“Can't Even Handle Booking My Reservation”

Birmingham Marriott
Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I'm coming to Birmingham for a tennis tournament with my son. This hotel was one of the ones recommended by the tournament. When I called to book our room, I went through the process with the phone agent then received the email confirmation - he had booked me at the wrong Marriott property. I called back to straighten things out and make sure we had a room at the proper Marriott. The phone agent (a different one) kept me on the phone for over 10 minutes only to then tell me they didn't have a room available with 2 beds, only one king AND that the rate didn't include breakfast even though the tournament website quoted a rate including breakfast. This is one of the most frustrating phone booking experiences I've ever had, and I do this on a regular basis. Very disappointing, Marriott!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Michael M, General Manager at Birmingham Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear FitMomma,

Thank you for your feedback with your experience with Marriott Reservations. I understand how frustrating that can be. It disappoints me that this happened because although we at the property didn't interact with you, Marriott reservations is an extension of our hotel and represents us; and in this case let you down. I can assure you that once you arrive on property and interact with our associates, you will be well taken care of. We pride ourselves on our service and interaction with our guests. Please feel free to reach out to me if there is anything at all I can assist you with prior to your arrival. Again, I apologize for the poor experience you had with Marriott reservations but we are happy you selected our hotel and we look forward toward your stay.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed here for a weekend trip with my son. From the moment we walked in the door, it was a great experience. The man working the front desk was obviously new, but he was stellar. The AGM even came out and greeted us when he found out I worked for Marriott. The indoor pool was awesome. Perfect for children! The room service we ordered for breakfast was amazing. Also, it's in a perfect location. The Starbucks downstairs never failed to dissapoint and the man working was always fast! My only complaint was that the rooms need to be updated. The hotel would definitely go up points wise if it had a rennovation.

MAJOR BONUS- The people in the room beside us were SO NOISY. I was going to wait until at least 10 to call, but right as I was about to, a security guard came up. I had walked down to the ice machine when he was leaving and he apologized and said if there were any more problems, to call. The got a little rowdy again around midnight so I did and he had it taken care of in no time. I was very pleased with that!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bethany S
Michael M, General Manager at Birmingham Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear BethanyS,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent experience with us. I am so sorry to hear about the noisy neighbors but am happy we seemed to get it taken care of quickly. We appreciate that you have shared your positive experience with the TripAdviser community, our team work very hard to take excellent care of our guests and it seems you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again if your travels bring you back this direction.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were interested in shopping and staying near The Summit. This hotel fit the bill! The hotel has a large feel to it- large lobby and sitting area with a beautiful fountain. There is a business center with several computers and free internet! There is a Starbucks in the lobby for coffee in the morning. The hotel does has a restaurant that serves a nice breakfast (dinner is so-so)! We took the complimentary shuttle to The Summit and it was very nice.

Note: there is not an outside sitting area or an outside pool (only an indoor pool). So, if you are coming to relax in the sun, this is probably not the hotel for you.

The staff is very helpful. Eve was great in getting us checked in and had a lovely, personalized welcome card waiting for us in our room. Very nice touch- thank you!

We would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank m_kercher

Dear m_kercher.

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to recognize some of our staff. We enjoy trying to personalize our guests stay and I am excited that you had a great stay. Hopefully your shopping adventure at the Summit was successful!! Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I travel for job 95% of the time and it is nice to be able to enter a hotel and the staff treats you like a good friend. The staff (specifically Tonya) has consistently made sure that my stay was pleasant. Furthermore, I have observed the staff treating every customer as if they were a VIP. The accommodation are very nice and spacious!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Derrek K,

Thank you for providing us feedback on your recent experience with us. We appreciate that you have chosen to stay with us while you are in Birmingham. Our staff work hard to get to know all of our guests and will definitely try and do whatever it takes to make our guests happy. Thank you for recognizing our staff and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This Marriott is located in the heart of Mountain Brook Alabama. It is close to almost any type restaurant one would desire. There is a pricy ho-hum restaurant in the hotel, but the gems are just a short drive away.

Having stayed at this Marriott several time in the past when visiting Birmingham, we had a problem making sure this was the right one. It's named The Birmingham Marriott, making us think it was in downtown Birmingham, when it is actually in (more desirable) Mountain Brook, an upscale Birmingham suburb.

In true Marriott tradition, the hotel is clean, up to date and well appointed. It is located off I-280 in a park like setting. Everyone should know Parking is free self- parking with disabled parking right next to the back entry. Hotel security is very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the I-280 Interstate. Views from the back of the hotel are more wooded and...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear palmjumper,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdviser community. We appreciate the feedback and are happy you enjoyed your experience. We try and make sure to take care of all of the details, but most importantly, we try and take care of our guests. We appreciate that you have decided to stay with us while in Birmingham and hope to see you again soon if your travels bring you back this direction.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel has the most wonderful staff, from the front desk onwards nothing was too much trouble for these folks, really helpful. The concierges Bill and Mike went out of their way to make sure the hotel shuttle always gave us a taxi service locally, really good guys.
The food was OK, there is room for improvement but the breakfast was excellent, the bedrooms and bathrooms need a little refurbishment but the beds were extremely comfortable, excellent sleep quality, would stay there again when I have a business trip in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Michael M, General Manager at Birmingham Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear MPMHale,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit with us here at the Birmingham Marriott. We appreciate both the positive and constructive feedback. We will certainly work to improve the quality of the food and are also happy to let you know that we are scheduled for full bathroom renovations this year. Again thank you for the feedback and hopefully we will see you again if your travels bring you back to Birmingham.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I enjoyed my 2 day stay here on business. I was able to check in easily and seamlessly thanks to the associate at the front desk. Unfortunately I didn't record her name but she had blonde hair and was from my home state of Michigan, and she was very helpful. Tonya at the front desk went out of her way to secure my travel arrangements and Michael was a very patient shuttle driver with me. I also had dinner in the cafe, one of the best salads I've had in a long time and blackened salmon with asparagus and broccoli, which was also delicious. I will make this my permanent home whenever I'm in Birmingham. Thanks again for a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Nadia Y,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on your recent stay. Our team works hard to try and make personal connections with our guests and truly provide excellent service and a great experience. I look forward to sharing your comments with the team. We look forward to your next visit. Thank you.