terrible noise and move I got a coupon for a free buffet at the Atrium Café. Really????

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Traveler T
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear traveler t,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are disappointed to learn about the issues you encountered during your stay. From a service standpoint, I can assure you that your experience has not been representative of our hotel’s high standards and we sincerely apologize for this. We must also apologize for the inconvenience of our response time.

Your candid comments are constructive and will be used in future training sessions to ensure a situation like this does not occur again.

Thank you again for your review and we are very hopeful of future opportunities to welcome you back to the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Connected to the Birmingham Convention Center, one might think this hotel would have a better handle on the needs of business travelers. As we stated checking in (a group of 5, in a conference of hundreds!), the Sheraton Birmingham had us worried about billing, attention to detail, and efficiency. Although the front desk staff was great, the reservation department needs some coaching. Common areas all look great, but sleeping rooms and hallways could use some attention -- in my room, the wallpaper was peeling in places. Two restaurant options provided limited menus, unimaginative offerings, and unacceptably slow, inattentive service. Too bad, as the closest non-hotel restaurant is a Subway, thus the Sheraton is missing out on an opportunity to become a dining hotspot. Located in a 17-story atrium, the cafes were frequented by a sparrow trapped inside the building, which was charming -- but also unsafe, unsightly, and in violation of health codes. The only other positive thing I can add is that the beds/bed linens were heavenly.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Pat W
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a show at the convention center. Room was pretty good, beds where comfortable but they seemed to be smaller than regular double beds. Two adults would find them pretty cramped.

Ate at the hotel restaurant a few times and the food and service was great. One night we were late getting dinner and got there just before closing but they stayed late and still served us a full meal. Our server Carolyn was awesome!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tom V

Dear Tom V,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel. We take great pride in the ability to accommodate any guest in any situation. Thank you for mentioning our staff and the quality service you received while in residence. Carolyn and her efforts were communicated to her direct leadership team and she will be recognized for the great experience she provided for you during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel.

Regards

Reviewed 7 November 2013

. . . so you know what you're getting. The room was very comfortable, and the service was friendly. I stayed on a club floor, and the club lounge was a good place to hang out, get some work done, and enjoy the food offered. The hotel itself is not in the center of things, but public transportation (the Dart) is cheap and convenient. I would particularly recommend this hotel to anyone who is attending a function at the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex, which is next door.

Room Tip: Stay on a club floor and take advantage of the breakfasts in the club lounge.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank mwhitespn
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear mwhitespn,

Thank you very much for sharing the things that made your visit at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel exceptional. It is kind words like this that make our staff proud to provide memorable experiences time after time again.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed at the hotel with a friend to attend a concert. Nice stay or so I thought at the time. When we checked out we paid our account,she paid her part with cash and I paid with debit card. When I check my debit account the next day, they had charged me twice for the room. So I called sheraton Birmingham to fix error. They informed me I could get my money back in 3-5 business days. I feel like if they are going to charge you twice you should be able to get YOUR money back. Little quicker!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Dbullock1
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Dbullock1,

I am very sorry you had the experience you did and assure you I have spoken with the necessary department heads to ensure that a situation like this does not occur again. We strive to provide the best customer service experience possible, and although we may have missed the mark this time we hope you will give us an opportunity to show you the experience we are capable of providing our guests.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 26 October 2013

The Club Lounge had wonderful, fast and great service!!!! The nice kind host Mrs. Carolyn was very helpful and was able to answer any questions that I had!!! I was in town for the Magic City Classic Weekend!! This was a great choice to join the club lounge on the 17th Floor! The Club Lounge was clean, bright and the food was 5 star tasting!!! I will be back next year !!!

Thanks,
Classic ASU Student!!
Rock-on!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank willie4413
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear willie4413,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us. Guest satisfaction is our number one goal and there is nothing better than achieving that! Your kind words regarding the friendly service of our staff are greatly appreciated. We were so proud to acknowledge Carolyn for her excellent service. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit!