Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
US$131
US$128
La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Homewood(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$89
Hyatt Place Birmingham / Inverness(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$101
Birmingham Marriott(Birmingham)
US$175
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsfront deskindoor poolroom was cleannice propertysummit mallhome away from homelobby areaa wonderful staywould stay here againstaff was very friendlyi highly recommend this hoteleasy accessbistrochristyelfconveniencesofa
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel while in town for a funeral. After a day of work and a 6 hour drive, I was ready to relax! As I got ready to retire for the night, I turned the covers back to find a bed bug alive and crawling!!! I immediately contacted the front desk. The attendant at the desk showed absolutely not concern and offered no solution - only to say that they have never had this problem before! Therefore, I asked to be moved to another room. The 4 of us that were traveling had to pack our things and move to another room. A housekeeping lady brought the key up and I showed the bug to her in which she confirmed that it was a bed bug and apologized for the inconvenience (seemingly what the front desk attendant should have done!). That morning on my way to breakfast, I stopped by the front desk to express my concern and to see how Courtyard would handle the inconvenience. The assistant manager began to tell me that she had heard about the incident and would be going up to the room to check to see if it was indeed a bed bug because she had been in the business for 19 years and had never known them to have bed bugs. She suggested that it was probably a beetle or something since they were doing some construction work to the building after the ice storm! Are you serious? I don't care what type of bug it was, it should not have been crawling in my bed!!! Furthermore, with 19 years of experience, you should have far better customer relations/customer service skills!!! She offered no apology or compensation for the incident. When I got ready to check out, I asked to see the assistant manager to see if she had "checked things out" and she was over in the bistro cooking. The clerk told her that I wanted to see her and she told him to tell me that she was cooking. I assured him that I would be contacting Marriott's corporate office to discuss that incident. Before contacting Marriott, I decided to speak with the manager to give him/her an opportunity to address the issue. The manager was appalled by the conduct of the employee and offered to refund the points used for the stay as well an additional 10,000 reward points. Needless to say, I will NEVER stay there again!! I will still he contacting Marriott's corporate office to express my displeasure of the incident!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Beth J, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Beth J,

Dear KIMRJ2,

I am so glad that I had the opportunity to speak with you and provide a resolve. Our hotel prides it's self on customer service and providing a resolve for guests when a problem arrives. Your issue should have been handled differently and as we discussed in our phone conversation the hotel would provide follow up training for all associates involved to ensure that we are looking at the real issue, which is taking care of our guests.

Marriott Guests Relations is always available to escalate issues with our hotels, please feel free to reach out to myself or Marriott Customer Relations if you would like to discuss this incident further. We thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and the opportunity to grow through your feedback.

Best regards.

BethJ

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Stayed here on a business trip. Drove to the property at night, with GPS, and it was still hard to find. The front of the hotel is actually the back, as it faces away from the main drag. The negatives: hard to find, no microwave, no small sitting table in the room; the positives: very nice indoor pool and "spa" area, small onsite restaurant with good food and a very good complimentary breakfast, good food selection, not just carbs, waffles, and pastries. We were cordially greeted when we arrived and got our choice of floors. The property and the rooms seem well maintained. We would stay here again if the need arises.

1  Thank drj999999
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed overnight in November 2013. This courtyard is a bit outdated - leaking faucet in the tub, older carpets, old fixtures. Beds are on the softer side, so if you are used to firm beds, you may not have a good night of sleep. Overall I'd rate it a 3 but they provide Paul Mitchell hair products, which is awesome (great shampoo and not tested on animals). So, 4-circle it is. Staff was very nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Beth J, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear RTW123,

Thank you for providing valuable feedback for our hotel. We appreciate your time and love to hear about our rooms from our guests perspective. We were renovated in 2013 with new carpet and additional upgrades are scheduled. We are always looking to improve our offerings and hope to have the opportunity to host your stay in the future.

Best regards,

BethJ

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I stayed here for three weeks as part of a corporate new-hire group.
When I was told I would be staying in a Courtyard, I thought, "Oh...great. Another cookie-cutter Courtyard."
And that was true, as far as the rooms and building itself go.
(It isn't a bad thing. I like consistency.)
But the service here is what set this property apart from the rest.
The rooms are the new, updated Courtyard style and are comfortable.
Everyone working the desk and around the property in general was very friendly.
Always a "hello," "how are you," "how was your day," etc. and always available for anything necessary.
The Bistro was good, typical Courtyard style, again not a bad thing.
The pool and Jacuzzi were not working for part of my stay and they looked dingy anyway, so I wasn't upset about them being out of service.
The property is a little out of the way but still close to everything you need.
It's RIGHT off of 280 and not far at all from the Summit and Target, etc. but the airport is quite a distance. (The cab was almost $40!)
Overall, a pleasant experience. If my travels ever return me to Birmingham, I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fridge - and a room that doesn't face the highway! The rooms ending in even numbers don't face the highway and are the most quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Carl S
Beth J, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Carl S,

Thank you for providing the great feedback. Our hotel is surrounded by a lot of very similar hotels that offer comparable amenities. We stress that it is our people who make the difference. Our associates love to hear success stories and I will share your comments with them. We appreciate your loyalty and would love the opportunity to host your stay in the future.

Best regards,

Beth J

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Nice hotel, but under staffed. Our room needs new fixtures and an air unit. We stayed for 4 nights, and only received towels, bed made up, and empty the trash cans. Very poor service. The staff is very friendly, but the person at check-in, also handle the Bistro.

Room Tip: The parking is mostly at the far end of the building. The higher the room number the closer you are to the parking lot.

Dear Giuseppes1933,

We only grow through our guest's feedback. I am sorry that we failed to meet your expecations. I will review your comments with our housekeeping staff to ensure that they are following proper procedures for cleaning rooms that are staying fo multiple nights. I am glad that you enjoyed the lobby area, we are very proud of our hotel.

The hotel does not schedule only one person to work both the Bistro and the front desk, I can only assume that someone failed to show up for a shift. My apologies for the inconvenience this caused.

We pride ourselves on service and we would love the opportunity to redeem your faith in our hotel if you are traveling to the Birmingham area in the future. If you would like to further discuss any issues please reach out to me.

Beth J