“In need of an upgrade!”

Ranked #27 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
New York City, New York
“In need of an upgrade!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I purposely stayed outside of downtown or Birmingham because I thought the Marriott branded property would be nice - and it's not. The room is old and real need of upgrade. I am Marriott loyal and recommend you stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Michael M, General Manager at Birmingham Marriott, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear avidtraveler1976,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit with us. We are happy that you gave us an opportunity and also disappointed that we failed to meet your expectations. I appreciate your direct feedback, we will be completely renovating our bathrooms shortly and believe that the finished product will be just what you are looking for. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the Birmingham area that you will give us another opportunity. Again thank you for your feedback and for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Birmingham Marriott is truly my home away from home. The service matches that of any JW Marriott or even Ritz Carlton I have been too. The go out of there way to make me feel at home to making sure I have morning Starbucks delivered to the car if I am in a hurry. They truly take an interest in knowing you and what you like. One week we had received the disappointing news that our flight was canceled and we needed to stay again. We called Kyla at the front desk and told her we were tired and needed a room. She said no problem I look up your Marriott Rewards details and have you a room ready when you get here. 30 minutes later we arrived at the hotel with rooms ready and a friendly smile to greet us.
When I had a trip to the emergency one of the staff members offered to drive me back from the ER which was way past the normal coutesy shuttle route.
Tonya always takes my room service order with a smile and even lets me order special things that are not on the menu - like mashed potatoes when had I severe tooth pain and could not eat anything.
All in all the staff is like an extended family to me and I will stay here anytime I am in Birmingham.

Room Tip: 8th floor is always best
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NetteNette2014
Dear NetteNette2014,

Thank you for your feedback and most importantly for your loyalty. Our staff works very hard to take care of our guests but also to get to know them. It is always great to hear when all of their efforts are recognized and I get to share it with them. Thank you for making us your first choice in Birmingham. We look forward towards your next visit.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed in the Marriot since my meetings were close! The rooms are not very clean and the housekeeping service very slow. I had to call at four pm to get my room serviced.

The food in the restaruant was cold and expensive for the quality.

The from desk was friendly and nice, but I will not repeat this hotel!

Room Tip: The hotel is circular, so most all rooms have the same view!
Green Features: Use glasses instead of plastic, just as important than washing the linens less often!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Michael M, General Manager at Birmingham Marriott, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Jade T,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that we fell short of not only yours, but our standards as well. We typically have good reviews on our cleanliness and housekeeping efforts. I will review your feedback with my management team and make sure we review our standards and training and make the appropriate changes. Again, thank you for your constructive feedback. I do hope that we have another opportunity to earn your business.
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I booked this hotel based on other reviews I read on here for a quick overnight business trip. I wish I would have stayed elsewhere.

Location: Easy to find, right off the main road. Location appears to be safe and quiet surrounded by office buildings. This hotel is about 5-7 miles from downtown itself.

Parking: Free and ample.

Rooms: The rooms are very old and outdated. Yes, there is a flat screen, but that's where the updates end. I was placed on the 2nd floor and told to go to the 8th floor for the concierge lounge access. I found this odd, as a Gold Member I should have been staying on the concierge floor. If all concierge level rooms were filled with Platinum Members (which I doubt as the hotel is not at capacity) something higher then a second floor room with a view of the other hotel building would have been appreciated.

Concierge Lounge: Staff were very nice and attentive. Food seemed fresh although I did not partake. Plenty of bottled water, tea etc.

Check In/Tax Exempt Status: The front desk attendant informed that they "don't do tax exempt" at this hotel. Which is incorrect. She even checked with someone in the back and then came back to tell me the same thing. I stay at Marriott brand hotels between 50-75 nights a year and never have I ever encountered one that had an issue removing the taxes upon presentation of my organization's 501c3 status. The fact that the front desk representative was so adamant they didn't do it, was quite off putting. I'll be speaking with the manager in the morning and no doubt it will be resolved, but it's unfortunate a full service Marriott hasn't done a better job of training their team on something as basic as federal tax exemption.

Overall I would not stay here again. I would rather stay at one of the many Courtyard or other lesser Marriott brand hotels that are newly renovated, closer to downtown and cost less.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Michael M, General Manager at Birmingham Marriott, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Travelbugs1234,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent experience with us. I apologize about your experience regarding the tax exempt status. We will need to educate our staff better on this process. The last thing we want to do is hassle our guests, but that is exactly what we did in this instance. I appreciate your constructive criticism, we constantly look for ways to improve and you have given us a few areas to focus in on. I know our team can provide an outstanding experience and hope that you may give us another opportunity in the future. Thank you.
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel is on highway 280 near everything.. Shopping ,,,good restaurants, entertainment, movies, and other attractions. ..also the rooms are nice and the service is good...coffee bar and bar and restaurant...

Room Tip: I like near elevator
Green Features: Meet and great,, polite and ask if everything is good..really nice..
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Checking in at 2 a.m, correct 2 a.m. Front desk woman was annoyed I was disturbing her. Took THIRTY MINUTES to check in, claiming she couldn't pull up reservation..... even after I went back to car to retrieve confirmation number. A total inconsiderate bore. I stay at Marriott frequently (platinum), this individual is NOT what Marriott needs at the front desk.
Concierge staff was the antithesis of the bore, but a harrowing check in certainly starts a poor experience.
Not sure why the bore was employed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank 21353
Michael M, General Manager at Birmingham Marriott, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Gary S,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent experience with us. I am terribly sorry for the challenges you faced while checking in. Regardless of the hour you should not have to go through that and I will make sure that it gets addressed immediately. As a Platinum member we appreciate you business and loyalty and I am truly regretful of your experience. Thank you for bringing the concerns to our attention.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Excellent location not to far from downtown. Check-in was a breeze, the rooms are nice and comfortable. The indoor pool and fitness area were a real treat. The Summit is located only a couple of miles from the hotel, wide variety of shops and restaurants there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business