“Corporate theft”

Ranked #21 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Miami, Florida
“Corporate theft”
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Do not stay here, They are lying corporate thieves, Checked in on Mondsy -- the next morning gave them a different credit card as I decided not to use the bank card. They put holds on both cards and will not release the hold until i check out, then it will be 5-7 days before i get the hold released. They also advertise a $59 rate on the internet and billboards but good luck trying to get that rate. The guy at the 800 number says the hotel has to be 100 percent vacant before that rate is offered. I never could get it despite checking back each day, The maids barely clean the room and they don't leave replacement towels. A big spot light shines into rooms at night so can't open the drapes less be blinded. Bedspread smelled gross -- they took it out but never washed it to bring it back. I never write hotel reviews but this is ridiculous. I don't like to be ripped off, esp. during the holidays. They have no right to hold my money for no reason. Front desk staff is friendly but that is the ONLY thing going for this hotel in the middle of this dying crappy polluted ghost town.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where you won't have constant highway noise and a bright light shining into your...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank writer333_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New Jersey
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Booked through hotwire. Arrived late after a concert. Front desk already had our keys ready to go and took no time in coming to check us in up front. This is always greatly appreciated. Was able to secure a roll-away for our room for $10, which fewer hotels seem to like to do nowadays. I will say it was a Guantanamo bay-level bed, about as uncomfortable as they come.

Room was clean, plug-in internet only (free). Beds were nice and comfy. The bathroom had the saloon style doors, which seems to be a consistent feature at La Quinta. These doors have a gap between the bottom and the floor, and also between the two slabs. Note: They didn't think this through!! These rooms are clearly meant to be shared, and let's just say it becomes a little awkward when somebody has to do a #2. It just makes no sense to me. This is the major weak point of the room and, it would seem, all La Quintas. I need a bathroom where there is peace, quiet and privacy. It's not a lot to ask.

Overall it's a fine place to stay, got a great deal through Hotwire.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 17 November 2011

This is one of those places that has the potential to be amazing...the landscaping is gorgeous, the area is gorgeous etc! Our room was clean and had brand spanking new sheets ( AHHHH) and the bed was super comfy. While walking up the hall you can't help but notice that the doors to the rooms are dirty and the carpets could have used a really good cleaning. I suppose, for me, the turn-off was that the work out room was a joke. It was so dirty, had no towels or water, and all and I do mean ALL of the equipment was either broken or was so sketchy that I was afraid to use it.

I can't say that we wouldn't be back, but I will say that I may take a closer look at other hotels in the area first. A real shame because the people were so nice and like I said, the area is beautiful and of course....they are pet friendly!

PS..for those who are light sleepers, we didn't hear a peep from any of our neighbors!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Fairfield, Ohio
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I first discovered this hotel when I was traveling with my dog and well... you know... nice options are limited with pets. This hotel is located in an upscale area (exit 255 on I-65) just south of downtown B'ham amid good restaurants & higher priced hotels. For $63 (AAA rate), it's amazing. Clean rooms, attractive lobby, unique & roomy floor plans in rooms, free internet, dog friendly. I came back this time (without the dog) because it is a very nice place to stay as on overnight stop on my frequent trips from Cincinnati to visit my kids in Pensacola.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Chicago
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We arrived as scheduled and our rooms were available, we decided at that point we wanted an additional night, it was no problem even though it was Labor Day weekend. The hotel was very nice and clean and the rooms were very spacious, the elevator could use a little updating but other than that it was a wonderful hotel including the staff.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Kentucky
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We go to the races at Talladega every year and have stayed at this La Quinta a couple of times. It is in a good location with shops and restaurants very close by plus it is right off I65. The rooms that we have had previously have always been spacious and nice. We stayed there this past weekend and did not have a good experience for the most part but I don't feel that is the norm for this hotel. There is a nice continential breakfast in the mornings and the staff is always very friendly and helpful. There is a hot tub and pool (both outside) that are nice. This was a spur of the moment trip and we booked the hotel the night before we stayed there which may have contributed to the issues we had. We wanted a king bed non smoking and all they had left was a handicapped room. It apparently backed RIGHT up to the elevator shaft and I guess there is little to no insulation in the wall ajoining it which is the wall the headboard is against. Needless to say neither of us got much sleep that night due to the constant loud mechanical noise from the elevator going up and down. It woke us up frequently as did loud plumbing. (More insulation in the walls would have solved this too I assume.) The room was nice and the only thing that was a problem that had to do with it being a handicapped room was that the shower floor was also the bathroom floor. It didn't appear to slope much towards the drain so after showering, the entire bathroom floor was one big puddle that flowed out onto the carpet in the room. The room had a nice microwave, refrigerator and TV. There were lots of pillows and a thermastat in the room which was nice instead of having to try and figure out how to adjust it on the wall unit. Only other complaint that we had on this stay was that we did call and ask for a wake up call but it never came the next morning.

Bottom line: We like this hotel and the staff so we will stay here again however we will be sure to get a regular room and ask for it to be far away from the elevator.

Room Tip: Make sure that your room is not close to the elevator shaft.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2011

This property is 4 miles south of Birmingham with easy access to the highway...They accept pets which is why we stayed here...Very clean and quiet..lots of restaurants in the area it was great......

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business