“Good Price, but AWWFUL Stay!!”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #46 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This hotel has mold in bathrooms, ring in toilets and is too old. Stayed 2 nights and noone never cleaned our room. The maids took towels and 6 hours later still had no towels. Vending machines doesnt work, takes your money. Pool was nasty with green film. Asked when will it be cleaned on the 1st day of arrival,one person said within a couple of hours, next morning one person said at 10am, that evening pool was still green. Check ou time, asked when it will be cleaned they said they are working on it. NEVER AGAIN WILL I STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Godisgood52
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn

Reviewed 7 May 2012

Staff was friendly & helpful & free airport shuttle is the main reason to stay here. Everyday maintenance seemed to be lacking. No idea how the breakfast is, as I had an early flight.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The price with a coupon was a good deal. This is not a new hotel but if you need a clean place to stop that is inexpensive this is the hotel for you. The staff is extremly friendly and helpful and you get a good hot breakfast.
This is an inside hotel and its kept well. It has a micorwave in the room and refrigerator. Each room has a small balcony. Many choices of food and a good strip mall shopping near by.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We arrived late at night and the entrance was hard to find. A sign on the road marks the driveway that leads up the hill to the hotel. The hotel shows signs of age but everything was in good repair and very clean, well stocked and functioning.(I.E. T.V, shower, ice machine etc.)
The morning breakfast is great, full breakfast with a large assortment. The neighborhood is safe and many restuarants and retail shops are nearby. This is a very comfortable and safe place to stay. Easy access to Interstate 20. Highly reccommended by this experienced and weary traveler.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JimmyCarlBlack
Reviewed 7 August 2011

My family and I stayed at this hotel because we had earned a free night at a Choice Hotel and this was the one with the least objectionable negative reviews on tripadvisor.com. Keeping in mind that people are more likely to write a review when the experience is negative, I went in with an open mind. For the price of about $70 per night, I expect a safe location but not a lot of frills. In that sense, the hotel is correct. The location is quiet and it is on a hill with a lovely view of an opposing ridge and the neighborhood is very quiet. If you are approaching the hotel from the west (going up the hill), you are very likely to miss the entrance. In order to enter, you have to cross over double yellow lines to illegally enter the turn lane marked for the other direction. Yikes!! Fortunately that road is frequently empty.

Check in was friendly and efficient with Mr. Ken. The room, I'd say was okay. Importantly, the beds were extremely comfortable and clean. The bathroom had old fixtures and some mildew in a few spots but nothing gross. Again, it's a middle of the line hotel. The furniture was solid; only the office chair was stained, but oh well. No fridge in the room, okay. A small thing: they only gave us one bar of soap for the shower and for washing our hands, which was a little gross as well as inconvenient. The cable and wi-fi worked well, which was nice, and there were no problems with smells or stained linens or anything major like that.

The major annoyances had to do with customer service during the stay. At one point I was trying to leave for the day with my family but I had to run back into the room for a minute. The key card wouldn't let me in. Okay, we all know that that can happen. So I went to the front desk to find no one around. I waited for at least 10 minutes, knocked on some doors. . .nothing. Nor any way to call anyone. I had to go back out, find the housekeeping gentleman (who, to be fair, was really nice), and have him get someone out to the front desk. A woman came to the desk -- I believe she has been mentioned here in other reviews -- and said she was checking rooms. I had never been to a hotel where there wasn't always someone at the front desk, and I am no luxury traveler. What if there had been an emergency? There was no official way to call anyone (fortunately the housekeeping gentleman happened to be visible at that time.) She wasn't rude, just distant. Although I was snippy at that point, I just couldn't help it; having no one available at the front desk for long periods of time is just too big a gaffe to ignore.

The other problem with the experience was noise. Not from other guests, but from the air conditioner and the buzzing flourescent lights in the bathroom. We had to turn the tv on pretty loudly to be able to hear it over the A/C din. Fortunately the hotel wasn't crowded that night, or the other guests might have complained about our TV noise.

I wondered if what had happened was a fluke, but when I went down to the lobby for breakfast (which was pretty good, by the way) again, no one was at the desk for the whole time that I was there having breakfast.

The final straw occurred on the last morning we were there. At 7 AM on a Saturday morning I awakened to the sound of chainsaws whirring and a wood chipper devouring branches, not 30 feet from my room, in the middle of the parking lot. In what school of hotel management is early Saturday morning considered a good time slot for having some trees taken down next to the guest rooms? The air conditioner did its yeoman best to drown out the chainsaw noise but going back to sleep was futile. Whatever, we checked out -- again, no one at the desk, but this time Mr. Ken showed up within a couple of minutes. I told him about the chainsaws and he gave a perfunctory apology ("I do apologize for that. . .) but what could he do? That decision shouldn't have been made in the first place, whether in a two-star hotel or a five.

I believe that this hotel is being run by a family, and they are trying to do everything themselves, but I think they need to hire at least one more person to man the front desk. Otherwise, they should have a system installed to alert them when someone is needed at the desk. The front desk help was not rude, but was distant. Fortunately for future travelers, no more tree work needs to be done anytime soon.

Room Tip: Second floor, facing the valley
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Got one room and it had no electricity. We were moved to another room and it had no hot water. Ice machine wasn't working...Hey, we are not in a third world here are we? Had to leave early in the AM and got home (booked/stayed 1 night) only to find a 3 day charge.

I argued...but the front desk guy only agreed to reimburse me with two more days. To make things easier I just agreed until I get there and personally see the registration form.

I go to B'ham a lot...but wouldn't recommend this hotel due to the above.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2010

We stayed here because it was close to where we needed to be to move my step-daughter. We arrived late at night and left early the next morning so fortunately didn't have to stay very long.
My husband checked us in so I can't tell you what that was like.
We pulled around the back of the building (lots of parking available) and then carried our stuff into an old building. The halls were old and smelled old. The carpet smelled like every person that had walked the halls. Everything seemed really old. It was depressing. The room was tiny and, yes, it was old. The furniture was old, worn, and musty. I'm not a picky person, but this place really was icky. I didn't want to sit on the bedspread, much less slip in between the covers. I never let my naked feet touch the ground - the carpet was gross.
Left without doing the free breakfast. Went to the Krispy Kreme down the street, instead.
Glad I was only there for one night. Ewwww....

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale
Quality Inn & Suites Birmingham Highway 280
La Quinta Inn Birmingham / Cahaba Park South
Red Roof Inn Birmingham South
Red Roof Inn Birmingham South
#58 of 80 in Birmingham

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!