“Should have had a better stay”

Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview
Ranked #23 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Anniston
“Should have had a better stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

Our room was newly renovated, but the air conditioner was horrible. Had a smell. Also, dust was flying everywhere. We paid $119. per night, and this hotel was certainly not up to the Marriott standard (as seems to be what we see now). I know this is a business, but guests should not have been charged full price since the hotel was under major construction. If Marriott does not raise standards, I and others will make our way to the Hilton.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Beth J, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Dear Evelyn D,

Thank you for your assessment of your recent stay with our hotel. We are coming to the end of our renovation. Your experience is very helpful in determining issues that remain. We want your stay to exceed your expectations. I would love to further discuss your experience. Please call me it would be great to know your room information and provide a resolve for you.

Beth J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Overall stay was okay, but would have been nice if alerted that renovation and construction was under way and the place would be in total dismay! Only stayed one night, so no construction work was being done while sleeping. The front entrance lobby area walls were cloth due to the major work going on. Sheet rock dust was everywhere. I understand the "under construction/be careful" rule, but this should not apply to the Courtyard "excellent value" experience advertised. The lobby cafe provided a hot buffet and coffee to go. Location was great too, since my final destination was only a mile away. One night stay was good, but should have been offered a discount under the circumstances at hand. Just think, if I had congestion problems, this place would have been a nightmare. An alert for “Construction work being done and the dates” on the web site and address on the phone when making reservation, would have been a great help.

Room Tip: Very close to Hwy 280 and I-459.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Beth J, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear P C,

Thank you for providing our hotel with feedback from your stay. Marriott.com does have information posted for the hotel renovation. A grey box is located in the middle of the screen when you choose to view the hotel rates. We also contact our guests prior to arrival via e-mail when addresses are provided to ensure that guests are aware of the conditions and our associates are informed to assist guests with other accommodations if needed. For our guests who are staying during the renovation we do provide breakfast free of charge for the inconvenience. Our biggest challenge has been when guests book through websites outside of marriott.com because the renovation information does not pull through only rates and guests are not asked to provide e-mails so we are unable to contact prior to arrival.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss further.

Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

I scored this on Priceline for $42, so it was pretty good for the price paid. Check in was fast and pleasant. The room was clean and nicely done. They said the rooms were all renovated. The lobby/first floor was still in extensive renovation but it didn't really bother us. They had a free continental breakfast which was good (not normally found at Courtyards, and probably only because the cafe was being renovated). Overall it was a good stay, but I might have been disappointed if I had paid full price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Beth J, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Dear Wildcat76,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am glad that you got a chance to take advantage of this special rate during our renovation. We can't wait to show off our new lobby and the Bistro. If you are traveling in the area again we would love the opportunity to host your stay.

Alabaster, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

We stayed in March 2013. It was the most horrible experience of customer service we have ever been involved with. If you go here and have no probelms with your room and can avoid the staff maybe your stay will be ok. The rooms are newly renovated. However, the AC was not working in our unit and it was a spiraling nightmare for that point on. Unfortunately, the property was in between GM's and we had to deal with the stand in GM. Wow. She was walking through the hotel in sweatpants and slippers if that tells you anything. Basically, as the guests, she blamed us for not handling the maintenance issue we had correctly. She preceeded to call me a liar when I reported to her the poor customer service we received from the front desk and said she would have to get her staff person's "side of the story." Who says that? We called Marriott's customer service while we were still at the hotel since she was unwilling to assist us. I think she felt like she had no one she had to answer to at that time and could do what she wanted. Our issue was escalated to the Office of Mr. Marriott for Consumer Affairs. This was on a Saturday and by the next Tuesday, our contact we had made said the hotel would be sending us a voucher which the "stand in" GM had previously refused to do. Honestly, we don't want to use the voucher because we never want to stay at a Marriott property again. I actually just tried calling reservations to use to voucher for my Mom on Mother's Day at a different Courtyard property and they would not accept my voucher, so there you go. My advice is stay at a Hilton property equivalent i.e., Hilton Garden Inn vs. a Courtyard and so on if at all possible!

Room Tip: Oh and when they finally moved us, it was to a interstate facing room so we couldn't sleep. If...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Beth J, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Dear Alison0212,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback on your experience. The treatment you describe is absolutely unacceptable. I am the new General Manager for this hotel and my priority is customer service. I will share your comments with the team and use this nightmare as a learning tool.

We value you as a guest of Marriott and hope to redeem your faith in our Brand. Please feel free to contact me to discuss any booking issues you are having with the hotel voucher that was provided to you or to further discuss this incident.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

Very disappointed that we were not told of the renovation. Couldn't use the indoor pool because of fine dust all over, Had to listen to loud saws & hammering during breakfast.
Staff was excellent. Couldn't understand why they placed the small frig under the sink where you would stub your toe every time you brushed your teeth or washed your face?? Had a hard time transferring our Marriott Reward points to go stay at another Marriott,

• Stayed April 2013
Beth J, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback. It is only through our guests that we understand, grow and change our procedures. I am the new General Manager for this hotel. We have implimented the practice of both calling and e-mailing all of our reservation during the remainder of our renovation. We do want you to be able to make an informed decision about your stay as our renovation will not be complete until later this spring.

I am glad that you were able to relocate to another Marriott and appreciate your loyalty to our hotels. Please reach out to me if I can assist you in the future.

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

This hotel is in a great location. It has a good breakfast. Our room was a suite with a balcony, which was very nice and roomy. The only draw back right now, they are under construction. I am sure when it is finished in a few months, it will be very nice. They have an indoor pool. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I would stay there again after construction is completed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for providing feedback for our hotel and staff. We are very excited about our renovation and believe that with it's completion later this spring we will have the perfect environment for our guests. We are very proud of our staff and love the opportunity to share reviews with them. We hope to have the opportunity to host your stay in the future.

Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

Mid-twenties married couple; no children. Dates visited: 02/15/13 - 02/17/13 Quality: The overall quality of our stay was very good and enjoyable. My reasoning for a 'Very Good' rating are for two reason. The building is currently under renovations which started January 1st and are due to be completed on April 1st 2013 according to a statement on the Courtyard Marriott website and a letter to customers on the front desk counter. This factors in simply because of the construction noise which runs from 9am - 5pm. For being under renovations, you see surprisingly little foot traffic with construction workers and you hear noise every so often. From what I could see, the renovations seem to be to paint, carpet, furniture and other cosmetic aspects to the guest rooms. We were originally in a room on the 2nd floor and later moved to a room on the 4th floor. The 4th floor has been completely renovated, so go ahead and request a room on that floor if available. Second reason for a 'Very Good' rating in the area of quality would be the breakfast portion of our stay. Breakfast is NOT included, but you have two choices; a continental breakfast which is $8.95 or an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet for $10.95. We ate at the buffet and enjoyed it, but a $10.95 per person fee is a little steep for some people. This includes drinks and food so when compared to some breakfast establishments, it isn't too highly overpriced when everything is included. They have your normal orange and apple juice, milk, and southern breakfast foods; breakfast meats, biscuits, gravy, eggs, potatoes and etc. Coffee bar is also available in the common areas for free. Facilities: The grounds are well maintained and the common areas are very nice with plenty of seating and there is a fireplace and television for you to enjoy. The parking lot had plenty of parking spaces and I was told that they were almost completely booked during casual conversation. On the ground floor you have an indoor pool and jacuzzi, computer with printer, food/snack store, and exercise room. The exercise room is on the smaller side with a bench and dumb bells, treadmill, and elliptical. They offer both WiFi internet and wired internet is located in the guest rooms. The guest rooms are nice, both the non-renovated and the renovated rooms; biggest difference is mostly cosmetic in the updates. The beds were nice and I found them to be a good balance of firm and soft. The hotel building runs parallel to the interstate so the rooms on the interstate side will hear some noise from traffic. Our 2nd floor room was on the interstate side, but the noise was not too bad. When we moved to our 4th floor room, we were on the opposite side and there was absolutely no noise noticed. Also, the hotel is located perfectly with access to the interstate, restaurants, stores and entertainment. Service: The staff of this Courtyard were great and I dealt mostly with a lady by the name of Linda at the front counter. Upon our arrival everything went smooth. After we got into our room, my wife discovered that the shower did not have functioning hot water. We were in a rush so she took a lukewarm shower, but upon our return to the hotel I spoke with Linda about the shower issue. She quickly and without any question checked to see what other rooms were available and switched our room, which is how we ended up on the newly renovated 4th floor. She stated that she was going to give us a complimentary breakfast buffet for our troubles, I did not even have to push for that, she did it immediately. Every other staff member we encountered during our stay were just as kind and professional. Overall, I would give this hotel an excellent rating across the board but the lack of a free basic breakfast is disappointing and the price of the buffet might be too much for some larger families at $10.95 each. The renovation has a slight pull at the facilities aspect but I would definitely rate this an excellent once renovations are completed.

Room Tip: As of Mid-February the 4th floor is the only renovated floor so request that floor. They other floor...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cody1113
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We appreciate the positive feedback. As the new General Manager it is great to look at our staffs reviews and see the impact they have created during our guests stay. We are extremely excited about our renovation and can't wait to show off the finished product later this spring. We would love to host your visit if you are traveling to Birmingham in the future.