“Efficient and uneventful - helpful staff”

Hyatt Place Birmingham / Inverness
Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Nice place, wonderful pool... much nicer than expected in a Hyatt Place. The setting is very nice. Excellent staff. I read a TA review complaint about the staff but the staff went out of their way to be efficient, friendly and helpful. Really. We live a few miles away and went for a quick anniversary getaway from our teenagers. Very nice trip overall.

Room Tip: Back side of the building overlooks trees and a landscaped corporate park.... very attractive view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Got a great deal through hotwire ($45 out the door). The hotel is in a decent area and the pool and lobby were nice. Breakfast was great for being free and overall the place was very clean. Our room however had a slight smell of smoke that when we first arrived you could only kind of smell in the bathroom and it was very weak. After going to the pool we came back to the room and it was a little stronger, but we decided that it would be more of a hastle to change rooms then the smell was worth so we kept it. After heading out for the evenening, we got back around 10:30 and the smell was worse - by that time everyone was too tired and we just went to sleep. In the morning the front desk was very helpful when we told them about our issue, but in reality there wasn't a whole heck of a lot they could do. They did comp us some free drinks and snacks for our trip on checkout. Ironically, Friends of ours were across the hall and their room was perfect. So make sure if there is anything that is wrong with your room at check in - have it switched!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank fdk216
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We booked a room because the hotel says it's a "non-smoking" property. However, there are two large, standing ashtrays bordering the entrance of the hotel and many guests hang out between the ashtrays and at the fountain just a few feet from the entrance and smoke. You can't avoid the smoke entering or exiting. Also, our room smelled suspiciously like smoke, especially when we turned on the air conditioning (AC). We had a choice: AC with smoke, or no AC in a hot and humid environment. Not great. The AC is not that comfortable (especially for the person sleeping in the bed next to the AC unit). It's a loud and dated unit (blowing cold air only inches from the bed).

However, it's a nice hotel in a nice area. The staff is amazingly friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If you're going to Birmingham, stay in the Inverness area just outside the city. Downtown Birmi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GottaBeOnTheWater
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I Will NEVER come back here again.. I've been here twice, apparently I'm a glutton for punishment.. The manager was so rude and indignant I can't believe Hyatt puts up with this nonsense.. Angie or Angela or whatever her name was.. What ever you do, don't ask for an early check in, you would have thought you were asking for her to cut a limb off. When I first arrived, before even saying hello, and I quote, "We ain'ts got no rooms available" Turns out there central reservations booked me for the wrong hotel.. Which happens and although disappointing not my most pressing concern.. Since I figure I could simply cancel the one reservation and rebook the other. Well, not so much.. The manager looked me right in the eye and ball faced lied about their occupancy, stating they were completely full for that night.. I called back to Hyatt's central reservations, advised them of my predicament and much to my surprise they immediately indicated they could book my room there was plenty of availability.. Need to be sure, since "the manager" was so adamant they were full, I had Hyatt customer support call to confirm, to which they did and much to my surprise they had plenty of availability! Anyway, this is the first hotel review I have ever written! But I was so disgusted by her attitude and behavior I could not let this go!! Ironically, the first time I stayed their! Same manager same classless behavior when I tried to check in! No 3 time loser here - will never go back - there are plenty of other service friendly hotels off of 280, pick any other than Hyatt place INVERNESS!!!

Room Tip: Pick any other hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Bill R
Reviewed 6 June 2012

good things: Room was a good size. A few friendly staff. location.
bad things: stained carpet, hard bed, £3.50 for the water in the room, shower is either scolding hot or cold plus it is attatched to wall you cant move it around, at least 5 times we got stopped and asked if we were staying in the hotel and made to show our room card, had a do not disturb sign on door but still the cleaners on 2 separate occasions just walked straight in while we were still in bed, not much of a relaxing weekend.. Took £150 off my card even though we had payed almost £400 in advance to stay for the four nights telling we this would be put straight back on after checking out (it still has not been put back in my account) then when we do check out we get charged another £56 for parking, this I was appalled at as not a single member of staff told us we had to pay to park and if we had known we could have left the car somewhere else a lot cheaper or free, also side of bath had some mould. Would have had a better stay at travelodge and will never stay in this hotel again

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lizzyanne000
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I have to come to Birmingham one week a month and the Hyatt is where I always stay. Great hotel, fabulous breakfast, wonderful people.

The bed is very comfortable, and the huge TV is most welcome. My only complaint is that it is easy to get a little confused by which turn to take off 280 to get to the hotel, but I'm sure that's my fault. Oh, I also really like that when I get busy and it's time to check out and I don't have a tip for the housekeeper (they are great!) I can just walk out the front door and there is a bank with an ATM across the parking lot.

I recommend this to anyone for service and location. I love Route 280.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Marilyn W
Reviewed 19 May 2012

My husband and I chose this hotel when I had to be in Birmingham for abdominal surgery. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. The beds are extremely comfortable and the decor was stylish and roomy. It helped tremendously that my husband could go downstairs at anytime and get the food or drink that we required. The rooms and public areas were extremely clean. This was by far the nicest, cleanest, most hospitable hotel that we have ever stayed in. I have recommended this hotel and will continue to do so.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple