“Very disappointing, the place was in total disarray.”
Review of Newk's Eatery

Newk's Eatery
Ranked #480 of 987 Restaurants in Birmingham
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

we arrived at 1:30 for lunch and and walked into mass confusion. The place was nearly empty and yet staff were scurrying everywhere with their hair on fire. We were directed to the menu on the wall, which was very confusing. Instead of having 60-70 items on the menu, none of which you do particularly well, why not pare it down to 20 and make them spectacular? Asked about protein bowls we had seen advertised. The hostess looked at us like we had three heads. Never heard of protein bowls. Go find the manager. He explains no protein bowls are ready. We were then directed to a cashier-in-training. Sweet little lady. Tried very hard, but had to get the manager twice to un-confuse herself (and us) about menu items. Then I really threw her a curve. I wanted a beer. Underage staff; had to get the manager again. Finally finished the ordering process. $26.00 for a half sandwich with a cup of soup, a whole sandwich with a cup of soup, one beer and a water. Wow, this should be really good. We then noticed the health department rating: 89. Cause for minor concern, but not bad enough to cancel the order and leave. While waiting for our order, I went to the men's room. The water to the lavatory didn't work. There was another lavatory in the hall between the men's and ladies restrooms. No water to that faucet either. No way to wash one's hands. Wait a minute: where do employees wash their hands before returning to work? Obviously they don't, which may explain the 89 from the health department. Food finally arrived at 2:00, by which time we were the only people in the restaurant. Beer served with no bevnap; sweated all over the table. Pimiento cheese sandwich served on a hard roll, which means when you attempt to bite into the sandwich, the filling squirts out all over the place. Food was OK, but not $26.00 worth. Won't be going back. Ever. I hope the sweet little cashier-in-training escapes before it's too late.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

I first learned of this chain while living in Huntsville and was thrilled when this location was opened. I have several favorites...

Reviewed 20 May 2017 via mobile

it's our 4th visit and its time for a review. Service is normally kinda above average except if you arrive near closing time. The pizza is average, slightly better than from store freezer or that pizza pizza guy. Sandwiches, are also Average. Your soup will be cold,
stick with the salads. Which is what they do best.

Reviewed 5 December 2016

This was our first visit to Newk's and I'm sorry to say we were not impressed. We ordered a veggie pizza and two small salads, one ceasar and one regular with ranch. I was glad to see the ceasar dressing didn't have anchovies, but when our salads came, they were already dressed, which I am not used to, and there was SO MUCH dressing it was crazy! The greens were completely drowning in dressing. The caesar dressing had good flavor but it was just way too much. The same with the other salad, although the ranch had no flavor at all. When the pizza came, it was incredibly oily. It appeared to be olive oil, but there was so much of it, it was even seeping out under the slices and covering the bottom of the pan. We had to soak it up with napkins to even be able to eat it. Overall, good flavors, but just not impressed and do not plan on returning.

Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

It's been a long time since I have been out to a place where they treated like family it was good an fast an they were friendly