“Great hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Madison, Georgia
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The people at this hotel could not be nicer or more helpful. The room was nice and comfortable. We were there to go to the Pink concert. I was in a wheelchair so the connecting bridge to the concert hall (BJCC) was great. The self parking is in a garage so there is no need to go out in the weather. Coming back after the concert on of the employees took us aside and took us on the service elevator. Great staff

Room Tip: All seem good. On concert night they do blare music
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank woop9p

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

I have been traveling to BHM every week since last 6 months and wanted to try out this property for a change. The decor of the hotel is quite dated and staff are not too helpful. The rooms felt dirty and the bed sheets were not put on properly. I opted for the green choice program, however, it has more than 8 weeks now and they have still not credited the points I had accrued to my account. When I emailed them about this, they had a pretty standard response, they would forward my email to housekeeping and I would get my points but they have done nothing about it.

I am a SPG platinum elite member and have always received good service from other SPG properties. This hotel does not care and I am never giving them my business again. Hope you guys get your act together.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank excalibur0615
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My lord, this is really one of the worst visits, and the nights still young. I just don't even know how or where to begin. Maybe from the arrival. Yes, we arrive by bus and the front landing is more than large enough to accommodate a bus to unload 40 people and all of there bags and still not inconvenience anyone else. But no, they insisted that we back up and unload on the street. Meanwhile they had there three mini busses and vans just sitting there, for over an hour. So who where we bothering, the valet? Worse yet, did anyone from the hotel offer any help with there bags, no. From that point on, i realized that the most important people where the employees.
Went to the lounge and had a couple of drinks, when I was approached that they where changing shifts and asked if I would mind closing my check. They would of course open up another check. Are you for real! This is not proper, polite by any means. So I know I'll find someplace outside of the hotel for breakfast, not wasting my money here. I'm sure I can be treated better than that at just about any fast food establishment, for much less money.
So I go to my room, and of course its not cool enough. But the sign says it will cool/heat within about 15 minutes. Some kind of energy efficient system. I can tell you it's energy efficient, since my room never did cool. Called the front desk about a fan since my room won't cool. "I'm sorry sir, but we don't have any fans". So I went to the store got me a fan, so that I may be able to sleep. Now I'm not saying my room was a little warm, I was sweating. The fan made it possible for me to get some sleep, finally.
Other comments, the internet was a good service. Probably because most people won't use it as there is a fee. The room was a pretty standard room, bathroom a little small. I must say that at least they had plenty of lights in the room, so it didn't seem dark.The property is very large and you could possible have to walk quite a distance to your room. So be prepared.
I want to make sure that everyone understands. I'm not the person that spends 10 days a year, even 30 days a year, even 90 days a year in hotels. I spend more than 300 nights per year, every year in a hotel. I'm used to many things, good and bad, I realize when a hotel is excellent and when a hotel needs to step back and take a look at the complaints, not make excuses for them. Unless that is truly how you feel. So if you really feel that this is a good value for the area, then maybe you should stay at another hotel yourself.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank dkrug10042
Florence, Alabama
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Let's just be honest; I'm the kind of guy that prefers getting the most out of every dollar I spend. 2/5 based solely on spending too much for getting too little.

I can't imagine a life where this hotel is a good deal. I mean, if $10/day for internet and $12/day for parking is chump change for you, this hotel will work wonders for your life: the lobby/staff/etc. are all snazzy and nice. The beds are soft. The rooms are open (though the bathroom is a bit small [btw, new granite shower/sink with '90s era wallpaper is a little weird]). Also, no need to use the workout room; you will get plenty of exercise walking to the car - unless of course you'd prefer valet, which is an option (again, it's just chump change... right?)

For the price, I'd stay somewhere less "classy" so as to not pay extra for parking/valet/internet/bottled water/etc.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James T
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Jn T,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel. I would like to extend my most sincere apology to you for the aspects of your stay that we did not meet your expectations. We are disappointed to read about your experience regarding the Internet and parking fees. However, we believe the rates are competitive in the area. As an option, we are proud to offer complimentary Wi-Fi service in the communal areas.

Thank you for taking the time to write your concerns. Your comments are appreciated and we look forward to hosting you again in the future. However, if your travels take you somewhere else we wish you well with the hopes to welcome you back.

Athens
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for a conference. It was nice and convenient. Room was average, food from the restaurants in the hotel were also average. It was close to restaurants downtown. Hotel staff was very nice and helpful.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ARoweAthens
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear ARoweAthens,

I would like to thank you for your recent stay and for your candid comments. Your comments are constructive and we will find them useful during future planning. We hope for another opportunity to demonstrate that we're more than just an average hotel by exceeding your expectations.

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a conference. The hotel and rooms were clean and the staff was nice. The tv in our room didn't work and they sent someone to work on it at 10pm. The parking deck was was about a 10 minute walk from the hotel lobby and about 15 minutes from our room. There was also a concert at the BJCC the first night we were there and the middle of the hotel is open. When you come out of your room you are on a walkway that you can look over and see the lobby. After the concert was over there were teenagers running up and down outside our door. They were also yelling at each other from outside our door to kids across the hotel on a lower floor. The sound echoed all through the hotel. This went on until early morning. After the first night when the concert crowd had gone our stay was great. There is also several restaurants close by. The SEC headquarters and the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame is right next door!!! It was a good trip but I think the price of the rooms is a bit high!!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Rob3122
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Average for a major high rise.
Beds and bedding including pillows was the best feature. Everything else if AVERAGE at best and just OK and like most major high rises everything is expensive and nothing (absolutely nothing) is complimentary. From the common forgotten item to the internet it all costs and costs a lot.
Staff is very friendly but Customer Service is SLOW!
Had a major water noise in the bath upon check in. A loud high pitch very obnoxious drilling like sound. Notified front desk and they said someone would be up. An hour later no one came and so I ventured to the front desk to tell them. They said they knew of it and was working on it as they said it was something dealing with a line.
Did some looking around for a few hours and came back to the same noise. Informed front desk again and got the same response as before.
Went to dinner and came back to the room to retire for the evening only to have the same noise still there. Called the front desk yet again and they finally sent someone from Engineering that said they knew of the noise and the only fix was to move me to another room. So I had to repack and move from the 5th floor to the 9th floor. For my unconvinced time and dealing with a terrible noise and move I got a coupon for a free buffet at the Atrium Café. Really????

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Traveler T
Dear traveler t,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are disappointed to learn about the issues you encountered during your stay. From a service standpoint, I can assure you that your experience has not been representative of our hotel’s high standards and we sincerely apologize for this. We must also apologize for the inconvenience of our response time.

Your candid comments are constructive and will be used in future training sessions to ensure a situation like this does not occur again.

Thank you again for your review and we are very hopeful of future opportunities to welcome you back to the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.