“Birmingham Residence Inn”

Ranked #39 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
“Birmingham Residence Inn”
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I have stayed at this Marriott facility on many occasions for business, my most recent stay being in August 2012. It is always clean and the staff is always friendly and helpful. The included breakfast is pretty good, with a good variety. A few nights a week they offer food, although it's not what you would call health food. The hotel is near quite a few restaurants and a Starbucks. The exercise room is small and the air conditioning never works, which is an issue particularly in the summer. Finally, the cooking utensils available in the rooms are sparse, so be aware if you plan to stay and cook for yourself. The security is quite good - you CANNOT get into the hotel area without a room key. Of course, the drawback is that the "clubhouse", where the registration desk, and exercise room are, is not physically connected to the hotel room area. So when it rains or is cold, getting to your breakfast or exercise can be an issue.

Room Tip: It's in a pretty quiet area, I've never had a problem in any room.
1 Thank Terry G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I have stayed at this property several times and the staff is always warm and friendly. However, the upkeep has declined. While there the room always felt damp. The linoleum floor in the kitchen area seemed damp and your shoes slid a little. The towels and toilet paper always felt damp which wasn't too appealing. I am not sure if that is from the air conditioning or what, but wasn't comfortable. The hotel is in a good location and several restaurants close by along with the interstate.

1 Thank Brad C
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Denise was an excellent example of southern hospitality, she was pleasant every time I saw her, great customer service skills! She did the food service for some mornings and in the evenings. Rooms were okay but the carpets could use cleaning in some of them. The doors were out of adjustment and tended to slam loudly, good air conditioning, and TVs. Comfortable beds but terrible in room coffee, lobby coffee was much better, internet was not the best, had to be wired in rooms and wi-fi only in gatehouse/lobby area. Tiny fitness room with only a couple of options and often full. I was with a group of ladies and a bigger living area would have been nice for the evenings that we gathered in one room

2 Thank weosea
Hurst, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Stayed one night here. Booked through Price Line. Nice, roomy, extended stay hotel. Everything worked, was clean and nice. Some parts could use some paint, but nothing bad. On Wednesday evenings, they have a BBQ, which for us meant free hamburgers, beans, beer and wine. NICE. I'd stay here again.

The only downer part was the cost of sodas from the Market. $5.50 for 2 16oz sodas is robbery. Drive to Walmart instead of buying at the Market.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank David76054
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 23 June 2012

It's a good place, specially if you're traveling with more than a couple. They offer two bedrooms for a reasonable price. From monday to wednesday you got free dinner (snacks with complimentary beer and wine). They clean the room everyday and the breakfast is also included.
Unfortunately it's located near I-65 and if you have problems falling asleep you might want to bring some ear plugs.
Another problem is the thin wall dividing the suites. You will hear everything your fellow neighbor does. Try to get the higher floor (third), so you have to worry just about people besides you.
Finally, they allow pets in this hotel.

Room Tip: It is mandatory to get a room in the third floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank gustavocortereal
Orange, TX
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Recently spent three nights here for a meeting I was attending. While the staff I did see (not many) were very friendly, this hotel is in huge need of updating.
I'm still not sure what the odor was in the hallway but at least it did not carry into my room. Internet was marginal at best.
Somehow they managed to take a nice large room and have very little storage space. I will admit the room was clean although the furniture had certainly been there for years and was showing a lot of wear.
There are several (and varied) eating options close by and a Wal-Mart about 1/2 mile away to grab the things you forgot.
After talking with several others at the meeting, I will choose an alternate location for my stay next time.

Room Tip: Don't stay by the elevators. The combination of them and the laundry will ......
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Washington, DC
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I was really disappointed with this Marriott property. The last time I was in Birmingham I stayed at ALoft, but it was booked solid so I decided to go on Priceline and try my luck with a name your own price in the Homewood area. My "Wheel of Fortune" stopped on Residence Inn Homewood for $79. I got there and the lobby and gathering room were okay in that generic mid-tier city hotel way. I was hoping it would be one of those places where you get to your room and are surprised at the amazing cleanliness and quality of it. No such luck. I got to my floor and it was noisy, there was a shop vac in the middle of the hall and sketchy looking handi-men all over the place. I told myself to turn off my stereotypes and keep it moving. Then I got to my room and opened the door and it smelled like stale cigarette smoke, like a cheap, dirty motel room. The Kitchenette was all plain off white, aging laminate countertops. The "stove" was a grungy, dented up aluminum stovetop and two ugly electric burners. I wasn't doing well, I couldn't get past the smell. The bed looked okay. The mattress looked new, which concerned me because wondered if it had just been swapped out because of bed bugs or something. The bathroom was kind of gross, the top was stained, there was a dead fly by the toilet and it looked like the extent of the cleaning they had done was to fold the leading edge of the toliet paper into a triangle. There was a tissue box on the counter by the bathroom sink and all the tissues had been pulled out and then haphazardly stuffed back in to the top, just barely back in. It took me a long time to get myself to a place where I could go near the bed. I put my luggage on a bar stool in the kitchen and sat in the chair for a long time. After my business event, I came back and sat in the chair again for a long time. I went to the lobby to see if the front desk had a spare iPhone charger and, Nina, was AWESOME. She helped me and got me the manager's iPhone charger. I love her. They had a "social" going on and were serving baked potato halfs in the common room. The potatoes looked dried and gross. I went back to my room; I finally got drowsy enough to go get in the bed. But I left all the lights on because I've heard that bed bugs come out only when its dark. I didn't want to take any chances. In the morning, I got the heck up out of there at 8a.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
TownePlace Suites Birmingham Homewood
Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham / Lakeshore Drive
La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Homewood
Candlewood Suites Birmingham/Homewood
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Homewood
Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Wildwood

Been to Residence Inn Birmingham Homewood? Share your experiences!