“Nothing special”

Ranked #21 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Winchester, Virginia
“Nothing special”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Luckily we were planning to spend just one night, because this was not a pleasant hotel. The hot tub was closed and the pool was small. Our king room was rather small, and so was the bathroom. The location is somewhat poor, being back off the beaten path a little and squeezed between a couple other buildings. It was also a lengthy drive to anywhere interesting, and traffic was bad whenever we tried to go anywhere or come back. At check-in I was told that breakfast would be served from 6:30 to 9:30, which seemed to indicate that breakfast was included. After we went through the buffet line and sat down, we were handed a $24 bill by the wait staff. The servers in the restaurant were EXTREMELY pleasant, but the overall experience was somewhat forgettable.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
orlando, florida
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Recently stayed at this property June 19th. Was originally going to stay for 3 nights but after the first night I moved to another hotel. The room has some maintenance issues - leaking bathtub faucet, noisy vent, and worn fixtures and amenities. Also, when I checked in, the front desk manager seemed more annoyed than welcoming. Lastly, I rated this hotel 2 stars because I attempted to call the front desk twice the morning I checked out and couldn't get anyone to pick up the phone. It was not by the way, during a busy time in the morning.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed 16 June 2012

While our stay had 2 standout customer service experiences from Mieko at the front desk ( pardon me if i misspelled) and Mary in the restaurant the rest of the stay was poor. The AC is not working well, windows all have moisture in them leading to a musty room and hot hallways. You can only use the internet by hardwire in the room no wireless. The road noise is terrible most likely due to the poor windows. Above all when our room was not serviced on the second day and we called the desk to get more towels, both front desk person and the supervisor failed to apologize but instead let us know "that your room is checked off on the sheet as cleaned."

We had 9 rooms in total- we will never use this hotel again for our company or personal business and Marriott should reconsider who is running their brand at this location.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Scott S, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this review, 17 June 2012
Thank you for your feedback on your experience with our property. I want to apologize for our condition, and want to let you know that we are scheduled for a total renovation early 2013. I also want to apologize for the lack of concern with your room not being cleaned. I have shared your comments with our staff as a learning experience so we have the opportunity in our effort to better our customer service opportunities. Thank you again for your feedback.
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Well, the first night, we couldn't get our door to work. Needless to say, the lock was broken. So we were given the LAST king room with a broken door. (you could walk right in without a key)

Then there were a bunch of people out front drinking and smoking as you pull up. It reeked of both alcohol and cigarettes.

The second room had two doubles and was still just ho hum. The place is highly outdated and I found a silverfish on my bed. YUCK! My daughter had dirty feet from running around the room barefooted and as I was leaving, there was a lady bringing her dog in with her. What that tells me is that my child was possibly running around on remnants of animal in our room.

The hotel is also next to the interstate and it is very very loud. Even the air unit won't mask the sound.

This is NOT what you would expect from a courtyard hotel. I highly suggest staying elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012
Scott S, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
I would like to apologize for the inconvenience with your stay. I appreciate your comments, and concerns. I have looked into the lock issue and had our maintenance department correct the issue. All Marriott properties are non-smoking and should someone smoke in the room they will be charged a refreshing fee of $250.00 dollars. I am not sure if you notified someone, as we could have asked the guests who were disturbing you to gather somewhere else.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we appreciate your business.
Alabama
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I chose this hotel for last weekend after reading the reviews here. We took a shopping trip to Birmingham and this hotel was convenient to the Summit. We checked in at about 6 p.m. and the front desk staff were rather short and not very friendly. We got to our room and there was a pile of nuts and bolts, etc in the bathroom floor. My fiance pulled the shower curtain back and there was NO faucet at all. Also, I made the reservation on Marriott.com and requested a feather-free room and foam pillows. All of our pillows were feather. I will say that when I called about needing to change rooms due to the faucet issue, by the time we hit the lobby, the front desk had already gotten our new keycards ready and just handed them to us and we were in business.
The room was "fine". We found ourselves not getting a very good night's sleep due to an old, outdated HVAC system that would not cool the room very well and the loud noise coming off the Interstate.
Overall, the place was okay. Definitely nothing special, and I have stayed in many better rooms for 115.00/night.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the even numbered side of the building. That may help with traffic noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Please accept our apologies for your arrival experience. Unfortunately our maintenance staff did not notify us he was working in your room and was not finished. I have asked my Front Office Manager to review the process of meeting special requests and to insure effective communication happens with housekeeping. I would also like to let you know that we are tentatively scheduled for a renovation sometime in the fall with a completion of December or early January. Hope you will return and experience our new look!
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I have a first-floor room facing the back wall. There is mold in my room. The breakfast is mostly inedible. Go to IHOP and save your $11 per breakfast. The waffles are especially bland and dense.

Room Tip: Check for mold.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank ericgross
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My husband & I were only in the area for one night and needed to stay close to highway 459. This hotel's location was great. It is just off the interchange of highway 280 and 459, near restaurants. We had a nice supper at Cracker Barrel, then checked in. Our son who was nearby came to see us there. The sofa seating came in handy.
Our only complaint was the tight fit in the bathroom and closet area. We took turns leaving the room the next morning so there would be space for the other to dress and prepare for the day.
New to Marriott, we were unaware that breakfasts are not included. We should have read the materials more carefully. If you want to eat down in the dining area it will cost around $10 per person.
I do not care for the arrangement where someone is supposed to serve you after you go through a line. Perhaps there was a hostess that I missed but when I arrived there seemed to be no order to it and no one to ask. I rather stumbled through the process of going through a line with no tray to put my glass and plate on and it was very awkward. Once I got almost done trying to find what was where a young woman appeared to tell me that she had placed silverware for me and guided me to a table set for two. She clearly thought I was with a man she saw in line behind me. I would have preferred to select my own seat and avoid this embarrassment. Once seated, I was expected to stay put and wait for her to have time to check back and see if I needed hot coffee which I frequently did and she frequently did not. It was, once again, awkward and less than satisfactory. Their system is a strange mix of self serve and sit to be served which I suppose is supposed to make one feel that they get some attention for the money they pay. I would not choose to do this again.
Overall we had a pretty comfortable night's sleep (need more support for mattress) and went on our way on time. It seemed clean.

• Stayed January 2012