Sheraton Birmingham Hotel
Tourway Inn(Birmingham)
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
1,029 results
All reviewsconvention centerfreddy rivasspg memberthe club loungeattending an eventstarbucks coffeeself parkingdowntown areathe room was nicebjccjeffersonuptownfreewayalabama
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Desk Clerks could be more efficient: Checked in -- asked for parking; Desk Clerk did not add; Not on bill had to return to desk clerk to update bill before car was released; Walls to thin; Noise from hall and next room irritating.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Our stay was a bad experience. Our bath was not replenished with toilet paper or kleenex. Coffee was terrible. Coffee shop was never open. Any calls for service had to be followed by second call 30 minutes later. Indoor pool was too cold to swim in.
Service at the sports bar was terribly slow. My son's key was deactivated hours before check out time. Why no mini fridge. Air conditioning shuts off when you leave your room to save hotel's money. Room heats up quite a bit when you're gone. I thought i paid for a cold room. Very limited tv channel choice. Cannot hook up kids game to tv input.
Very expensive for mediocre stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank benwahoo
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Our daughter booked a reservation for us through Sheraton's central reservations as part of a romantic weekend for our anniversary. She used her credit card and name to book. She told them that the reservation was for her parents' as part of a gift. She told them our names and whoever she talked to at Sheraton's central reservations assured her that this was fine.
When my husband and I arrived, we were told that it was their policy that whoever booked the reservation had to be there. The supervisor did say that my daughter could fax her approval. This was a Saturday and my daughter, who lives out of state does not have a fax machine at home, as most of us do not. I was unable to reach my daughter, so was forced to pay for our own room. I would have gone somewhere else, but my daughter had hired a limousine to take us to dinner from the Sheraton. The supervisor was very unhelpful and didn't seem to care that Central reservations had misrepresented things to my daughter. The floor manager did offer a free dinner, but we already had dinner reservations somewhere else. He didn't offer anything else. The room that we ended up in was next to some type of hospitality suite and was very loud throughout the night. I feel sure that the supervisor did this on purpose because I had been so upset when we checked in. Because we had been unable to sleep much, we checked out early and went home, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luane
Reviewed 1 August 2009

I travel on business to Birmingham about once a month and I was tired of doing the trip down and back in one day from Atlanta. I decided to stay at the Sheraton.

If you are travelling on business here are a few things to know.

Ask for a room which does not overlook the interior courtyard. I personally do not like the set up of hotels which the entrances all face an interior such as this from a privacy standpoint. Also, if you are a female travelling alone, ask to get a room which is not all the way down the endless hallways. I asked to change my room for both of these reasons.

The room was fine but the bathroom was a little dated, the tub drain latch would only stay in a closed potition and I find it gross to be standing in 6 inches of water when taking a shower. There is no mini bar to grab a snack or a soda.

There is NO place to eat within walking distance, and even if there way I would not want to be out on the street at night. We has dinner at the restaurant (there also is a sports bar which we checked out and it looks like they just microwave the food) and it was okay. It did not feel like a restaurant but more like a place where they set up tables and the waitstaff (not very attentive and there were only 3 other tables filled) had to go elsewhere to get drinks from the bar and food from the kitchen.

There is a bar in the lobby of the hotel and the bartender was more interested in watching TV than getting us a drink.

The lobby set up is poor and you feel likeyou are checking in to a convention instead of stay in a hotel. It it not organized well and consequently makes the environment feel quite hectic.

Any instance I had with hotel staff was fair. When I asked to move my room they were accomodating but I think in a situation where a guest is requesting to move a room for any reason, there should be a little higher level of customer service. I know the Sheraton is not the Ritz, but if I were the desk attendant I would call the guest and ask if the new room met their needs.

As I said in my title, unfortunately this is the only game in town if you are here on business. There are a couple boutique hotels, the Redmont being one of them. But the reviews I have read are not that positive. I would rather put up with the downside of the Sheraton in Birmingham and have the backing of a large chain behind my satisfaction with my visit.

So at the end of the day, it is not horrible, but there is nothing about it that will make you say "I can't wait to stay here again".

Lastly, valet parking is $20 and I was not told this upfront.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 July 2009

One of the "better" in the Sheraton brand. However, I will commend the front desk on their high customer service level. Very polite and attentive.

The rooms are somewhat dated and still have old televisions. I was only there one night but would return.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business