“Great Stay”

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #35 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed at the Sheraton Birmingham for a weekend conference. Check-in process went very smoothly. Rooms were very clean and quiet. There is not much in the immediate area to see and do, but if you have a mode of transportation there is plenty of restaurants not too far away as I do not recommend walking in Birmingham.

Room Tip: I had an atrium room and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Anna P
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Anna P,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel . We really appreciate your comments and are glad you had a great stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Angelica

Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed 26 February 2014

This is a really nice hotel. The staff is very considerate and accommodating. The location next to the convention center is great and the downtown location is cleaned up from years past. We have stayed there a few times over the past two decades. The hotel is very well kept and up to date. The only downfall is the lack of good restaurants. The atrium allows for a bar location and a hotel/motel restaurant that is sub standard. Subway is located on the front of the hotel and is probably better food than the restaurant(s). Best suggestion is to jump over to the neighboring hotel for a bite to eat or drive out. Another downfall is the parking in the high rise garage and the skywalk works well for hotel access.

Overall the hotel itself is secure and safe. There is a bit of noise if the atrium has a large function gathering below.

I would suggest this to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We recently stayed at the Sheraton for the first time. It was an awesome experience. The upgrade to the Club Level was worth every penny. The customer service at the front desk was great. Lakisha Moore was pleasant and answered all our questions. She actually made me feel "important".

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Club Level.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed here for one night, booked and paid for by Southwest when a flight delay meant I would not be able to get home.

Check in was quick and courteous. My room was in the Atrium section, on the 10th floor. I had a beautiful view of downtown. The room was tastefully decorated, very spacious and the bedding was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was clean and modern. I called the front desk a couple of times with questions and both times I was greeted by name, and my questions were answered politely. I can't comment on the value for money as I didn't pay, but the amenities and service were excellent for my stay.

As other reviewers have mentioned, you can hear noise from the Atrium cafe or bar, not sure where it came from really, but it did not prevent me from falling asleep. Could be an issue for light sleepers.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank momof4Wi
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Simply not up to normal Sheraton standards. Room was ok (I believe I was in an SPG Preferred room), everything else was miserable. For example: noise from atrium permeates everywhere, slow service, 30 minute wait for cab, bad water pressure, little hot water, toilet paper not refilled, shampoo different colors from day to day? It was odd how bad this was. The only positive was the friendly service. I'll stay somewhere else on my next visit to Birmingham.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rebbones
Reviewed 21 February 2014

2 of us traveled to Birmingham for the marathon and suffered 3 horrible nights of sleep due to the noise in the hotel, horrible heating/cooling and minimal hot water in the shower.

We spent our first night in a room in the atrium and I could not even sleep with the noise from downstairs. We could hear every fork hitting the plate, laughter and chatter coming up from the lobby. Our room was adjoining with another guest who had a young child that was up screaming and crying at 5am - sounded like the kid was in my room. The shower was COLD, barely any water pressure so we asked for a change of room. They gave us a very hard time about changing a room saying that we paid extra for a room with a balcony (we didn't and we didn't even have a balcony). They also claimed we paid extra for a handicapped room (we didn't and we have no need for this room type).

After moving to another room which was smaller and still experienced the same water pressure and lack of heat. The heating/cooling system was horrible. would blow freezing cold air on 68 and heat on 69 I was up several times each night trying to adjust.

The pool was very nice looking but FREEZING. Couldn't even get in past my calves, even children were jumping in and right out again. Just way too cold to even enjoy. We also definitely could have used a hot tub for after race - especially since the water temp in the shower was so cold.

Disappointing for a Sheraton - really expected more. When you pay for Sheraton you expect a good night sleep and excellent service. We were very disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay away from the atrium - TOO LOUD. Be prepared for a longer walk for tower rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lilemoevie
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Before I even checked in there were billing issues and my credit card was charged 3 times for a single night stay. After dealing with the accounting department and getting a fix for that issue. I arrived for the stay. Paid 160.00+ with no free WiFi and parking 8.00 a day in a parking desk about 1/2 mile away. WIFI was 9.95 for 24 hours for a slow connection. (Should have tethered off my smartphone). There was a COMIC CON convention in town and the noise from the courtyard was heard for most of the evening and part of the night. The rooms are arranged in a balcony setting overlooking a grand courtyard. This was my first and last trip to Birmingham AL. I chose this hotel for distance to race start/finish. Also, if you are host hotel for a marathon, at least offer the runners late checkout options. Many will pay an extra amount for a hot shower before driving long distances or flying back home. Since I was by myself, I had plenty of room and the mattresses/linen were OK and no cleanliness issues. I will not be going back to this hotel since many other options exist

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo