Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #32 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This behemoth sized complex is convenient to the BJCC where I was attending a show for two days. There is a convenient parking garage attached and you can have in and out privlidges. Note though I was charged for parking when departing the garage. Parking was plentiful even on show days. The garage, the Sheraton, the Westin and the BJCC are all accessable through an elevated walkway(s) from the Sheraton.
Check in was quick and friendly. I was offered an opportunity to pass up room cleaning for points or a voucher. Ichose to be green. It was quite confusing and I thought I was told I would still get towels but never did. I did get the points though!
Plenty of elevators and they were fast for such a large complex. I had a nice room on the 6th floor with a mini deck overlooking the center core. This was one of those holidrome hotels where the rooms open to the center of the complex.
Room was fine although needed more outlets and better placed outlets. Slept well. Did not eat at the hotel but there is a Subway outside and a quick walk takes you to "Uptown" where you will finf upscale places to dine. Hotel is about 15 minutes from airport and I noticed a lot of airplane crews staying at the hotel. Hotel offers shuttle service to the airport. Would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Hello panther61,

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I had a very comfortable stay at this Sheraton location in downtown Birmingham. We were able to check in early to our room on the club level. The breakfast and hors d'oeuvres offered in the club lounge came in handy as we walked back and forth to the nearby Jazz festival. It was nice to have access to the cold beverages, hot drink machine and fresh fruit throughout the day also. The bed was really comfortable and the room was well appointed. I also made use of the gym, pool and sauna during my stay. I would definitely stay at this location again for the festival next year.

Room Tip: The breakfast on the club level was very convenient.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello ItsJustVal,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that it was an enjoyable stay. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have been traveling for many days. When I went down to the restaurant here I expected mediocre food and service. First of all, I can't say enough good about Carolyn who waited on me. She was friendly, attentive and stopped for a few minutes to chat with me. I actually felt welcomed.

I asked the chef to prepare something not on the menu. Tommie prepared the most wonderful dinner for me, no questions asked. I was so surprised that I sent a message into the kitchen to thank him.

The dining experience at the hotel was far superior than I have had in a long while and I travel often.

Thanx to Tommie and Carolyn for making one evening out of my travel week wonderful!

Susan

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed a weekend in April for a volleyball regional championship. The hotel was full of middle school age girls and still it was reasonably quiet. The room was comfortable although the view was of rooftop HVAC units. Food selection is limited. Not much in the way of nearby restaurants. No safe or microwave in the room. There is a microwave in the laundry on the main floor. Because there were so many people there when we went to check out, we turned in our key and they would email the bill. That never happened and when I saw the charges on my credit card, they had over-billed me on the room rate. I've tried unsuccessfully to reach billing so I've filed a dispute with my credit card company. This part has been frustrating because I only get voicemail when I call the hotel billing office and no return call.

The hotel was nice and the burger we got from the bar was good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Arrived in town around 11 and the staff was friendly and knowledgeable of the area. Very nice.
The vending machine's credit card machine wasn't working on our floor but no real complaints. Stuff happens!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brandy222
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Birmingham Sheraton on business. It is located next to the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center and is in a prime location; right off the interstate. It is one of the largest hotels in the state and one of the most recognizable.

My room was on the 10th floor looking out over the interstate. However, you can get a room facing the atrium as well. My room was large and comfortable and included a small fridge.

The hotel includes a large meeting area. I was there for a conference and you can get lost if not careful! One of the best things about the property is there is so much to do without even going outside. The parking garage, the Westin, and the BJCC are all connected. There is also a new area called Uptown that includes dining options such as Todd English P.U.B. Uptown is located closer to the Westin but you can still get there without going out. Dining options inside the Sheraton include The Atrium...located in the atrium!...Casey's Sports Bar for lunch, dinner and drinks and there is also an area in the atrium that serves coffee and bakery items at breakfast.

The service at the Sheraton was great, very friendly and if you are wandering around looking lost they will ask to help you.

Overall, a good location and a good place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Hrpamw
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Hello Hrpamw,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for mentioning our dining facilities and Uptown. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed on the "Club" level for our stay. The carpet and fixtures were worn and showing age, the wallpaper was peeling in places and I have had a bigger bathroom at a Motel 6. The hallway and common areas were HOT. I was pouring sweat by the time I got to the elevator from my room. The AC in the room never got the room cool the entire night. One of the wall light fixtures was broken and when I called to see about moving to another room (it was Memorial Day Weekend the hotel was almost empty), I was told moving rooms was against policy until the engineer checked out my report. I asked when the engineer could check out my report and was told an hour to 90 minutes. We couldn't wait because we had dinner reservations. Most of the staff we encountered treated us like they were doing us a favor by allowing us to stay there. So, we got stuck in a room with peeling wallpaper, crappy AC and broken light fixture for our getaway night. All that for $210.00 with taxes and valet. I emailed the management and have not received a response. Thank you for ruining my birthday and wasting my money, Sheraton!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mcdowellmp
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Hello mcdowellmp,

Thank you for review about your recent stay with us. I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. This is not the level of service you should expect when staying here and definitely not the level of service we pride ourselves on. Please connect with me so we may discuss your concerns futher at angelica.thomas@sheraton.com. I look forward to speaking with you.