“Horrid Breakfast, Mold in the Room”

Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview
Ranked #25 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I have a first-floor room facing the back wall. There is mold in my room. The breakfast is mostly inedible. Go to IHOP and save your $11 per breakfast. The waffles are especially bland and dense.

Room Tip: Check for mold.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ericgross

Reviewed 1 February 2012

My husband & I were only in the area for one night and needed to stay close to highway 459. This hotel's location was great. It is just off the interchange of highway 280 and 459, near restaurants. We had a nice supper at Cracker Barrel, then checked in. Our son who was nearby came to see us there. The sofa seating came in handy.
Our only complaint was the tight fit in the bathroom and closet area. We took turns leaving the room the next morning so there would be space for the other to dress and prepare for the day.
New to Marriott, we were unaware that breakfasts are not included. We should have read the materials more carefully. If you want to eat down in the dining area it will cost around $10 per person.
I do not care for the arrangement where someone is supposed to serve you after you go through a line. Perhaps there was a hostess that I missed but when I arrived there seemed to be no order to it and no one to ask. I rather stumbled through the process of going through a line with no tray to put my glass and plate on and it was very awkward. Once I got almost done trying to find what was where a young woman appeared to tell me that she had placed silverware for me and guided me to a table set for two. She clearly thought I was with a man she saw in line behind me. I would have preferred to select my own seat and avoid this embarrassment. Once seated, I was expected to stay put and wait for her to have time to check back and see if I needed hot coffee which I frequently did and she frequently did not. It was, once again, awkward and less than satisfactory. Their system is a strange mix of self serve and sit to be served which I suppose is supposed to make one feel that they get some attention for the money they pay. I would not choose to do this again.
Overall we had a pretty comfortable night's sleep (need more support for mattress) and went on our way on time. It seemed clean.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank sullyfamly
Reviewed 16 January 2012

This hotel has a poor location, in the mornings construction work next door made it impossible to sleep. The snack bar prices were outrageous. I would sleep in my car before I stay at this hotel again!! When we got there, there were cigerette butts and a cigerette pack laying on the balcony. When they came to clean the room, I guess they found them. When we got back from our days shopping I had a voicemail from someone saying if I smoked in the room again they would charge me an extra 250 dollars for smoking in the room.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael Y
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Stayed here for a customer visit with a few miles of the hotel. The restaurant was staffed with courteous and friendly folks. Breakfast only at this hotel's restaurant. Front desk staff was also very nice.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Tech-trekker
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I have stayed here several times, only paying $40/night through Priceline. No free breakfast and coffee only for early birds. Corporate owned property.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 19 October 2011

The hotel is clean and the staff is very nice and professional. Meeting / conference rooms are large and comfortable.
Sleeping rooms are also very large and clean. Comfortable bed too.
Great location for travelers both business and personal - plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2011

The font desk staff is the worse I have ever encountered - they are very rude and snooty.Not at all helpful.

Room Tip: Don't stay here - one of the mattresses is ripped, carpet into the bath is frayed back fron the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank TessEllis
Travellers also viewed these Birmingham hotels
SpringHill Suites Birmingham Colonnade
Hampton Inn Birmingham-Colonnade 280
#26 of 80 in Birmingham
Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham SE/Liberty Park
Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Grandview
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham/280 East-Eagle Point

Been to Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview

Address: 4300 Colonnade Pkwy, Birmingham, AL 35243-2399 (Formerly Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade)
Region: United States > Alabama > Birmingham
Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#29 Business Hotel in Birmingham
Price Range: £67 - £102 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview 3*
The Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade hotel is proud to share our newly renovated state-of-the-art lobby and stylish new guest rooms. Located just 25 minutes from downtown and the airport, this Birmingham, AL hotel is close to the University of Alabama at Birmingham. The exciting new features at this Birmingham, AL hotel include inviting, flexible spaces to work or relax, free Internet access throughout, access to the latest news via our GoBoard and The Bistro - Eat. Drink. Connect.® offering enhanced breakfast, dinner and beverage options. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Courtyard By Marriott Birmingham Colonnade Hotel Birmingham