“Go for Carolyn!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Go for Carolyn!”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband and I were so appreciative of the service we received from Carolyn in the Atrium restaurant. It has been a long time since I have been so well taken care of by a server! Also, the food was delicious, and we thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere. I hope that business brings me to this hotel again, simply so that I can enjoy brunch at the Atrium again--and of course, I will request Carolyn!

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My overall experience with the hotel staff was excellent. In particular, I had a most enjoyable experience at breakfast. My server was Carolyn and she epitomizes outstanding customer service delivered with a most charming Southern personality.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I stayed over night for the Pink concert. The hotel is an amazing location. However, location is where it stopped for me. I expect a lot from the Sheraton brand, and especially for the price that we paid for the room. When getting off the lifts and walking to the room, the hotel showed its age. The carpets were stained. The air conditioner sensor never worked properly in my room and and it never did cool properly. The bed was comfortable, but I would not say that the room was the cleanest in the world. The hotels website advertised that the pool was closed, yet it seemed open to me. When I got off the lift to my room on the 12th floor there was a strong oder of bad Chinese Food and dog. While walking to and from the room we could hear dogs barking. The ceiling (popcorn) was peeling, the walls were in a general state of disrepair, and the hotel lived up more to what I would have expected from a Days Inn than a Sheraton. After walking into the room, the furniture was worn, and sparse. The bathtub had decent pressure, but it took a bit to figure out turning on the shower (of course, that could have been because of the time of night I was taking a shower as well) It was also almost next to impossible to find the guide to the local TV channels.

With that said. The staff for the most part was very nice. Check in was easy and check out was just about as easy. One thing is for sure, you cannot argue with the location if attending an event at the BJCC. This was my first time in Birmingham, and if the price were right, maybe I would consider staying at this property again, however, it would really have to be a good rate for me to consider it. There are too many hotels in the vicinity including a Westin just as easily accessible. I hope the hotel can consider my comments as constructive and not necessarily negative, as this hotel has amazing potential, and as I said, the location is excellent, especially if attending an event - but it was far from having lived up to the expectations that I had, and have in many ways made me reconsider the Sheraton brand for future travel.

Room Tip: Perhaps the atrium rooms are nicer, the tower was in sad shape.
Green Features: Not renovating or updating or the general lack of repair seems to be one way. Not to mention that if you want a motion sensor AC unit, perhaps actually having the AC Unit working instead of needlessly running would be a start.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joshinnorthGA
Madison, Georgia
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The people at this hotel could not be nicer or more helpful. The room was nice and comfortable. We were there to go to the Pink concert. I was in a wheelchair so the connecting bridge to the concert hall (BJCC) was great. The self parking is in a garage so there is no need to go out in the weather. Coming back after the concert on of the employees took us aside and took us on the service elevator. Great staff

Room Tip: All seem good. On concert night they do blare music
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank woop9p
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

I have been traveling to BHM every week since last 6 months and wanted to try out this property for a change. The decor of the hotel is quite dated and staff are not too helpful. The rooms felt dirty and the bed sheets were not put on properly. I opted for the green choice program, however, it has more than 8 weeks now and they have still not credited the points I had accrued to my account. When I emailed them about this, they had a pretty standard response, they would forward my email to housekeeping and I would get my points but they have done nothing about it.

I am a SPG platinum elite member and have always received good service from other SPG properties. This hotel does not care and I am never giving them my business again. Hope you guys get your act together.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank excalibur0615
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My lord, this is really one of the worst visits, and the nights still young. I just don't even know how or where to begin. Maybe from the arrival. Yes, we arrive by bus and the front landing is more than large enough to accommodate a bus to unload 40 people and all of there bags and still not inconvenience anyone else. But no, they insisted that we back up and unload on the street. Meanwhile they had there three mini busses and vans just sitting there, for over an hour. So who where we bothering, the valet? Worse yet, did anyone from the hotel offer any help with there bags, no. From that point on, i realized that the most important people where the employees.
Went to the lounge and had a couple of drinks, when I was approached that they where changing shifts and asked if I would mind closing my check. They would of course open up another check. Are you for real! This is not proper, polite by any means. So I know I'll find someplace outside of the hotel for breakfast, not wasting my money here. I'm sure I can be treated better than that at just about any fast food establishment, for much less money.
So I go to my room, and of course its not cool enough. But the sign says it will cool/heat within about 15 minutes. Some kind of energy efficient system. I can tell you it's energy efficient, since my room never did cool. Called the front desk about a fan since my room won't cool. "I'm sorry sir, but we don't have any fans". So I went to the store got me a fan, so that I may be able to sleep. Now I'm not saying my room was a little warm, I was sweating. The fan made it possible for me to get some sleep, finally.
Other comments, the internet was a good service. Probably because most people won't use it as there is a fee. The room was a pretty standard room, bathroom a little small. I must say that at least they had plenty of lights in the room, so it didn't seem dark.The property is very large and you could possible have to walk quite a distance to your room. So be prepared.
I want to make sure that everyone understands. I'm not the person that spends 10 days a year, even 30 days a year, even 90 days a year in hotels. I spend more than 300 nights per year, every year in a hotel. I'm used to many things, good and bad, I realize when a hotel is excellent and when a hotel needs to step back and take a look at the complaints, not make excuses for them. Unless that is truly how you feel. So if you really feel that this is a good value for the area, then maybe you should stay at another hotel yourself.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank dkrug10042
Florence, Alabama
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Let's just be honest; I'm the kind of guy that prefers getting the most out of every dollar I spend. 2/5 based solely on spending too much for getting too little.

I can't imagine a life where this hotel is a good deal. I mean, if $10/day for internet and $12/day for parking is chump change for you, this hotel will work wonders for your life: the lobby/staff/etc. are all snazzy and nice. The beds are soft. The rooms are open (though the bathroom is a bit small [btw, new granite shower/sink with '90s era wallpaper is a little weird]). Also, no need to use the workout room; you will get plenty of exercise walking to the car - unless of course you'd prefer valet, which is an option (again, it's just chump change... right?)

For the price, I'd stay somewhere less "classy" so as to not pay extra for parking/valet/internet/bottled water/etc.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James T
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Jn T,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel. I would like to extend my most sincere apology to you for the aspects of your stay that we did not meet your expectations. We are disappointed to read about your experience regarding the Internet and parking fees. However, we believe the rates are competitive in the area. As an option, we are proud to offer complimentary Wi-Fi service in the communal areas.

Thank you for taking the time to write your concerns. Your comments are appreciated and we look forward to hosting you again in the future. However, if your travels take you somewhere else we wish you well with the hopes to welcome you back.

Warmest Regards