“Great hotel in a good location in Birmingham.”

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #33 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I can't say anything bad about the hotel. The staff were great, the room was very nice, and it is a good location if you want to walk to the Birmingham Museum of Art and Civil Rights Institute. Parking was either valet ($22) or self park for half the price, which I thought was quite reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Hello ArdyT,

Thank you for your kind review. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I were in Birmingham for son's graduation from culinary school. Sheraton was centrally located and seemed a good choice. It was fire sprinkler convention week and the hotel was full and busy. We arrived about 4 and had a short wait for our room so I went to the bar for a glass of wine and a beer. $18.50 before tip, for house wine and a mid level beer in downtown Birmingham seemed very expensive. Room however was great, even with the view of the interstate. Bed slept well and because it was a hot wire purchase, price was fair for the room. Had to pay every time we left parking lot. In room wi fi was also expensive for a 16 hour stay.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a nice room for a quick stay I would recommend. This would NOT be my choice f...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Here for conference at BJCC (civic center), which made hotel location perfect....there are connections without walking outside. Had family and friends with us, so we saw numerous rooms. Atrium side rooms are older - few with balcony overlook which gives a little extra space. Tower side rooms newer, but the suite bathroom was smaller than our older double room. Special note for families - no suites with more than 1 king bed. Not even pull out sofas. Cannot get more than 1 cot either due to fire codes....so 2 kids = 2 double standard room.

Bellman and concierge lounge staff exceptional, but otherwise not typical Sheraton quality. Check-in took 40 minutes for various issues.

Concierge lounge open 24/7 for drinks, nice plus to be open on weekends. Includes breakfast and afternoon appetizers.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank macie106

Hello macie106,

Thank you for your review. I apologize for any inconvenience you encountered during your stay with us. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton in Birmingham for business. When I arrived, I saw that there were some sort of family reunions going on with lots of children. Because I work in my room in between and after meetings I thought it best to ask for an upgrade to conceirge level. BIG MISTAKE! The hotel is an atrium style for that level. Rooms are roomy and very clean. HOWEVER, all noise travels up that atrium. I could hear kids screaming and crowd noise until late at night. NO SLEEP! But wait! it gets worse! My last day there I was getting ready to do a WebEx with a client before I left for the airport and just as my meeting was starting (2:30pm CST) that is when the SINGERS started in the restaurant below my room. It sound like they were in the room WITH ME. Now how am I going to explain to my customer that I am not working FROM A BAR?

Next the concierge lounge was lovely, but the food at breakfast and cocktail time was awful and minimal. The attendant didn't know anything.....at all! What good was she?

I will NEVER stay there again!

Room Tip: do not stay in the atrium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! very very very very very loud!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Nancy B,

First, I would like to thank you for taking out the time to provide us with your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room. However; I do apologize for the noise that had a negative impact on your stay. We would like invite you back to our property and be given the opportunity to change your perception of the Sheraton Birmingham. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Friendly and helpful staff. The green program discount for housekeeping services was nice. The kids really enjoyed the indoor pool facilities. Convenient business center with printer next to check in desk. Our only complaint would be that there wasn't a microwave in the room.

Room Tip: The hotel offers a $12 deal to park in the neighboring parking garage, but their plan is only benefi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hello Don225,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay with us! I am happy to hear that you and your kids had an enjoyable stay. Although we do not have microwaves in the rooms, we do have microwaves upon request. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

After being transferred around at least 4 to 5 times I was finally connected to Alca(I might be spelling incorrectly she was in reservations she instantly made me feel better after being frustrated. I had nearly given up I had to just make a simple reservation and needed to know room types but no one seemed to care and they kept transferring please commend her on exceptional customer service it is due to these individuals we as guest feel coming back again and again

Jia

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
sheswithstarwood, Maketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hello Inet63,

Thank you for your comment. I apologize for any incovenience you encountered while you were trying to make a reservation. I am happy to hear that Alka was able to turn your experience around for you. I will be sure to pass your kind words about her service to her.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton Birmingham when my flight out of the Birmingham Airport was cancelled on a Friday night. There were good things about this property but the actual condition of the room is where they fell short.
Pros:
-The service from the staff was incredible. Everyone we walked by said hello and was very friendly, including our shuttle driver who picked us up from the airport because we were stranded.
-The location is downtown near restaurants and bars and the shuttle will take you at all hours of the night.
-the beds and pillows were extremely comfortable.
Cons:
-At 8pm on a Friday there was only one guest service agent working and it took about 15 minutes for us and another guest to check in.
-The carpet in our room had several stains-one looked like spewed fruit punch or something red right next to the bed and another large gray stain in front of the bed. These are very noticeable to the human eye and could have easily been cleaned by maintenance or housekeeping.
-The chair in the room was covered in human hair and there were little hairs on the bedspread.
-The bathtub around the drain is in need of caulking.
-Spilled nail polish was stuck to the glass table under the alarm clock.
I feel like if you're staying at a hotel where you have to pay for everything-parking, wifi, breakfast...you should at least have a room that is spotless. Housekeeping needs to pay more attention to detail. and room 754 needs some work.
I would stay here again because of location and service, but I will ask for a different room if its not up to standards.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Hello Rolltide120,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you received incredible service. However, I am disappointed to hear that we fell short on the quality of your room.We take pride in our property and our guest rooms and it is feedback such as yours that we use to help us meet our guest needs. I would like to welcome you back to our property so we may have the opportunity to regain your confidence in our property. We hope to see you again in the near future; again, we appreciate your feedback.