“Another construction mess”

Ranked #23 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Tuscaloosa
“Another construction mess”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I usually prefer La Quinta, in part from earlier Bright Side Breakfast extras, but lately La Quinta loses ground, including this recent stay. Construction chaos was a big disappointment. Yes, I'm glad they modernize older locations, but it is an unpleasant surprise to find yourself in the middle of a dirty construction project as an unwelcome surprise. There was construction dust grit on tables at the Bright Side Breakfast, meaning that cleaning was not happening. My first/original Bright Side Breakfast included hot scrambled eggs, but now all I see are hard-boiled eggs, not equivalent. They obviously save money this way, but after my second La Quinta construction chaos and declining breakfast quality and cleanliness, maybe it's time to try other alternatives? room was spacious, but hallways very noisy, even to 2:00 am.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jerry L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Great experience! The hotel is going through a face lift but that did not prevent them from having beautifully decorated, comfortable, spacious rooms! The service was great! Every question we had about the area was answered to our satisfaction. They gave very specific directions to some great eating places and shopping areas. We will definitely stay there our next trip.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Anyone who's read my reviews knows I like La Quintas. Most of the time, they are an unbeatable combination of quality and value for the budget minded business traveler. I've stayed at this La Quinta several times over the past two years and the first time or two, it was very good. But the last couple of times have been very disappointing and I have to downgrade this location to two stars.

Last year when I stayed here, I was given a room on the first floor, near the lobby. Big mistake. There was a large group of kids and they congregated in the lobby and outside my door and made a lot of noise late into the night. Figuring that this was an exception, I stayed here again recently on a Monday and came back on the Thursday to catch a flight the next morning.

Monday I got a room on an upper floor that had just been remodeled. It was nice, despite the shower being weak and the Internet very slow. The breakfast choices were poor but I normally go with raisin bran anyway.

Thursday they had me booked on the ground floor near the lobby so I asked for a different room. They gave me another room on the same floor but at the back of the hotel. It was 5pm when I checked in and I had been up since 5am so I looked forward to a quick nap but remodeling was going on in the next room and it sounded like they were drilling through my wall. The desk clerk said they worked until 6pm so no nap.

After getting some dinner, I came back and fired up the laptop to do some work. The Internet was so slow I couldn't get into my email. I went to the front desk to report the problem and ask where the business room was so I could use the hotel computer and printer to print my boarding pass. The clerk looked at me like I was strange. “We don't have one,” he said. Every hotel I've been in has a computer for guest use but not this one.

I reported the Internet problem and he was mystified. He knew nothing about resetting a modem so he called the company. He said they were going to reset the connection. I went back to my room and five minutes later, the La Quinta connection completely disappeared and never came back.

This hotel is no longer business quality and until serious improvements are made in many areas, I cannot recommend it.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, ask for the 4th floor until remodeling is finished.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Kennesaw, Georgia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I've stayed here a couple times. It's not very updated, but staff is nice, it's dog friendly, and in a convenient location. This last trip I landed in a room with bed bugs -- I called the hotel to report this and they said they'd shut the room down until they're terminated. Either way it's a major hassle for me to now exterminate my home! Of course this is part of the deal with traveling... I just suggest taking a close look at your room here until making yourself too comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mary T
Mountain Home, AR
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We out our staff up in this hotel for a week stay while in Birmingham. This was a five room seven day rental and the location for this hotel as well as value is a solid plus for staying here. 5 x 7 nights is just great there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business