“housekeeping is disappointing”

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #33 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Although our room had a great balcony view and the beds slept great, housekeeping was disappointing. The first night I called for an extra set of towels (4 guests in room, only towels for 3) and they never arrived. At the end of a long day of meetings we returned to the room to discover housekeeping had never come by to clean. I had to call again. Thankfully we received clean towels, but I had to pick up all the dirty towels to give to the man who delivered the clean ones. No one ever came to clean the room, refresh the coffee supplies, etc. The hotel knew that there would be a convention going on (it's located next to the Convention Center) but they seemed unprepared for hundreds of guests. Check in was very slow. Won't pick this place again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear AmyCoveington,

Thank you for writing a review regarding your recent stay. I was very disappointed to hear about the myriad of problems you encountered while staying with us and would like to extend a sincere apology to you. Our veteran hospitality staff is very proud of the level of service they provide and I'm truly sorry that this was not the case on your recent visit. I do hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence and show us the service levels we're known for.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We traveled with a large school group. Check in took 5 hours! Refrigerators and microwaves were removed from our rooms and were available to us for a $25 fee EACH! Checkout was terrible! Trying to get thousands and students and chaperones out by 9:30 am and they decided that one elevator needed ceramic tile installed that day. I did have a great experience with a gentleman that worked there. After I finally made it to ground level, he asked me if I needed assistance. He carried my bags to the car and even packed my car for me! There was no complementary breakfast and a bowl of cereal costed $9, an omelet $12 and stack of pancakes $14.

Room Tip: make sure you have a refrigerator and microwave
1  Thank SuZy P
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear SuZy P

Thank you, first and foremost, for your feedback and for taking the time to write us and share the details of what you have experienced during your stay. We take all guest communication very seriously and greatly appreciate receiving detailed comments such as yours so that management is aware, our staff is informed and we may resolve any and all issues as soon as possible.
Please be assured that this is not reflective of the service level that we strive to provide and your feedback has been shared with our management team so that they can highlight the concerns with our associates to prevent a similar occurrence from happening in the future.

Again, thank you for your sincere feedback which assists us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service. We hope that we might have an opportunity to make this experience up to you so that you have no reservations to stay with us again in the future.

Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel and there was a problem with my rewards account. Lakisha Moore was very helpful in addressing the issue and providing help that ultimately resolved the issue. Thank you Lakisha. I will happily return to your hotel!

Dear budhakiki,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this fantastic review. There is nothing we love to hear more than our guests loving their service and experience with us! Guest satisfaction is our number one goal and there is nothing better than achieving that! It is so wonderful to hear that Lakisha was able to make your stay with us more enjoyable! Our staff truly cares for our guests and we love to see that shine through. Your kind words regarding the friendly service of our staff are greatly appreciated and we look forward to sharing them with our team.

We are so happy to hear you will be back for another stay in the future!

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I recently visited the Sheraton Birmingham. Before I made it to my room, I was highly impressed with Ms. Lakenya Thomas who checked me in at the customer service desk. I found her to be extremely professional, positive attitude, and presented an outstanding appearance in her uniform. Ms. Thomas was very detail in providing the necessary information to ensure my stay an enjoyable one. As a retired Army Sergeant Major, I would definitely employ her in a manager position upon receiving supervisory training. She indeed fits the ticket.

Ms. Lakenya Thomas sets the example for other employees and is definitely at the highest level of professionalism. Her duty performance displays a positive impact towards the Sheraton's reputation.

Dear Kevin C.,

Thank you for submitting this glowing review. Your kind words regarding the friendly check in service of our staff are greatly appreciated and that you enjoyed memorable interactions with our associates. It is so wonderful to hear that Lakenya was able to make your stay with us more enjoyable!

I will be sure to pass on this awesome review with Lakenya and our management team!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Cosmetically this hotel looks up to date. However, once we got in our room things changed. The room was hot and the a/c never really cooled the room. The bathroom was tiny but updated. However, you had to let the water run for several(Over 5) minutes to get luke warm water. The room walls were very thin and we could hear the television next door most of the night.
On the upside the staff was friendly and attentative. While there was a long wait to check in, complementary lemonade and cheese cake balls were waiting you upon competition.
Overall, kind of pricey for the convenience of staying next to the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Center.

Room Tip: Check the Hyatt next door.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Birmingham and for your feedback. I regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. I am pleased to let you know that we are currently in the process of completely renovating our hotel. We hope to welcome you back soon to experience our new product.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Have stayed in this hotel off an on for over 10yrs. with our Masonic group. And have never had any problems. The staff knows there jobs well. Will be staying again this July and looking forward to meeting the staff and the brothers and sisters in alabama.

Room Tip: I like high rooms because the noise lever is very low.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear Jodie R,

Thank you for your patronage and kind review about our hotel and staff. We are looking foward to welcoming you back in July!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I recently stayed here with my daughters school group for a Beta Convention. You would think this hotel had never had a large group of guests before. We waited 6 hours for rooms that were booked months ago, and management never offered an explanation or any partial refund. We had 4 people in our room and housekeeping only left 2 towels. The front desk staff was rude! I wont be staying here again! Too expensive and no microwave, fridge or wifi? Ridiculous.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank MLM11208
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear MLM11208,

I apologize for all the challenges you had while visiting us recently but thank you for giving us this review so we can address all of your concerns. We are always trying to improve our service and I want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us know what service specifically needs to be improved. On behalf of our team we apologize for your unpleasant experience while staying at the Sheraton Birmingham and would love another chance to show you the experience you deserve.

Angelica.