“Do NOT stay! filthy hotel, rude staff! 2 night nightmare”

Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Inverness
Ranked #47 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Night one:
No one at the desk for 20 min, after 2 staff members show up, they needed time to finish their conversation before one of them (Carolyn) decides to to help me out. Took her 30 min to check me in. The room had an AC unit hanging almost on top of the bed. The unit and the refrigerator was so loud, it felt like an air plain was landing inside every 30 min. As if this was not enough, you could hear everything that was going on in the rooms next to us. Rotten cabinets in the kitchen, very stained carpets. The hotel is an older building, it needs some remodeling.
Night2:
People hanging in the lobby again, friends or family of the staff I am assuming.
I did let the staff know that the room was very loud. As I was checking in for my second night ( accidentally booked the same hotel, wanted to stay at a different location).
As Carolyn was checking me in again, she was talking to a coworker. Her exact words: WHAT THE F** IS THIS B** COMING BACK HERE IF SHE DIDN'T LIKE THE FIRST NIGHT
I was shocked!!!! This level of service is unacceptable. I did let her know that it was unprofessional but Carolyn thought everything was funny and kept giggling while checking me in. I felt disrespected, mistreated and will make sure the hotel management will find a way to deal with this behavior. Room 2 - roaches under the sink.
This hotel is dragging the whole name down. I love to stay in these hotels, but will not do it anymore!
Management - train your staff, they are a reflection of you!

Room Tip: Read the reviews!!!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank V C

Reviewed 11 December 2013

A clerk who greets me with "your way to early to check in ! " after I had been pre approved to check in early. Nauseating odor in room, oven greasy, holes in wall, shaky commode with urine around O ring, mold on walls, dirty light switches, thick dust everywhere, dark red/brown stains that look like blood in the carpet. When I complained I was told that they were waiting to wake me up and have me move to remodeled rooms down stairs because they are gutting out my room on Monday. That would have been a disaster since I sleep until time for work. Glad I complained when I got off work before going to sleep. The clerk looked at me like I was an idiot and I felt so disrespected and felt like my opinion did not matter. They knew this room was a mess if they were already planning to gut it out! Please tell me why you would charge someone to stay in such a mess. My first mistake was not complaining the minute a I first opened the door to my room and the foul odor greeted me. I did not want confrontation so I politely got in my car and drove across the street to target and purchased cleaning supply and rolled my sleeves up and got to work cleaning. Instead of resting after a long night at work. This room was not cleanable. I wasted my time and money. Shame on me accepting this for two days. Then she gave me my new room in 114. My old room was 202. Well 114 does look better with a newer stove but it was nasty with grease as well. It is partially underground so you only have half a window to look out. There was the scent of fresh cigarette smoke in the air and I decided then that I was putting my bags in the car and driving home. They were also making my neighbor across the hall move downstairs. she has asthma and multiple health issues. She complained of the smoke and they ignored her as they did me. She said they smoke more than cigarettes down there as well. She has been living there for about 6 weeks. I felt so sorry for her. I commute every other week to work 150 miles around trip. Many of my coworkers do the same. I decided I would try staying in a cheap hotel to see if it would work out. My coworkers were observing my experience and had it worked out for me they would have rented some rooms in the future. We are all professionals and would have been great tenants for them on our work weeks. We work 7 on 7 off. I realize this is a one star hotel but does that mean you don't respect your customers enough to clean a room completely and welcome them with a smile. This is been the worse hotel experience in my life. It took up so much time away from my life and I lost so much sleep. I am still shocked at how I was treated with no remorse from the clerk or manager( not sure of her title). As I was telling her my story there was an employee sitting in a chair behind me laughing. The clerk also had smurky grin on her face. I booked on Hotwire so extended stay said I would have to go thru them to get a refund. I called Hotwire while sitting in the hotel lobby. Hotwire did refund me for the two I still had booked but not for the two days I stayed. They gave me a $50 Hotwire credit to use in the future. I understand their point but I think I should be refunded the full amount $198 for the total 4 days booked and refund for my cleaning services and supplies and the lost sleep time and mental anxiety! This really gives me a desire to own a hotel. I know I can do better than this. It is simple to enforce non smoking regulations in a building, completely clean a room before renting to guest, make sure everything is in working order, strong water pressure in shower, line the cabinets with new shelf liner after each guest checks out, new mattress protectors for each new guest, wash the bedspread and curtains each time, have leather furniture instead of cloth so it can be cleaned properly, absolutely no nasty carpet that holds stains and odors, throw rugs maybe so you can wash when guest check out. Have someone properly inspect room after it has been cleaned. Hire me to inspect. Extended stay will go out of business if they treat everyone the way I was was treated. I just hate that some people feel they have to stay here or be homeless. It is a no credit check establishment so when the homeless get a little extra money they can stay here for the night. I do wish they were treated better like kings and queens when they stay. Does not cost much to treat people right.

Room Tip: Down stairs is noisy but remodeled. I would say don't stay at all if you have a choice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ablssdmm
Reviewed 30 September 2013

this has been one of the worst exp i have had at an extended stay hotel yet i called and asked jimikeyon or whoever was at the front desk on sept 29 2013 at 7pm who told me the pool was open after i paid i was told it was closed then the air went out in room 122 no one has come to fix it yet this will prob keep me from going to any more of the extended stays and this was my fav hotel chain not inverness do not book here

Room Tip: dont check in
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kareynorris
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The problems you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have met with my staff to ensure your experience is not repeated. Please reach out to the front desk staff and we will be sure to have your A/C repaired immediately.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at biv@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

I enjoyed this experience. It had all the comforts that I needed for my stay. The location and ease of access was wonderful. The service was friendly and efficient. The Extended Stay America chain is great for families traveling together for several days. There are also several eating and shopping areas close by. (I would recommend an air freshener if possible.)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Jeanetta - The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such great things about your time with us. I'm so pleased to hear that you found our location to ideal and that our staff provided you with such great service. As well, it is great to hear that we made your stay so comfortable overall!

Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

My wife was able the get two rooms through Priceline at a very good price. The rooms met our needs very well. There was a smoking scent in the room that was a little annoying, but manageable. If you are looking for average and inexpensive this place is for you.

• Stayed: July 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Don - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that the rooms met your needs. I do apologize for the slight smoke odor. Our maintenance staff has corrected this issue.

Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

For the price and location, this hotel was great but for overall cleanliness, was one of the worst I have stayed in. To be fair, the hotel seemed to be going through renovations as there are large dumpsters filled with carpets, etc. I believe we may have unfortunately stayed in one of the older rooms that has not been inhabited in awhile...there was long black hair throughout the room on counters, bedspread, etc. the toilet made a very large noise every time we flushed and my youngest literally fell through the pull out bed as two springs were broke! If we had not checked in later in the evening, we would have demanded another room. Also note that there is NO elevator so another reason we didn't want to change rooms, we had already lugged our luggage and cooler up to the third floor! I cannot imagine staying here for an extended stay!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Kmkcook
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The cleanliness of the room you described is unacceptable and I sincerely apologize for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have reinforced the cleaning process to ensure your experience is not repeated. The staff and I appreciate your comments as it will only help us to improve. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at biv@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We were here for a few months and the staff was very friendly and helpful, especially Jonathan at the front dest. The property is not new but in decent condition. They were making some changes when we left. There is a HUGE safety issue though. People leave outside doors proped-open all times of day, and the guests are very suspect. I had to leave because of a violent incident with my next door neighbor. i was disappoint with how management handled this situation also.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dequence

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. It is great to read that you found our staff to be so friendly and helpful, especially Jonathan. I am so sorry for the problems that you experienced at our hotel. Please know, guest safety is a huge concern of ours. With that in mind, my team is making sure that all entrance doors are not propped-open at any time.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at biv@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.