“What? No shower!!!!”

Ranked #64 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Mobile, Alabama
“What? No shower!!!!”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed overnight in June 24, 2013. My husband and I had to stay over night and were not familiar with the area. The staff was nice and friendly at check-in and non-existent afterwards. We immediately called after entering our room to tell the front desk; the sink did not work - no water. The shower did not work, it dribbled, but it did dribble hot water. No shower. The smoke-free room had pillows from a smoker's room in it. There went my allergies. The air conditioner did work! The price was cheap $50.00. It brings to mind what my parents have always told me: you get what you pay for. This was a very BAD experience. One we will not repeat.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sharon W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This hotel had the basics needed for a stay-- beds, toilets, and showers. That was about it. We booked this hotel through another website where the name of the hotel isn't revealed to you until after you book. We've never had trouble in doing this before, but this hotel was the one disappointment in our years of doing that sort of "gambling."

The grounds of the hotel seemed to be in disrepair. The outdoor hotel pool was "broken" during our stay, and frankly, given the upkeep of the area around the pool, I'm not sure we'd swim in it anyway. Our room was fine, though the interior was quite dated-- especially the bedding. There were some "colorful" people staying here during our night's stay. We never felt unsafe or threatened, but my husband did help up a shirtless man who had fallen behind a sketchy church bus in the parking lot.

The lobby was fine. The breakfast provided was okay-- breakfast cereal and toast. Nothing special. If we ever happen to stay in Birmingham again, it most definitely will not be here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mlwf
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 July 2013

TWhen we travel, we always like to create a top ten favorites list for good memories of our trips. Since there wasnt a single item to place on the "top ten" list regarding the Howard Johnson hotel on Oxmoor Road in Birmingham, AL, we decided to come up with a "worst ten" list instead.

10. A non refundable payment due to a last minute booked Internet purchase.

9. Thirty minutes of shifting and lifting furniture to determine the reasons why only one of the four installed light fixtures would illuminate.

8. "Toothpaste, mouthwash, sewing kits available at front desk". When requesting one of these items from the hotel, the expression of the snickering front desk clerk was classic. Please. Like these items have ever been provided.

7. The floor lamp collapsed when trying to turn it on. Reassembly required.

6. Fungus amongus. Period.

5. Temporarily closed pool appeared to have algae, mildews, dirt, rotting sewage, and garbage in it. The one thing that was missing was water.

4. Television was older than I am. And I'm in my 40's (early ones of course)

3. No showers taken due to fear of potential electrocution. Flickering of the lights in the shower when touching the shower rod caused this fear.

2. Upon returning from dinner, we returned to find six police cars, flashing lights, a crowd of other worried motel patrons, and a crying woman wearing denim mini shorts, high heels and a sports bra. she was filing a complaint with an officer directly in front of our "Room". We scurried past the melee to avoid any bullets that went awry. five minutes later, there was a beating of knocks at the door. reluctantly opening it, we were relieved to find an officer who kindly asked us to leave our contact information just in case we witnessed the crime scene.

1. Previously Used prophylactics stuck on the carpeting. Really?

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Buxx
BAKERSFIELD
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I ignored the warning by the othe reviewer & I booked this place thru a great booking site. I didn't think anything could go wrong. It's Howard Johnson. The only thing about this place that is Howard Johnson is the Lobby that I saw. We drove over to the room & the place had seedy people standing around & making deals.I was trying not to be afraid I have been in some bad places. I opened the door to the room & stench hit me so hard I just slammed the door & ran in the rain back to the front desk. I was informed I couldn't cancel because I booked from elsewhere. He got me the number & I called & they cancelled & I went to my car & booked a hotel from across the hiway far away from this hotel for displaced criminals & 1 hour stands. I can't say enough warnings for regular everyday people to stay away.

Room Tip: Not From here.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Want to start with-extremely friendly staff. However, my week-long business trip was plagued with problems at this facility. The rooms are entered as if it was a motel, which is something I could not tell from pictures when booking and wasn't what I expected from a Howard Johnson. The housekeeping staff repeatedly did not replace empty toilet paper rolls and upon check in, half of our rooms had soap, shampoo, etc and the other half did not. Over the course of a week, three of our five rooms had to completely change rooms. One, the toilet broke and they couldnt fix it (also didn't tell us it wasn't fixed and we'd be moving until I called again at night to complain). Second was because the electronic key reader on the door broke and wouldn't let anyone into the room. The last was at our request because my boss's room was far away from the rest of ours and the room next to hers (in a very isolated part of the hotel) was broken into one night.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business